Learning Electric Guitar

Skaidon

Now, Ive been looking to buy an Electric Guitar and learn for quite some time, but have been reading mixed reviews and feelings as to what a good "Beginners Pack" would be, I just want to be buy a pack and be ready to go!

So, basically, Im asking for some help as to what would be a good thing to buy? I want something that will last me both in time and as I progress...

Thanks!

Underscore

Make sure you get a fairly good guitar to start off with. Cheap guitars are really nasty and should be banned from society because they do anything but encourage people to play.

Fortunately for you, this mostly applies to acoustic guitars. Cheaper electrics are actually quite good these days. Go for a Yamaha Pacifica or a Squier Strat. Both are replicas of the Fender Stratocaster. They are fairly good, might break down after a while but should last a good few years.

Avoid the all in one bundle. Go to a guitar shop and get it set up correctly, it may cost a bit more but its worth it. A good setup can make all the difference. The best thing about buying from a shop is that you can play and test it beforehand, which is a must. Try and find a guitar playing buddy who knows what he is talking about, or more simply ask the shop assistant.

And then practice practice practice ! I recommend you get a few lessons to start off. And then go off for a fews years until you are fairly good and then get more lessons for advanced techniques

Skaidon

Thank You for your advice! I've been looking at Les Paul copies recently, but also looked at the Yamaha Pacifica.

Underscore

Ah LP copies.

You have no doubt heard of the Epiphone brand, you can't really go wrong with them.

But a lesser known brand which are LP copies can sound just as good, these are known as Tokai, a Japanese brand. The "Love Rock" series are LP copies and sound amazing for the price. Not quite as cheap as Epiphone but as I said can actually sound better than a real Gibson LP depending on setup.