website redone...

rojo

(Ret)
Hi all, just looking for some feedback about my website- I recently redesigned it. The content`s the same, but the presentation is new!

http://pyxnet.ath.cx/robin

Would appreciate any comments!
smile.gif

Swaft

The structure itself is good and the coding too, I would only say that the colors do not blend well together. Other than that its alright!

rojo

(Ret)
Thank you for taking the time to have a look and make a post about my site, fellow Montrealer Swaft.

After trying many different background colours, I finally settled on this one because it matched the blue better than other colours without making the site too dark. I will take your comments into consideration though.

Thanks again!

Any additional comments more than welcome!

Swaft

Although it is funny because the background color of your website is te same as your wall color on that picture lol :p

rojo

(Ret)
Très drôle, en effet...

Actually, I had to touch up that photo a fair amount using Fireworks. Maybe it needs more touching up- my walls aren`t really that exact colour...
tongue.gif
grin.gif

bainsk8

Hi rojo I agree with Swaft. Colours are a hard thing to decide on, I too had the same problem when working on various sites.

I can help with this by visiting this website. You use the 3 sliders at the top of the page and it generates a series of 9 colours that work together and also allows you a preview of them colours before making a decision. Good luck and I look forward to seeing how you got on.
tiphat.gif

colormixers.com

rojo

(Ret)
Thank you for your comments, bainsk8- seems like I`ll have to do something about the colours. And thanks for the link; I will check it out.
smile.gif

bainsk8

Hi Rojo
I see you changed the colour, it is much better than before, but the contrast between the text and white hurts my eyes when trying to read the text.

May I suggest using the colour which you have chosen for the background:#E6ECFF to replace the white and maybe use a colour like #C3C8D9 for the background, this would lessen the contrast between the text and white making it easier on the viewers eyes.

It is looking better though.
smile.gif

rojo

(Ret)
Hey bainsk8,

I`ll give it a try, although I find it odd that black on white should be hard to read...usually peeps complain about white on black!
grin.gif

Thanks for the kind words, the suggestion, and for checking out my site again.
smile.gif

bainsk8

I don't find it hard to read, it is the contrast, the brightness of the white. Maybe I should turn the brightness down on my monitor.
8.gif

Gareth

Commodore of Water Music
I had no trouble with reading it at all, perhaps it was the contrast of your monitor?

That I must say is a very good site for beginners/tips, the way suggesting that you should learn scales at a young age, I never really did that, well I did, after about a year of playing.

Is that your Repertoire that you have included on there? I look up to musicians that have conquered Fantaisie Impromptu as I listen to it all the time. And Chopin is my favourite solo composer. Do you have any recordings of you playing??

A few Questions.
1. How long have you been teaching?
2. Where do you teach?
3. If where you teach is at a conservatoriam, or if you have been there, would you agree that it would be harder for pianists to apply as you need more of everthing else such as string instruments and brass instruments, but not as many piano's for some pieces for example Piano Concertos?

Yet again, I would like to say well done on that site.

From Gareth

rojo

(Ret)
Thanks Gareth- it`s nice to get feedback about the content of my website; I really appreciate it!

Yes, that is my repertoire, although it has suffered some due to me spending a lot of time working on this website. I try to at least keep playing those pieces so I don`t forget them, but they`re not in the greatest shape at the moment. Now that the site is done, I`ll polish them up again because, funny you should mention, my next plan for the site is to add performances (myself playing) of the works on the repertoire page, one by one. It will probably take me a while...

Chopin is fantastic, btw.

I have been teaching heavily since over 10 years ago. I don`t teach at a conservatory, but I have several students who do exams at the McGill Conservatory of Music here in Montreal. I`m fairly certain that many pianists are accepted there, as they have a large piano department. However, the piano is a very popular instrument, so there must be lots of applicants...I myself studied privately for many years and did the Royal Conservatory of Toronto exams.

Thanks again for all your comments; if you have any more comments or questions, fire away!
smile.gif

Gareth

Commodore of Water Music
Thanks, yeah, at the time I didn't even consider thinking that piano was a popular instument although I knew it was, but yeah, thats really, good, looking forward to listening to your repertoire. When did you start playing piano seriously?

rojo

(Ret)
Thanks Gareth
smile.gif
I started playing piano at age 7. Have been playing for most of my life...

What about you? How long have you been playing; when did you start?

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
It's a nice site Robin!
Haven't read through all of the text yet, but it seems very legible and the navigation works nicely.

Gareth

Commodore of Water Music
I started playing piano at the age of 9 I think, I don't know when, but it was somewhere around there, I do plan to turn music as the ideal career path be it teaching/perfoming. I started playing at a Cafe about a year ago, well, it is just busking, and the rewards coming out of that, is never ending, good practice or should I say making music (from your website) , good money, love doing, it, what more can you want, my repitoire is at least 18 songs by memory, modern (being the 60's (Simon and Garfunkle) 70's 80's and classical (Bach Beethoven and Chopin are the main artists) takes me about an hour and 15 minutes to complete one round.

Anyway
All the Best
Gareth
cheers444.gif

rojo

(Ret)
Hey, thanks a lot Thomas! Your comments are much appreciated- thanks for giving it a looksee!

Gareth- that sounds like great fun, and it will keep your playing in good shape. I think many musicians do a mix of performing and teaching, so you could always do both!

smile.gif