Why...

Dorsetmike

does it take far longer to install updates/service packs than it does to install Windows (XP)

The XP install took about 30 minutes, 3 hours later and I'm still installing updates!!!!!! and the end is not even in sight!

Add to that reinstalling all the applications should take another day! Luckily I have all my application set up files on a separate drive, so not much time to waste there.

teddy

Duckmeister
Apart from the three service packs Mike there have been an awful lot of patches over the years. Dont forget XP has been around for quite a while now. What were you using before

teddy

Dorsetmike

I've been using XP for about 4 years, I had to do a reinstall when one of the PCs started acting up, plus I wanted to make a few other changes, so did the lot at one time.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Those updates also take up lots of drive space ... they are usually in the \temp directory and can safely be deleted, unless you wish to revert to a prior version at some point.

I think XP updates are still supported ... maybe through this year - read something on that awhile back, and can't remember.

teddy

Duckmeister
XP is still very popular over here. Hopefully it will be around for while as I have it on four machines. Plus I have got used to it.

teddy

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I too miss XP ... Win 7 takes some getting used to ... guess I got to used to XP. I mean, it was much easier to migrate from Win 98 to Win XP than it has going from XP to Win 7. At least I totally bypassed Vista, thank goodness.