Iron Lady

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
I just want to get a better grip as to why Fmr. PM Thatcher is so hated by the Brits. I perceived England as "having spine" and as a no nonsense country during her years as PM. Of course, British Rail is a convenient billyclub for which to bludgeon Ms. Thatcher with. I think of the sorry state of the Swedish Rail System (SJ) which closes down main train traffic arteries when the winter winds blow more than 10 m/s - My family and I almost didn't make the flight back to Moscow on the 4th of January because of some mildly frisky bluster. So please, no infrastructure probs as critique of Lady Thatcher. Imnsho, she is the most influential PM since Winston Churchill.

GoneBaroque

Like Will Rogers I only know what I read in the papers but you are correct about Ms. Thatcher's no nonsense methods. She was a courageous lady now sadly reduced by the ravages of senility. I do know from relatives that she was not well regarded in Scotland due to har treatment of that country as a second class possession. A particular bone of contention was the amalgamation of Scotlands historic Regiments into one over a period of time and the loss of that historical prospective. The feeling seems to be that the English Regiments were not so treated. How much of this may have come from Major who succeeded her I do not know. But there is no denying her influence.

Dorsetmike

She did the same with other regiments not just the Scots ones. The services were getting top heavy, too many chiefs, not enough injuns. They could either spend the defence budget on bodies or technology.

Her government forced local authorities and nationalised industries to put work out to open tender, a good thing for some services but disaster for others; restricted spending on roads etc, example -- authorised a bypass round a village, but only allowed a 2 lane road, which needed a cutting through a hill, not made wide enough for 3 or 4 lanes so still a bottle neck. Virtually destroyed the UK mining industry, although the miners didn't help themselves by striking, again a case of bodies versus technology, but the miners didn't want the technology cos it would reduce the number of jobs so they went on strike and the nationalised mines got shut down so instead of losing some jobs they lost the lot.

She didn't know the meaning of the word compromise; "Don't confuse her with facts, her mind's made up"

Corno Dolce

Hi GB,

With sincerest apologies if I ruffle the feathers of my British Brothers and Sisters who live south of Hadrian's Wall.............

Thanx for revealing about the Scottish Regiments. There is much historical significance in subsuming those regiments - I perceive it also as a way of purging the "Ghost of William Wallace". Now, if the Scots would stop bickering "inter-clan, intra-clan" then they can focus on achieving what they are striving for. Yes, I find myself on the side of the Scots in their struggle to remove the 4th Class Citizenship Label they are under and, if God deems it fit, achieve independence from Downing Street.

Good Grief, DorsetMike - The miners really shot themselves in the foot that time...OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Based on your careful outlay about Britain, outside of London, seems to have borne the brunt of "change", some of it very painful and in some respects unnecessary. Bodies vs Technology - Interventionist vs Isolationist. Has Britain moved on from the "Its all Maggie's Fault" or is that still being chewed to the point of froth in the mouth?
Its just as infantile as "Its all Bush's Fault". When will the whining stop? If life gives you Lemons, make Lemonade!

Of course, the tiny town in Illinois, from whence I saw the light of day, is defunct in many ways and the townspeople are livid. Should I feel sad? I don't know...If one is determined enough to break away from a downward spiral by moving away from the political and social morass, reeducation and more.............I can't look back - I have to move forward.

In closing, as constituents we must play with the card that is dealt by the majority vote.

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister
A well respected politician who actually had guts, unlike most of them. Made mistakes, but as my first boss taught me, the only people who don't make mistakes are the ones who don't do anything. We could do with her now.

teddy

kampong

In the end , history will judge. And the definitive verdict is not out yet. Maybe a hundred years from now...

Corno Dolce

Amen Braddah Teddy - And the worst thing is, is that so many are quick to gripe, moan, nag, kvetch, caterwaul and so on - They don't do anything to improve their lot - FOR THE LOVE OF MIKE, PEOPLE - Get a grip on it and get off your sorry duffs - Ain't no one gonna feel sorry for you whilst you sit on your pitty pot, feeling as if the whole world crapped on your parade - Make me JUST want to GAG.............

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I think of the sorry state of the Swedish Rail System (SJ) which closes down main train traffic arteries when the winter winds blow more than 10 m/s .

10 miles per second?? now that would close anything down Bro :crazy:

Corno Dolce

My Dear Teddles,

Spines are not invented - They are grown. But thanx for the humourous thought........

JHC

A conscience and a sense of responsibility would also make the poly's a bit more meaningful

Corno Dolce

Being a pol is a cushy job - The ones who make it past the "Chattering Classes" have their future, their kids, and grandkids future secured...Its called the "Entitled Class".

JHC

Being a pol is a cushy job - The ones who make it past the "Chattering Classes" have their future, their kids, and grandkids future secured...Its called the "Entitled Class".

Comrade is it the same in the new Russia? from what I see and read there is a lot of alleged corruption which goes hand in hand with "keep the Bas^ar#s out" sort of thing, I will understand if you choose not to answer nudge nudge wink wink

Corno Dolce

Oh yes, I'll freely comment - There is "sadness" here too - Just like in America with two parties that have a dimes worth of difference. Its called "the human condition" - keep the b******s out in re to USA is the unbridled influx from South of the Border. The same with Europe - Don't let them cross the Mediterranean - In Russia, they come from Africa, Middle East, Central Asia, and East Asia, and 40% of Russians want to flock to America. Funny though that the grass is always greener on the neighbors side of the fence - And New Zealand is quite the finicky feline when people wish to migrate there, eh?

JHC

And New Zealand is quite the finicky feline when people wish to migrate there, eh?
Oh yes we don't want any old Tom, Dick or Harry. but even here in 'Gods Own' Money talks e,g Mr Dotcom. but seriously I don't want to live the rest of my life out any where else.

Corno Dolce

Yes, Mr. Dotcom - What a splash he made recently, or shall I say, was forced to make. And I love living here in Russia so much I can't think of living anywhere else. Whodathunk, a Yankee in Moscow, near the Red Square even.............

; - D

Corno Dolce

Oh yes we don't want any old Tom, Dick or Harry. but even here in 'Gods Own' Money talks e,g Mr Dotcom. but seriously I don't want to live the rest of my life out any where else.

"any old Tom, Dick, or Harry" - Your humour is quite subtly wry...........