Driving monitors

Dorsetmike

Interesting, but ..................

http://www.co-operative.coop/corpor...es-groundbreaking-new-Young-Driver-Insurance/

Why limit it to the young, extend the scheme to all drivers, there are just as many eejits in the older age brackets.

I doubt many youngsters drive Porsche Cayenne turbos or similar high powered/priced status symbols down the outside lane of motorways at 100mph plus, usually the same ones that ignore most road signs (turn left only? pah that's only for the peasants, watch me force 4 lanes of traffic to give way; what are those pretty yellow lines for*? what does disabled only mean in a car park?)

(* in UK single or double yellow lines at the side of a road indicate restricted or banned parking)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I would like to see this implemented in the US, too ... There are lots of very responsible kids that are forced to pay through the nose for insurance because the majority had, in the past, driven like hellfire on the roads.

The flip side is that, at least here, there are many many cars on the road that don't have insurance, even though it's the law. Those of us who are honest, are paying higher premiums because of the idiots who are breaking the law by not having insurance. Their licenses and car registrations should be pulled until they are in compliance ... but organizations like the ALCU state "that's unfair and discriminatory ... ". What is unfair about abiding the law when it comes to having proper insurance?

And I quite agree with Mike ... it should be across the board and apply to all drivers regardless of age. Good driving should be rewarded, and those who drive badly should be paying more. Driving is a privilege - not a right!!

Overall, from our travels in the UK recently, road travel was lots more "civilized" as compared to the US. Loved the roundabouts - a far superior way to move cars through intersections than we have here in the states.

methodistgirl

The problem here is the same but also pedistrians. I walk on
the sidewalk and I have to endure an obstacle course to get
to my church any day of the week. Other places and other
countries have a special something to walk on besides a side
walk that is a crumbling mess full of trash cans. Even special
bridges to walk on to help cross some freeways. When I do
walk to church I also take a chance on either getting hit or
fall over someone's garbage bin or get smacked with a
tree limb.:banghead: :nut: Some places here in town don't have a
sidewalk. I have to walk on the streat.
judy tooley

teddy

Duckmeister
We have tax disk recognition cameras in this country so that you can not escape taxing your car. The insurance companies could also issue a yearly disk, to be displayed in the windscreen so that the police could immediately check whether the vehicle is insured. The new EEC regulations will stop insurance companies setting your premiums by taking into account your age and sex. At the moment young female drivers are deemed to be safer than young male drivers so pay lower car insurance. This will be illegal if the powers that be get their way. I am sure that if this happens it will not be long before very fat people (like me) claim that they should not have to pay higher life assurance premiums, just because they usually die sooner than fit people. And why should I be discriminated against if I wish to drink heavily while I am driving? Its not fair.

The lunatics HAVE taken over the asylum.

teddy

Dorsetmike

Teddy, I think you'll find the cameras "read" the registration number, that is then checked against the vehicle records office in Swansea, the records now include MOT and insurance details. When you apply for registration renewal on line you won't succeed if your MOT and Insurance are not up to date.

(MOT = annual roadworthiness test for vehicles over 3 years old)

teddy

Duckmeister
So do we really need tax disks Mike. It also appears that there are a lot of cars on the road that are not registered to anyone, and therefore not taxed or insured. I am sure you can imagine who owns most of these vehicles!

teddy

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Mike,

In lots of ways, England is ahead of the rest of the world on things like MOT. We have lots of cars on the roads here that should have been retired years ago ... the UK seems to be on top of things when it comes to road safety and being able to check on whether ones vehicle is insured or not, even while traveling about the country.

There are those here who buy a one month insurance package so that they can register the car for another year ... the rest of the year, they are uninsured or under-insured. That is why we (the good guys who have insurance all the time) are required to also have 'uninsured' and 'under-insured' motorist coverage. If the law stipulates the absolute minimal insurance one must have, why on earth do I have to pay an additional premium for one who is 'under-insured' or 'uninsured'? Most unfair.

The insurance laws have been unfair for years when it discriminates against young male drivers having to pay higher premiums. I've seen countless young females driving about steering with their knees, texting with one hand, doing their lipstick with the other, all whilst traveling 80 mph on the open highways. Ok, male drivers might be more aggressive, but at least they have both hands on the wheel. :nut:

Still, we pay about $1,200 (USD) to insure our two cars each year. Mine is a 2004 Jetta, and Mary's is a 2006 Honda CR-V. Registration renewal in the US gets cheaper as the car ages. I was due this year, bought a two year tag for $204 (USD).

The US could really take lessons from the UK ... and I wish they would. Truly enjoyed touring England on the motorways, and driving on the proper side of the road.

teddy

Duckmeister
Lars. Statisics show that in England young men have more accidents and more expensive ones than young women, hence the insurance premiums. To tax my Porsche is about £350 per annum. Thats fully comprehensive and also protects my no claims bonus in the event of a claim. At the moment my 23 year old daughter can insure her 1 litre hatchback fully comp for £420.00 per ann. As she gets older, and so does the car you would think it should get cheaper, but I expect it will increase. I have had 1 claim in over 40 years of driving and am qualified to teach to advanced levels so I should be paying next to nothing, but it does not work like that.

treddy

Dorsetmike

One way to get cheaper car insurance in UK is to change insurers each year, they give "introductory discounts" to "new customers" then hike the premiums the following year, so you change to another "introductory offer".

No claims bonus is transferable. I pay about £200 fully comp and including breakdown recovery.

Road tax (=registration renewal) depends on vehicle emissions, the "greener" your car the less you pay, electric and some small dual fuel cars a free, Daughters Mazda2 1.4 turbo diesel is £30 per year, my 1.5L petrol Mazda is £125 per year or £68.75 for 6 months. Chelsea tractors (big 4x4s) can be over £400, and should be a lot more to my mind. Most of them the only time they go off road is to park on the pavement/sidewalk.

teddy

Duckmeister
I agree Mike. Because I insure three cars I first go on the net and then haggle. Last year I wangled 80 pounds off the premium plus free breakdown and homestart. My daughter reduced her premium by over 200 ponds using the same method. It pays to do it with household insurance too. Incidentially I got her breakdown cover for under 17 pounds.

teddy