My first publication on a music board

Strunch

I try to make music in as good as all genres, jazz, classical, blues, new age, soundtracks and mostly in genres I make up myself. What is common for them all is that they're instrumental.

I would've published some of my classical music now if I hadn't just got a new library (EWSO Silver) from which I will compose all of my classical music in the future. Untill then, I will show you two different pieces in two different genres, and I hope that you'll like it.

<font color="yellow">ISO22k (Mixed genre):</font>

First, a piece which is already widespread on the internet through my friends, their friends and so forth. It is basically a genre I've made up, but I have yet to meet someone who doesn't like it, so if you don't, then I hate you! ..Just kidding (and the minor distortions are deliberate).

Download/stream: ISO22k.mp3(128kb/s)

<font color="yellow">Lift the lid (Mixed genre):</font>

This next piece was actually the skeleton for a collab between a British girl named Tracy (vocalist), an American guy named David (guitarist) and myself. The thing is just, that the collab never happened as our ways seperated too soon, and therefore everything is made by me.

Download/stream: Lift the lid.mp3(160kb/s)

I hope you enjoy the above pieces, because after all, that is what I made it for to begin with. For mine and your pleasure :)

Jette

Rear Admiral of O Theatre & the 4 - 1 + a few more
No need hating me
wink.gif
, I love it especially the first one, it´s quite unik and sorry don´t know exactly how to translate this without losing meaning
crazy.gif
, but it is "total syret"
up.gif
, I like that.

I love the drum-beat in number 2, it has a little flavour of Hip Hop in it
banana.gif
. I also like the mix of instruments used, e.g. drummachine with xylophone (I think that´s what it´s called
blush.gif
)

In number one there is a instrument that sounds like a baroque piano or something like that, what is that?

But Thomas well done I´m loving it
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
and I hope you will post some more
smile.gif

jette
grin.gif

Rune Vejby

Commodore of Water Music
Hi Thomas,

The first one is pretty decent. Could it perhaps be categorized as Ambient?......

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
Well... not bad at all... I'm curious... when did you make these? The files say 2005 in the infotag?

Both pieces, to me, sound very laid back and they are selfcontained in that they are build upon some "rock-steady" grooves/rifs/loops which are being played (more or less constantly) throughout the pieces.
The quality of the synths/samples leaves a little room for improvement I think, though I'm in no way the best sound engineer when it comes to reverb/ambience, it seems to me that sometimes the different ambience of the different samples at times, are a bit too clear in that they appear like played/recorded in a different "room" compared to the rest of the song.
They have a sort of "retro" (albeit only an 80'ies and early 90'ies retro) sound to them, both the synths used and the "effects" of ao. the baby in ISO22k and the "techno-vocoder-voiceover" in "Lift the lid" reminds me of an early 90'ies-Scandinavian-German sound (which is partly why I'm curious as to when you've made these), in some odd way. At the moment I can't explain completely why that is.

Fine pieces, unconventional but still, to me anyway, sounds nicely/oddly familiar.
smile.gif

Sorry if this is somewhat incoherent... it's a little late here, but I thought I'd just share my initial thoughts.
smile.gif

What kinds of synths have you used for these pieces? (I guess you've used FL Studio for the sequencing?)

Strunch

Aaaaw, thanks all!
smile.gif

I'll have to answer all your questions later as I'm overly busy right now. Thanks again!

Strunch

Ok.. Thanks for the reviews again folks!

<font color="yellow">Jette,</font>

The instrument that sounds like a baroque piano is actually some chords I made of a Japanese Koto .. I'm very glad you liked the music :)

<font color="yellow">Rune, </font>

If I had my back against the wall, then I think I would call it a Ninja cut.. That's a very mixed genre with elements of jazz'd up riffs and sick beats, downbeats or breakbeats. Ambient is a very wide term, but of course, it sure has ambient elements here and there :)

<font color="yellow">Corno, </font>

Well, I never use premade loops of any sort, I call that grand theft music (if that's what you meant, of course).

The reason as to why you might recognize a sound from the 90ies is most likely due to the reeverb on the snares, as this was not all uncommon for pop, hip hop or rock in those days - and some still use it when it fits the rest of the structure. I have also made a few beats where I use a more subtle reeverb, which you could call a more modern reeverb/sound - typically a drum room acoustic. ISO22k is a little more than a year old, whereas Lift the Lid is about six months old. What can I say, I'm a sucker for epic snare reeverb :)

I have used no synths (although FL Studio has some pretty nice ones in Sytrus), it's all soundfonts (SF2).

Anyway, thanks for the review, and I'm glad you liked what you liked :)

<font color="yellow">Simone, </font>

Thank you very much :)

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
As to the "loops" I was merely refering in a descriptive way to the periodic patterns you've made (drum/percussion as well as melodic/harmonic) - as a recurring object in your pieces. Not something made by others.

sondance

Thomas:
These are interesting - a transcendent feel, heavy on the ambience (not as a sound descriptor, but mood).
Nice percussive mix on the second one. Sounds like you have room for ranging into some high (or descant) melodic elements) notes. I hope you will post many more!
Ken

Strunch

Thomas:
These are interesting - a transcendent feel, heavy on the ambience (not as a sound descriptor, but mood).
Nice percussive mix on the second one. Sounds like you have room for ranging into some high (or descant) melodic elements) notes. I hope you will post many more!
Ken
Thanks Ken, your input is much appreciated! ..And I will post more in the near future :)

chasw

They are both pretty good, more than just ambient. The have some melodic structure, esp the 2nd piece. - CW