What do you get from your Broad Band etc?

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
As we have members from all over I thought it would be interesting to see how we compare plus any thing to do with your www.

I have a home phone and broad band acc, the phone is free local calls the rest you pay for.
The BB has a cap of 8GB.
a speed of Max 3.5mbps to a low of 0.5mbps.
I pay in NZ$82 to 85 per month, I am with Vodafone

Thanks Lars and Bill I should have mentioned that I am on copper wires,

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
We have a land line and broadband internet for which we pay $84 (USD)
Unlimited local calls and no "cap" on our broadband use (up or down)

Service speed is 20 MB down and 5 MB up, and it stays very constant.
We are with CenturyLink (formerly Qwest)

For all long distance we use our mobile phones as it is included in our $91 (USD) monthly fee for two phones (two separate lines)

Kh

wljmrbill

I have landline for local calls and broadband internet and pay $81.28 USD with At&t . Use my cell phone for any long distance I may need and have a prepaid account which works better for me cost wise.But I use messangers and video chat online for more so than the phone.

teddy

Duckmeister
I have a seperate contract for mobiles. Two phones, two lines, 300 minutes and unlimited texts on each line. £11.00 per month for both on a contract. Had to fight for this deal.

Unlimited local and national calls anytime, broadband pretty well unlimited with a decent speed (can't quote the actual figures but fast enough to stream films) line rental included. £ 21.00 per month. The internet is via our phone line and as we are a little way from the exchange is not the fstest but reasonable.

Skype for calls to my Americal cousins and forum friends.

This covers pretty much all we need. I could probably do without my mobile, as I am rarely out on the road these days, but at under £6.00 a month it is worth its while

teddy

Dorsetmike

I have fibre optic cable for phone and broadband, free calls except to mobiles and 084x/087x/09xx numbers, broadband currently 10M, due to increase to 20M later this year (at no extra cost) no limit on amount of use, I'm usually on line for 10 hours plus per day (forums, emails, Skype chat, shopping, reading on line books etc) phone and broadband package costs £35 plus calls to above listed numbers.

Have a mobile which stays in car glove box, or did until the battery failed! Doubt I'll bother with a new one.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
A land line and broadband internet package here. The speed is usually constant at 10 MB, which is highest I can get in my current place of residence. There is no monthly limit on download/upload; the bill is no higher than 110 PLN a month.

The Internet service seems to be much more expensive in The States and in New Zealand than it is here. Lars, how much would you have to pay for a land line and a BB internet at 10 MB?

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
. . . Lars, how much would you have to pay for a lind line and a BB internet at 10 MB?

Hi Mat,

Land line charge stays the same ... about $23 (usd) ... of course, we also get taxed to death (tarifs, land line tax, corporate commission tax, use tax, federal tax, city tax - everybody has their mitts out on taxes is seems)

For 10 MB of BB the price is about a third less ... maybe $35 (usd) for the BB part.

Because of my involvement with the two music forums, I do tons of uploading, so I need to higher service capacity ... we also have Wi-Fi in the house and use Netflix for streaming television, movies (commercial free), and music. With the 20 MB down connection, we can watch the tele and two PC's without any loss of service.

I do need to start thinking about using Skype more, too.

Dorsetmike

I have Skype set up to start when the PC boots, stays on then all day and evening, I sometimes remember to click on "Away" when I stop for lunch etc. As soon as any of my contacts come on line I get a pop up in bottom right corner of the screen. I tend to use Skype more for text IMs than voice.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Thanks for the explanation, Lars.

I, too, have Wi-Fi and usually split the connection between a PC and a laptop.

Last edited:

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I envy you jokers @ 10 mb d/l. In school holidays my connection often drops in and out but I can stream and d/l videos etc as this can be done easily @ 1.5mb. :cry::cry::cry:

methodistgirl

I happen to be on cable for my internet. Time Warner seems to run it nowdays.
It used to be called Newwave.
judy jennings