• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

The new organ in Frauenkirche, Dresden.

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
The recontructed Dresden Frauenkirche (Germany), was inaugurated this year, and what an amazing effort! Everything has been meticulously rebuild, stone for stone. The Frauenkirche has a fantastic (and tragic) history - including the Gottfried Silbermann organ, on which Johann Sebastian Bach himself gave the inauguration concert on December 2, 1736!

A new organ has been constructed for the Dresden Frauenkirche by the german pipe organ builder Kern. I have not heard the organ myself yet, but have no reason to doubt that it is of very fine quality. Unfortunately it was decided not to reconstruct the organ the same way the church was reconstructed, even though it could have been done.

The new organ is simply a modern "standard" organ, like hundreds of other organs with tracker key-action of similar size found in churches around the world (even though it may, or may not, be of higher quality than the majority). Some of the voices has been build in a fashion to resemble the original Silbermann organ, but any real resemblance will be completely obscured by the fact that the new organ is tuned in modern (standard) equal temperament (!), instead of the original modified meantone, or perhaps a well-tempered temperature such as Kirnberger (III) or Werckmeister. That alone destroys ANY chance of it being able to reproduce the music of J.S. Bach in a true "authentic" way.

I think it would have been wonderful to be able to go to Dresden and hear the organ the way it sounded on the time of J.S. Bach, but that is unfortunately not possible today.

The re-constructed Frauenkirche ("Church of Our Lady"), Dresden, Germany:

Thomas Dressler

I've read a few articles about the church, and I was curious about the organ. It's really too bad the organ is not more "authentic!" I agree with you that in a situation like this, equal temperament is a really disappointing choice! There are builders nowadays who can make very fine instruments which are very close in sound and ideal to what the original might have been like. Perhaps such an instrument would not be exactly what was there originally, but it would at least be similar in concept.

If you do go hear it, make sure you tell us your impressions!

smile.gif

Thomas Dressler

Jarle

Yes -- when the goal of the reconstruction was to make the church as close to the original as possible, the same goal should have been applied to the organ. Luckily, the Kern is reportedly a very fine organ in its own right, so they have at least not been stuck with a mediocrity.

Cheers
Jarle Fagerheim