• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Hammond L-122 VST !

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret)
Hi everyone.

We all know NI B4 MkII as a great VST reproduction of the legendary B3.

There is also a very good reproduction of the also legendary but not so known to some, L-122.
Best used by Tony Banks with Genesis' early albums before turning to T-102.

Here :
http://www.prosolovst.com/VL122_home.htm

This VSTi has every detail of the original, plus a complete Leslie simulation on board with all relative controls, a tube amp simulation, a good reverb unit with two settings and full midi control. Enough presets to start are also included.

Not in standalone mode, but this is easy to achieve with the well known SaviHost from Herman Seib.
Find a nice photo from the web and an .ico making program, then we can create an icon to replace the purple savi one on desktop to play right away with just one click.

This lovely VST responded to everything I thrown and it fills a gap on Hammond models so far we've seen.
For those having a 2 man 3 & 1/2 oct each / one oct ped console and midi/USB is a must, to get this L122 distinctive sound :)

Check it out !
Best
Panos

scush

Why not M102 better organ.
Or better still get a real clockwork hammond.
Electronics are no substitute for dem wheels?

John.

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Hi scush :)

Yeah, no substitute. I'm sad I don't have my C3 any more and getting a real one from USA is a long and expensive way for me , even if I see super bargains starting from $.300.....

So, I believe this L-112 VSTi is still a good choice, as it's totally free and has good sound, not like the one I got in Komplete 8 Ultimate, but really good , full midi control and works great in a mix with other instruments (tested !) :)

Also one with an old organ console (midied..) 2m with 3 1/2 oct and 13note pedal and low fi sound can transform it into a first class organ with a small netbook and this L-122 vst ! Simple and super, considering what was before.

Is there a M102 VSTi ???

Best
Panos

scush

Hi Panos.
I don't know about vsti
As a kid M102 was my dream machine.
But By the time I got a Hammond (costing the price of a starter home) it had moved on to the model T.
which I still have.
Since the perceived value has collapsed I now have a M102.
With It's almost fast leslie like vibrato celeste, built in reverb,9 harmonics on the lower manual and powerfull bass.
Think It the best Of them all.

ps bwv590=y

Last edited:

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Hi John :)

Lucky to have an M102.....
I'm dreaming of the earlier M series with the round speaker bellow !

L-122 made famous from Tony Banks and the Genesis sound, Keith Emerson 's show off's, Vangelis' experiments and Dave Greenfield of the Stranglers !!!!.....

LOL

But M-102 made it to immortality with Procol Harum and the Whiter shade and Pink Floyd / Rick Wright on Live in Pompeii !!!!!!!

Have fun !

Best
Panos

PS, Both M and L series had no key click like B3 / C3... right ?

scush

Hi Panos.
As all the Info is on the web,I'll keep it short.
L100 was a budget instument approx 20% cheaper than the M.
The chassis of the amplifiers ect are different from the rest of the hammonds.
From the introduction of harmonic percusion with the three series,all the consoles and the m's share the same chassis.
The difference in the M is the lower manual.
It has an extra drawbar above the 1' it's a mixture of two tones a third and a fifth.
This give's it a brightness not possible on other hammonds.
ps they all click,they are after all clockwork.

john.

pps, Don't get an organ from america it would keep poor time?.
I mean their mains is 60hz it would be very flat.

Last edited:

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

)))) My Yamaha EL-90 comes from US.... ))))) Got a special AC/DC adapter for 220v.... It rocks solid !
I presume the same would be with a Hammond (?).

Back in 1984 I was in a studio with another key player for recording. Both had a minimoog D in our set-up, with the difference mine was bright wood and "Greek" model and John's was Dark wood and US model with the adaptor... Couldn't spot any difference except the tuning cycles ... each one had its own..... (?) Mains ?

Must be great to have some brighter tones on lower. And a waterfall keyboard !

And to return to the thread, this L122 VST has another extra feature : Harmonic leaks ! By selecting the button we can hear this effect, but the same amount on every man & the ped....
This gives an extra tiny brightness . It's a very good try for a free and independent release. I also saw they offer an RMI piano and an ARP ProSoloist ;-)

Looks like they try to build a virtual Tony Banks' early setup ???? LOL

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

Hi John ,

L122 VST not really like this, but we can come close to 60~70% with some more editing

With B4II ... YES!!
This gem has any detail of the original, from a brand new B3 to an old one with lots of Leaks, different amp/cabinets and even the noise from the mechanical action of the Leslie, both bass and horn....

Then we can play today with these sounds and record, even add vinyl scratch ! But from my experience so far, there's not at all any interest on using Hammond on modern productions, what a shame :-/

The only difference is, being on the real Hammond console, feel the waterfall keyboard and the drawbars and wood in front of you and feel the vibration of the environment real time :)

On this recording intro, the tonewheel leakage is apparent and the registration is a bit like the percussion volume louder than the drawbars, then it turns more standard organ comp and in some places he stayed on fast Leslie speed longer than it should LOL

Bach's G string aria influenced this one, which in turn the "whiter shade of pale" hmmmmmm THANKS for posting this link !

Panos

PS.Just to prevent a possible question (which I prefer, real or B4II) I would like BOTH ! The real thing for live performance and the VSTi for recordings !! LOL

scush

Hi Panos,
WATERFALL KEYBOARD.
I have (I am the present guardian of) A 1940's model BC.
When guitarist friend's have seen it for the first time they have usualy said "Hey a B3".
This is understandable, apart from the non present vibrato and percusion tabs, It looks the same.
This instrument has a second (chorus) generator,It has both the appearence and dimensions of the main generator.
It adds a celeste to the upper part of the keyboards.
This extra generator must have added another 30% to the cost of an already very expensive instrument.
It's this that makes the B case as deep as it is,
The keys of these earlier models were made from a hard bakelite material,They have sharp edge's.
In todays world, The user manual would have to state the folowing information.
"Warning Any Attempt to perform a palm glissando on these keyboard's will most likely result in injury to the hands or damage to the instrument".

Waterfall , Diving Board, ??????, Huh ?.
It just shows how quickly Myths and legends grow that do not represent the fact's.

Some time ago I tried out some of N.I.'s Great V.S.T.I's.
I was using B4-11 + Absynth for bass.
It wasn't very long before I was having a go at one of my favourite's.

john.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGOC72Gd-ME

Last edited:

Ghekorg7 (Ret)

))))))))))))))))))))) Thanks John.
Myths and Facts. So true.

Motown !!!!! > EarlVanDyke !!!! Great. I'm keeping Stevie, Temptations and Marvin Gaye... were my favourites back then. Cool video.

Playing on the real thing is the best, but for those unable to, all those VSTi small gems can keep good company and the illusion of being there :)

Best
Panos

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hey Panos, thanks for the link. Very interesting instrument. The turn on/off switch is a nice effect, though I don't think it's all that realistic (I mean pitch "going down" for such a long time)?