• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Beginner Organist

bonh-101

I am a beginner organist and have just learned stops, drawknobs, couplers, ect...

I am learning the manual names and location and I have learned up to four manuals: choir, great, swell, solo.
but there is another called echo.

where is it in location to the other manuals?
confused.gif

giovannimusica

Commodore de Cavaille-Coll
Hi bonh-101,

I have quite often found that the Echo division is a *floating division*, that is to say, a division that can be coupled to any other *fixed division* . It might contain some very colorful stops which can be used to highlight a melody or contra-melody line. If it is a fixed division it would probably be on the fifth or sixth manual, dependent upon many factors e.g. budget, space, tonal composition, acoustic, the playing action of the instrument -electrical, mechanical, pneumatic or electro-pneumatic. In short, there are a whole host of variables. Hope this is of some help to you.

Cheers,

Giovanni
tiphat.gif

acc

Hi,

Giovanni is right: there are no absolute rules about order or even names of manuals. Usually, Great is the first or the second manual; if it is the second, then Choir will be the first.

Historically, having Choir first comes from the baroque tradition of Rückpositiv in Germany or positif de dos in France, i.e. where the Choir division is located behind the player: in this case, it is technically much easier for the organ builder to put the Choir manual first and the Great second.

On other baroque organs (e.g. those by Silbermann), both divisions are in the same case, with Great below (and the other division is, quite appropriately, called Oberwerk). You would than have Great as first manual, and the Oberwerk second.

On some big instruments, you can also have a Brustwerk, a division located right above the manuals and at the front of the case (Brust=chest). The builder would then find it most convenient to put its manual closest to it, i.e. the last manual.

In French baroque organs, you sometimes have an Écho division, which indeed tends to be the last manual. For example, the Cliquot organ in Poitiers has the following order:
1 - Positif (Choir)
2 - Grand-Orgue (Great)
3 - Récit ("Swell", except that it's not swellable)
4 - Écho
and in the Dom Bedos organ in Bordeaux, we have:
1 - Positif
2 - Grand-Orgue
3 - Bombarde (contains strong reeds)
4 - Récit
5 - Écho

In French romantic organs, the Positif(=Choir) division is often located inside the main organ case, so there is no reason to have it as the first manual, and the most common order in a three-manual instrument is Great-Choir-Swell (with the Swell now being swellable, i.e. enclosed inside a box with shutters).

If an organ has electrical action, the builder could of course order the manuals any way he likes (rods can't be bent, but cables can!), but for convenience, most builders just stuck to the (by then well established) order of manuals that was customary in their particular country and time period - so that accounts for a great variety of possibilities, as Giovanni mentioned.

Probably the only absolute rules (i.e. with no exceptions known to me) are that Great comes before Swell and Solo, and that Choir comes before Solo.

giovannimusica

Hi acc,

I thank you profusely for your so beautifully filling in that which I left out. You certainly know your stuff - A full salute to you.

Cheers,

Giovanni
tiphat.gif

giovannimusica

I hereby publicly petition the Owner/Administrator to promote acc to officer rank since he has such good knowledge in his subject specialty.

Respectfully submitted,

Giovanni
tiphat.gif

acc

Well, I'm flattered by your proposal, Giovanni - thank you!
cheers444.gif

Actually, I don't know that much - I'm not an organ builder, or expert, or anything. Just an afficionado who has learned a number of things after reading the booklets of a few hundred organ CDs (plus information you can find here and there on the web).

Anyway, I'm perfectly happy with the idea of "working up my ranks" (pun not intended) as anybody else does.

bonh-101

One last question

Thank you for informing me of this...
I have one last question though, I am teaching myself Toccata & Fugue in D Minor and I can never get the right registration...

It's always off, and the pedals seem to have a really powerful stop on it... I am currently using a 16' Posaune: it has the right power but it just doesn't sound right, even when coupled with the great division. Do you have any suggestions?

giovannimusica

Re: One last question

Hi bonh-101,

You might try saving the use of the Posaune 16' until the last few measures in the Toccata, likewise in the Fugue. It also depends on what you're striving for in the interpretation. I find quite often that avoiding the use of *full* organ is a benefit - it begins to grate on my nerves when all what I hear is a honking blast instead of restraint with the resources.

Think of the conductor of an Orchestra - he/she can make or break the quality of a performance by overuse of the different classes of instruments in regards to dynamics, coloring or any other variable. I like to think about a good organist is like a good orchestral conductor.

A good conductor can not only jeopardise his/her own career by misuse of orchestral forces but can also cause the disreputation of the orchestra, likewise an organist might not ever again be invited to give performances because of his/her inability of marshaling the resources of the instrument and technical sloppiness.

Sorry for digressing - try playing the piece using only flutes - 16',8',4',2' and 1'. The ear won't be so distracted by all the color when one uses reeds and mixtures - you are forced to play more cleanly and articulately when using only flutes. Once you play the piece cleanly then start adding other colors very judiciously.

I hope this might help in your strivings.

Cheers,

Giovanni
tiphat.gif

acc

Your attitude is the right one : if your ears tell you it's wrong, then it's wrong.

