great jazz fusion

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Yeah, I've got the album "Friday Night in San Francisco". They are very virtuos (though I think they at times goes slightly over the top in the showing off department
smile.gif
). It's definately entertaining and I can imagine it must have been a great experience being present at the live concert.

"Friday Night in San Francisco" is an interesting fusion between Latin/Spanish guitar music with elements of jazz. It's the only CD I've got where they play together, any other recommended albums with the trio?

Davey

you should check out Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame. John McLaughlin is an awesome guitarist. Friday night... is really quite brilliant to see how 3 guitarists can interact together with very complex compositions. I think they got together a few years later but the album did not get such great reviews, I haven't heard it though so who knows.... should never listen to critics too much!!!

Underscore

I also have Friday Night in San Francisco and a wonderful album it is.

I've been a fan of Paco DeLucia for quite some time now and I was lucky enough to have the above recommnded to me by a friend of mine.

Has been a constant listen since.

Skaidon

you should check out Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame.
Peopple definately should! Also Birds of Fire by Mahavishnu Orchestra is another brilliant album. The Lost Triden Sessions is also a good album, but after that, Mahavishnu kind of lost its way.

You may also like Return to Forever or Jean Luc-Ponty's work.

emtea

yes
I heard McLaughlin, Paco and Larry Coryell together at the Albert Hall in London some years back. Paco De Lucia was sensational.
I heard later that he had become professor of flamenco at a university in Germany.
I also saw him in a spanish film about a dance company rehearsing and performing a production of Carmen. They rehearse with just Paco improvising. Excellent!

bubba lou

The follow-up to Friday Night In San Francisco was called "Passion Grace & Fire". It's quite different from the first because it's a studio album rather than a 'live' work. Forget what the critics say, this is a great album.

My favourite song on Friday Night... is Mediterranean Sundance. Di Meola recorded this song six years earlier on his first album "Elegant Gypsy". Totally different, yet equally enjoyable version of this tune.

WorldMusicFan7

Has anyone heard of Astor Piazzolla? He plays tango with a hint of modern jazz that sounds amazing! I just heard his album "The Lausanne Concert" the other day. It's a full-length concert from 1989 with a handful of popular tango musicians instead of just a few exerpts from the show. I think that it is one of his best albums.

Ronin

WorldMusicFan7 said:
Has anyone heard of Astor Piazzolla? He plays tango with a hint of modern jazz that sounds amazing! I just heard his album "The Lausanne Concert" the other day. It's a full-length concert from 1989 with a handful of popular tango musicians instead of just a few exerpts from the show. I think that it is one of his best albums.

I take it this is who you are talking about
http://www.piazzolla.org/

Yes, its amazing stuff. I love the tango elements.

giovannimusica

Commodore de Cavaille-Coll
Hi ViolinCyndee,

You mention Jean-Luc Ponty - Hurray!

My first tase of jazz-fusion was thanks to Monsieur Ponty's album entitled *Cosmic Messenger*. I especially like the last track *Egocentric Molecules* - everytime I play it on the CD in my car, my hard-rock friends appreciate the guitar, electric bass and violin solos. I also use it, among other things, when I do Kickboxing workouts - gets me in the *zone* :grin: :grin: :grin:

Cheers,

Giovanni :tiphat:

Progger58

I also like some great old names in the genre (Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, Wheater Report, Jean-Luc Ponty, John Mclaughlin and so on), but must say that, at the moment, I have been discovering some pretty awesome new stuff in the genre. I would mention, for example:

- BÉLA FLECK & THE FLECKTONES
- BRIAN BROMBERG
- METRO
- NIACIN
- VERTÚ
- GORDIAN KNOT
- BOZZIO LEVIN STEVENS

And, of course, my favorite Fusion group from the old 70's: BRAND X :up:

I would also add some great names from the ECM label, that I really enjoy:

- TERJE RYPDAL
- DAVID TORN
- KETIL BJÖRNSTAD
- JAN GARBAREK
- ARILD ANDERSEN
- STEVE TIBBETTS

All them really worth checking out!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Demetrio.

rojo

(Ret)
I saw Jean-Luc Ponty at a concert a long time ago; thought it was great. And the bass playing by Jaco Pastorius from Weather Report is awesome. :up: Shame he had to leave us the way he did...

Afraid I`m more old-school I guess.

McStrum

Has anyone heard of Al DiMeola, John Mclaughlin, and Paco Delucia? They play great jazz fusion.

If you get a chance try and find the DiMeola video of a concert he did back in the late 80's early 90's great stuff. Along the same lines the Crossroads Guitar Festival of 2004 has a great Mclaughlin tribute to Elvin Jones (1 guitar, 1 drummer, 1 indian percussionist) just awesome.

McStrum

doctortornface

Rushing off right now to check out as much of this as poss,Been a long time fan of JMcL. Birds of Fire a definate favourite,also worth a listen is another of his projects,SHAKTI, Asian ifluenced jazz/rock fusion.

methodistgirl

No man!

I can't say I have. I'm more the type who likes the oldies in jazz like
Louis armstrong, Ramsy louis, and others like tommy dorsy. Real old
stuff. That is the kind of jazz music I like.
judy tooley:)

Deeru Piotr

Rez Abbasi I wrote about this on the Indian fusion music thread, but anyway, I love two of his recordings: Snake Charmer and Bazaar also through him I discovered Mahantthappa another fine indian jazz player
by the way I love the oldies also

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Joe Zawinul and the Mahavishnu Orchestra - too bad he left this transitory life too early - the man was a genius.