Faith, Art and Music

GoneBaroque

Thank you CD. What a marvelous resource. There is so much to look at here. Reading Father Aleyev's comments on Bach and Arvo Part brought to mind another contemporary composer of Sacred Music, Sir John Tavener whose work I much admire.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
@GB I also am a great admirer of Tavener looks like the start of a great thread

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Oh yes, Tavener has written much since his conversion to Orthodoxy - Its as if he got plugged into a wellspring that just will not stop flowing - And what quality it is...

JHC

@CD A very dear friend of mine was "Russian Orthodox" but we never talked about religion perhaps because our music group had only one other religious person the rest of us were heathens. His house had a lot of Icons and at his funeral in the local Catholic church in our small town one of the big noises from Wellington officiated.
My friend was an Art teacher before retirement and well thought of, what this is leading to in my twisted approach is to ask what is "Russian Orthodoxy" and I presume it would be the same as Greek Orthodox.

Corno Dolce

Dear Br. Colin,

Just a brief history tidbit: Grand Prince Vladimir of Kiev decided in 988 that Russia shall be baptised as a Christian Nation. This decision was based upon the findings of a delegation whom he had sent to Constantinople, which was the heart of the Byzantine Empire. So yes, the Greek Orthodox Church is related to the Russian Orthodox Church. Now, in my own words: The Russian heart, soul and spirit has nurtured a most wonderful tree of Orthodoxy that bears such beautiful flowers and rich fruit.

The Holy Spirit that dwells in secret "within and behind" the Icon, is venerated and praised, not the person depicted. He/she who is depicted is the Saint whose life is one of the many role models for the Orthodox Christians. The Lives of the Saints is a book which many Orthodox read every day(every day there is another Saint to read about), to receive inspiration on how to live a "right life". Of course, we have the Christ Icon, Cross Icon, Theotokos Icon(Mother of the God/Man Jesus).

For example: Mother Theresa of Calcutta is a role model because she gave her life to help those who were poorer than dirt in India. Yes, I can go on............"The One who comes after me I am not worthy to tie His sandals". When babies are baptised and chrismated(signed over to Christ), they are usually named after a Patron Saint and then given an Icon depicting the Patron Saint(whose name is in the Lives of the Saints). So yes, tradition is passed from generation to generation to generation and so on.............

Iconography is the actual "writing of the Icon" - Icons are not painted but written! Yes, the wellspring that inspires Tavener to compose inspires also Iconographers to continue writing Icons. The same Saint written by the same Iconographer will be different in every successive Icon, each one more beautiful than the other. My wife and I personally know two ladies, whose work as Iconographers just takes ones breath away. In short, Greek or Russian is the ethnic denominator appended onto "Orthodox Church". Btw, the Greeks can use the organ to accompany a Divine Liturgy - For the Russians it is a No-No! The reason being that the musical instrument distracts the mind from Whom is being worshipped. One of the end results is that the Choral Instrument as developed in Russia is of such exquisiteness.

Last edited:

JHC

Thanks CD I know I would prefer the Russian a cappella as opposed to the distraction of an Organ but then I have always preferred a cappella.

sandal

corno dolce,
thanks for the post.
when encountered with alfeyev's music (it was his passion). i remember i was surprised and awed, and had rejoiced at the poignant connection to the heritage of jsb.
now, it has been very interesting to read in detail from himself. thanks again.

Last edited:

Corno Dolce

Hi sandal,

Metropolitan Alfeyev is such a gentle soul but he also engenders much respect - He might very well be the next Patriarch of the Russian Church. He has written so much literature besides music. To call him a Renaissance Man would be an understatement. His essay helps to bridge many gaps. Glad I could share something that was helpful.

Best always,

CD