New Soundtrackish something.

Frederik.Sjölund

Regulator
Hi all!
I ended up experimenting last night with some drums and orchestral samples and the result i got is merged with an older work in progress. A WIP.. thats the short for Work In Progress. However, i would like to introduce a new short for this industry alone.. a TIP.
Here is my T.I.P. (Tune In Progress)

I know, it needs to be cleaned up and stuff. But yeah, its a start
laugh.gif

Cheers!

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
Well, for someone who doesn't know anything about music other than what he hears and really doesn't play any instrument, you still make some nice sounding pieces.
It's still somewhat confusing as to what direction the music is going, it seems like you have a "main idea" which is continually being explored on "chuncks" played after one another. Not that there aren't any good transitions, there are! But emotionally I don't get much out of it other than getting introduced to some nice themes/rhythms and your orchestra samples sounds nice as always (is it the Gold version you've upgraded to? - what program are you using it with/writing the music in?)
Maybe if you try to add a more fluent/calm (near)center part and then build up from that to a climax and let it calm down again. - You can also explore the use of the Tubular Bells - they are able to play more than one note per measure - though playing repeating notes quickly after one another isn't what they are best at.
Some of the added percussion sounds sounds a bit dull (sounds a little like bricks/stones smashed together - not much ressonance) to me, like their ambience is in a rehearsal room while the rest of the orchestra is in a concert hall of sorts... maybe if you try to adjust some of the reverb paramaters and maybe pan the sounds out a bit they'll sound more "natural" with the rest of the "orchestra".

Frederik.Sjölund

Regulator
Thanks alot
smile.gif

I was working on the song some more but then i realized that my efforts was taking the song backwards and making it worse. So i scrapped all the changes from that day and last night i decided to have another go at continuing with the song. And this time it turned out pretty nice
smile.gif

Here is the latest update: http://www.freds3d.com/wip/UnghaBungha-07.mp3

It is still a WIP and im starting to get more and more ideas on where to take this project.

Btw. Im using Cubase as sequencer and the samplings i used are EastWest Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Gold and EastWest Quantum Leap Stormdrum

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
Interesting.
Please let us know how your project progresses!

As to the EastWest instruments, I'm curious, how much editing do you do? are the instruments "playable out of the box" or do you need to do some editing to get the sound "right" - I can imagine that there must be a whole lot of different "instruments" in those packages, and to use it fully it really requires some sort of "programming" - that is, shifting back and forth between samples of the same instrument for it to get a decent phrase - that is, if you have phrases with diferent types of notes (legato, staccato, spiccato, accents, tenuti, portamento, sforzando crescendi aso.)?

Frederik.Sjölund

Regulator
The instruments are playable out of the box, as you say.
All you gotta do is use a sequencer that supports VST Plugins and install the instruments. Then you fire it all up and start cranking
laugh.gif

I do alot of tweaking with settings in the end or middle of a project if i want to somehow get more realism. There are a bunch of features you can use such as filter, envelopes, equalizer, delay, reverb and so on.

(Sorry for the late reply, btw.)

chasw

Very impressive, FS. Has a good feel to it. Hope you continue until its finished. Some people may not realize how much skill is required to compose and produce this kind of music. - CW

Sepheritoh

Another great song from you. You really have the soundtrack feel under control. Your orchestrations generally works very well, but somehow the percussions feel out of place. Maybe it needs just a tad more reverb - I am not really sure.

Great work.