Singers, a lieder query.

Soubasse

Hello folks,

I'm a little embarrassed to ask (mainly because I feel I really ought to know more about it!:)) but I'd be interested in some opinions from any experienced singers here (or teachers, musicologists, and other smart-alecs) about choices for lieder.

I have a student in one of my classes with whom I've been quietly exasperated in regard to her choosing some varied styles. She has finally mentioned that she'd like to try something classical or romantic and I was wondering if there might be any suitable lieder - perhaps by one of the two Schus (bert or mann) ?

She has reasonable alto voice but needs more help from her teacher for her upper register. Her teacher has been hard to find at the right time to talk to about this, which is why I thought I'd enquire further afield. She's also a bit shy and could do with some confidence boosting, so I'm thinking something which tells a good story that she might enjoy (hence my thinking of lieder).

I'll still continue some online browsing of recordings and things, but if anyone has any tips at all, I'll gladly hear them.

Thanks.

Matt

GoneBaroque

I guess I am among the group of assorted smart-alecs, but you might consider some of the lovely lieder of Grieg. this suggestion is based on nothing more than my love for his songs.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
You don't go wrong with Schubert's Lieder - Try "Forellen"(trout).
Mahler's Lieder Einer Fahrendes Gesellen by Mahler.