Countertenors

Dorsetmike

Having sung countertenor for many years (from age 20 through 40, a voice that I appeared to have inherited from my father), having read a bit many counter tenors sing falsetto i.e. outside their "modal voice" others of us have shorter vocal chords, or the voice does not break in the usual way so we are not using falsetto.

I have always had an interest in hearing others and have picked out a few youtube performances.

First a Japanese with (in my opinion) a beautiful voice, Yoshikazu Mera with Solveig's song followed by Greensleeves, then Ombra Mai Fu

Dorsetmike

Next Phillipe Jaroussky from France with a Vivaldi aria, followed by Fauré's Pie Jesu, and to compare to others Ombra Mai Fu

Dorsetmike

Now David Daniels with Vivaldi's 'Barbaro Traditor', followwed by Purcell's "Sweeter than Roses" and "Ombra Mai Fu"

Dorsetmike

Andreas Scholl, first off get ready for a few tears, Purcell "When I am Laid in Earth", Bach, Agnus Dei from Bminor mass, and Ombra Mai Fu.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Mike,

What a "Weepie" the Agnus Dei was - I went through a whole box of kleenex because of it........

wljmrbill

Very much enjoyed your selections of the countertenor. The Scholl's singing of Agnus Dei was heavenly and as My friend already stated. "Ombra mai fu" is one of my all time favorites.I have a friend who is a countertenor and is a professor as well as tours at the Conservatory in Moscow. Thanks for posting.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
I wonder if Andreas Scholl is not the "Countertenor of the Century" - I mean, that dude has so much musicianship........

Dorsetmike

I think the other three possibly have a greater range, especially Jaroussky but it's a hard to draw a line between all af them in my opinion.

GoneBaroque

Countertenor David Daniels sings Victor Hely-Hutchinson's "Old Mother Hubbard" in the style of Handel to the delight of the audience and us.

GoneBaroque

A bit early for this but 31 May marks the Centenary of the birth of Alfred Deller who did much bring the countertenor voice to a wider public attention. In commemoration he appears in three duets with his son Mark. In the two selections by Henry Purcell and John Blow they are accompanied by Desmond Dupre.

And in three pieces by Heinrich Schutz they are accompanied by Gustav and Marie Leonhardt on organ and violin and Robert Scheiwein on cello.