I must say that on an instrument I don't know, I would also have tried something like this to start with:
<ul type="square">[*]Great : Principals 8' 4' 2' + mixture(s)
[*]Pedal : Principals 16' 8' 4' (+ mixture) + Posaune 16'
[/list]

If that doesn't work out, you can try different things:
<ul type="square">[*]remove Great to Pedal coupler
[*]remove the Pedal 4' stop
[*]remove some Great mixtures (when coupled to the Pedal, they can sometimes sound odd in the lowest octave)
[*]etc.
[/list]

Further than that, it's really difficult to help you out from here - as I said, your ears will be able to tell you much more.

Thomas Dressler

Hi guys--very interesting discussion! Sorry I've been quiet for awhile--I just got a copy of Sibelius (music notation software) and it literally kept me up til 4am the other night! Amazing!

Anyhow, I think the topic of registration is especially interesting and deserves its own thread, so I'm going to start a new thread, picking up where we've left off here with some of my own observations about the subject.

Gareth

Commodore of Water Music

Reading this.....I am going to learn organ one day!!!! So I hear that it is a completely differen't ball game? With then no sostenuto and everything like that?

Thomas Dressler

yes, the organ is different from the piano, that's for sure.

The most obvious difference is the lack of a sustaining pedal, so you have to get used to holding the keys down for as long as you want the note to sound. But there are lots of other differences, like having to learn to manage registrations (combinations of stops), having to learn to play the pedals (and coordinate your feet with your hands.) Then there some more subtle but very important differences, such as the fact that an organ key turns "on" near the top of the keystroke, whereas a piano needs to strike the bottom of the keybed to sound.

In general, when you're speaking of music up until about the time of JS Bach, the organ is most similar in playing technique to the harpsichord--much more similar than to the piano.

acc

Another big difference is of course that on the organ, you can't make the sound louder by hitting the keys harder. So accents (and, more generally, articulation) on the organ need an entirely different approach than on the piano.

Thomas Dressler

Here's a bit more regarding articulation:

Legato playing is definately important for Romantic and modern repertoire. In the days of Bach and for awhile after (and before) the norm for playing was non-legato. This does not mean short, staccato notes, but detached. It's my belief that JS Bach probably played with a more connected but still detached style.

When playing using these detached notes, it is possible on the harpsichord and the organ to make some notes have the illusion of being louder than others by putting a bigger space in front of them. In this way, it is possible to create the illusion of playing loud and soft notes in a given meter, which is something they did. (What I mean is like beats 1 and 3 being stronger than 2 and 4 in 4/4.) This strong-weak kind of playing is an essential part of early repertoire and is still important in the music of JS Bach and CPE Bach, and perhaps even later composers. And on the organ and the harpsichord, it can only be done through non-legato playing.

Also, when dealing with the flexible winding systems of old organs and modern organs built in the same style, a carefully detached style of playing is much more effective than legato. But in this case, another difference between organ and piano needs to be noted--that on the organ one needs to control the speed of the release of the notes (at least on mechanical action instruments.) Very fast releases on mechanical action can be ugly, and with flexible winding, they make the organ jump and hiccup.

acc

I wouldn't ban legato from baroque articulation altogether. For example, when one harmony is dissonant and the next harmony resolves this dissonance, it makes sense to have an isolated legato tying those two harmonies together, to provide an appropriate feeling of "tension-then-release".

The difference with the romantic repretoire is of course that in the latter, legato becomes a norm, whereas in the baroque, legato is just one of many existing articulations, to be used in occasions such as described above.

bonh-101

32\',64\'?

Yes, I found it very odd being used to the piano as I was,
I like not having to strike the keys, it makes it alot easier(for me anyways). But I found something odd. I was reading a small article on learning to use stops. It states that a 32' stop is as low as it can go because anything under 32' is not audible to the ear. If it isn't, then how did I find a stop specification that has a 64' Resultant! I have used a 32' Contre Violone and I could feel it as much as I could hear it. But would you be able to hear the 64'?

giovannimusica

Re: 32\',64\'?

The average human ear has a hearing range between 20hz-20khz, so by that argument you wouldn't hear the lowest note on a 32' stop since it purrs at 16hz. The lowest note on a 64' stop rumbles/thunders at 8hz. Now, by hearing the note it is meant as a musically definable pitch by the ear as the key of c or d. So, then you get into the realm of infrasonic soundwaves and psychoacoustics when dealing with the low end of 32' and almost the whole rank of a 64' stop.

The 64' Diaphone Profundo at Atlantic City Convention Hall will make your teeth chatter. The infrasonic waves produced really put a powerful bottom octave to the organ plenum. If you were to see the sound wave produced by the 64' Diaphone on an oscilloscope it would have a squarish shape while the Bombarde reed is of a sawtooth shape.

Those square waves have a totally different effect on the auditory nerve than sawtooth waves of the 32' Bombarde and for that matter on the whole body. Think of an orchestral bass drum being pummeled at eight times a second - when that happens you get a sensation of *rolling thunder*. That sort of describes the 64' Diaphone when it is added to the plenum. Of course, if you draw the 32' and play lowest C and G together you'll get the resultant 64' sound.

Cheers,

Giovanni
wave.gif

giovannimusica

Re: 32\',64\'?

If you were to play a Bosendorfer Imperial Concert Grand you would get the 32' octave included since that piano has 97 notes
cool.gif
smile.gif