My voice hurts, please help

gubrien

It seems that I sing in a wrong way, though I am not sing well, therefore my voice hurt. In addition, I have a sore throat, I guess it makes my voice in a bad condition. So what should I do to save my voice? How to cure a sore throat and how to sing a little better?

Thanks you all !

teddy

Duckmeister
Start by curing your sore throat. If you have no medication then gargle with warm salt water, which will help kill any infection. Rest your voice untill it is better. If you can not afford a voice coach search the web for hints or free advice. Singing should come from the stomach, not the throat otherwise you will strain your throat.

teddy

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Sage advice from teddy (above) Absolutely, First and Foremost: Get yourself a voice coach!! Now!!

As you state, your voice hurts when you sing, and [sic] "I am not sing well" means you are doing something drastically wrong - it should never 'hurt' to sing. Possibly being too forceful or you are tightening up your throat muscles when trying to sing. This would make the throat sore ... seems you may be straining or trying to sing too loudly without proper diaphragmatic support. Volume (loudness) comes from the diaphragm, not the lungs.

Watch yourself in the mirror as you are singing - if your shoulders move or you can see your chest inflate while taking in air, you are doing it wrong. Proper vocal support must come from the diaphragm (your gut) not the lungs.

As with any instrument, the human voice included, one needs professional guidance and coaching on how to use their 'instruments.' Without that kind of instruction, your voice will continue to 'hurt' and you will never achieve a good singing level.

wljmrbill

Great advise Lars..... There a a few vocal coaches ( teachers) that have some lessons on: http://www.youtubecom......... in the past I have watched some of them as I teach voice also..some good examples and tips that will help you.. A vocal coach is the best option another would be to sing in a church choir or any choir with a trained director. Good Luck

gubrien

Start by curing your sore throat. If you have no medication then gargle with warm salt water, which will help kill any infection. Rest your voice untill it is better. If you can not afford a voice coach search the web for hints or free advice. Singing should come from the stomach, not the throat otherwise you will strain your throat.

teddy
Thanks Krummhorn. I'll try to let my voice have a rest and cure my throat. I am not a singer and I just sing when I am happy or when I just want to sing, so I may not get a voice coach. I"ll try as teddy says above and find some hints and advice. I know that voice comes form diaphram but not the lungs, yet it needs some time for me to learn how it comes out like that.

Yes, I want to protect my "instrument", though I need not to achieve a gooding singing level. :grin:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
One thing you can do, gubrien, is without singing, practice diaphragm breathing. Over time, it will feel quite natural.

A soloist whom I accompanied for many years, carried a small flask of wine. When her voice was 'tight' she took a sip ... apparently the alcohol relaxed the throat a little which helped her sing. A few other soloists I have known over the years have done the same.

gubrien

One thing you can do, gubrien, is without singing, practice diaphragm breathing. Over time, it will feel quite natural.

A soloist whom I accompanied for many years, carried a small flask of wine. When her voice was 'tight' she took a sip ... apparently the alcohol relaxed the throat a little which helped her sing. A few other soloists I have known over the years have done the same.

Thank you Krummhorn, you are so kind. I'll try to practice diaphram breathing and try to get some progress.

teddy

Duckmeister
Or hot water whisky and lemon...............or just whisky :smirk::smirk::smirk:

teddy

gubrien

Thank you guys. I now have a warm salt water before breakfast. Winter is coming and sunlight and warm guys like you are so lovely.