New York, New York..........

teddy

Duckmeister
My daughter has just returned from a week in New york on a Uni trip. It was a revelation. She found everyone she met clean and tidy, friendly and helpful. She liked the fact that there were police on every street corner, unlike England were they are very hard to find. It made her feel safe. She enjoyed the food finding it to her taste and relatively inexpensive. We always follow the rule when abroad that if you eat where the locals eat you will get good inexpensive food. Her and her friends found a strange, almost ghostly presence around Ground Zero, as if the spirits of those murdered were still there.
The question is has the tragic murder of all those people on the 9th of September caused a change in the population, bringing them closer together, rather like that which happened in London after the blitz bombings of the war, and strengthening their national pride irrespective of colour race or religion. Is New York now a safer friendlier place than it was before. I would be interested in members opinions on this and other countries experiences following disasters of any kind.

teddy

Alban Berg

Banned
Glad to hear that!

My daughter has just returned from a week in New york on a Uni trip. It was a revelation. She found everyone she met clean and tidy, friendly and helpful. She liked the fact that there were police on every street corner, unlike England were they are very hard to find. It made her feel safe. She enjoyed the food finding it to her taste and relatively inexpensive. We always follow the rule when abroad that if you eat where the locals eat you will get good inexpensive food. Her and her friends found a strange, almost ghostly presence around Ground Zero, as if the spirits of those murdered were still there.
The question is has the tragic murder of all those people on the 9th of September caused a change in the population, bringing them closer together, rather like that which happened in London after the blitz bombings of the war, and strengthening their national pride irrespective of colour race or religion. Is New York now a safer friendlier place than it was before. I would be interested in members opinions on this and other countries experiences following disasters of any kind.

teddy

The last time I went was in 1980! Long time ago! Things weren't so good. People were nice indeed but the food! The food! and the city was a bit dirty...Good change!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjQuDXThoPo&feature=fvst

Martin

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Teddy, I'm so glad that your daughter had a good time and has safely returned home.
From what I have observed post 9-11-01, the good feelings and sense of togetherness was a shortlived phenomenon indeed. I think that by now most of us are back to the individual "rat race" of individual pursuits and providing for our families. I don't mean that there is any increased cruelty or extra nastiness, but basically things have returned to pretty much the way they have always been in New York, as in any other large American city.
I think that the absence of a national military draft has most people not even realizing that many in this country--and quite a few New Yorkers--are serving in the Armed Forces and fighting in at least 2 wars--with maybe a third one on the horizon.
IMHO.

teddy

Duckmeister
Sorry to hear things have slipped back Steve. There must have been a wonderful atmosphere of togetherness before. Is the position of so many police around normal. Has it always been like that? It must surely have reduced petty crime and anti social behavour, which is a big problem here.

teddy

White Knight

Sorry to hear things have slipped back Steve. There must have been a wonderful atmosphere of togetherness before. Is the position of so many police around normal. Has it always been like that? It must surely have reduced petty crime and anti social behavour, which is a big problem here.

teddy

No, Teddy it wasn't always like that. But keep in mind that the police presence your daughter noted was probably concentrated in midtown Manhattan and near the site of the terrorists attacks in downtown Manhattan. The outer boroughs--Brooklyn, The Bronx and Queens--where most of the working paisans live are not the beneficiaries of such 24/7 protection as seems to be afforded the richer denizens and precints of Manhattan--where Emperor Bloomberg just happens to reside as well.

teddy

Duckmeister
Thats a shame Steve. We had a similar situation under the last government where Blair had all the traffic in London stooped so he could sweep past the peasants in his motorcade. Previous Prime Ministers were quite happy to wander around and even sit on the beach with their families. Some of these politicians have their heads too far up their a$%&%.

teddy

White Knight

Thats a shame Steve. We had a similar situation under the last government where Blair had all the traffic in London stooped so he could sweep past the peasants in his motorcade. Previous Prime Ministers were quite happy to wander around and even sit on the beach with their families. Some of these politicians have their heads too far up their a$%&%.

teddy

You have nailed it perfectly, Teddy. This man is so arrogant and patronizing that at times it beggars adequate description.

OLDUDE

Hi teddy'
I'm sad that you have forgotten how to spell the common usage synonym for anus

teddy

Duckmeister
Sorry John. I was in fear of the MODS. Next time I will spell it &$$£%**&

teddy

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
What? You still fear us? :lol::lol::lol:

Well, if something gets too raunchy, the 'censor' will automatically kick in and replace nasties with ***.

OLDUDE

I've just tried this thread and the language appalls me.
That *** seems to be particularly unpleasant

John

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Blessed duckmeister ted,

Thank you for your admonishment - I will know better next time :cry:

btw: Maybe cuneiform would be a better choice ;)

southernparks

i believe her but it's a one week perspective

i need to know first what is exactly a disaster, because there are many things that you may call a disaster in the country level. the question is how you look at them. for example if a rocket fall 100 km from where i live it doesn't change anything in my daily life. i don't feel that people are more friendly or unite but it might affect on the general atmosphere and it always affect on the media (if taken casualties). recently i think it's also make changes in the politic level and make some extremists to thrive.
in general i think that it's more that life continues as usual. i guess it's the same everywhere.
back to NY, it might be that some NY people are always friendly, clean and unite anyway, no connection with the before and after 9/11.