What do/did you do?

Dorsetmike

In answer to Colin in another thread, thought it might be better as a new thread

If its not too personal what was your job?

Colin, in the "you bend 'em we mend 'em brigade" I started as air radar mechanic, moved up to air radar fitter, ended up as systems fitter which involved radar, nav instrunents and missile guidance on V bombers. Spent quite a few of the years instructing, teaching others how to "mend 'em"

Servicing aircraft was very much a stop and go activity, you get them ready to fly, see them off then go and play cards/games, read or sleep until they land which could be 5 or more hours later, then tear around like a blue assed fly to get them ready to go again.

Airline work is probably a lot different as I would think there is a more steady stream of comings and goings.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
For my non musical life ... the part that really put the meat and potatoes on the table, I've been a cook, alternate foreman for mail services at Disneyland, institutional sales for Allen organs, Allen organ technician, commercial bus driver, museum archives coordinator, and the last stint as an electronic tester/engineering assistant until 2006. At that point a became semi-retired.

Musically, I've been a church organist since 1961, and still 'tickling the ivories', although most are plastic now.
I've had some wonderful playing experiences over the years and played some very remarkable organs: Mormon Tabernacle, Salt Lake City (UT), St. Peters (the Vatican) in Rome, Dom Kathedral, Salsburg Austria, and more recently, Wimborne Minster (UK) [thanks for Dorsetmike for arranging that] and the new Frobenius organ in Jørlunde Kirke in Denmark, where I also played a concert in September.

I have been a member of this forum since August 2006, and a staff member since January 2007.
I am also an Administrator on our sister forum, Talk Classical.

OLDUDE

I have been retired now for 16 years, following a career in two companies nominally as an Industrial Chemist.
This started as a Chemical Analyst, then Research Chemist covering topics such as Metallurgy, Ceramics, Refractories, Refractory Glass, Chemical Engineering and positions such as Sen. Research Assistant, Production Manager, Technical Manager and bizarrely in my final years as a Quality Control Systems Controller who obtained Quality Control Certification for several separate groups within my, by now, international company.
Within my career I gained qualifications in Chemistry, Ceramics, Refractories and Materials.
My interest in Jazz started when I was 16, and still continues 62 years later.