• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

The Administrators Favorite...

giovannimusica

Commodore de Cavaille-Coll
Would our Dear Administrator care to share about an organ work that is his alltime favorite to play and to listen to? just curious...

Giovanni
tiphat.gif

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
My favorite organ work... hmmm... It's a difficult question because there are so many works which I love, both to play and listen to. I simply can't pick one favorite. However, I wouldn't mind to share some of the works that I especially appreciate (but please keep in mind that the list is very far from complete - these are just the first works I think of, on top of my head. It's 100% certain that there are lots of works missing that I for some reason don't think of or have forgotten right now)

By J.S.Bach: I'm tempted to say that every work by Johann Sebastian Bach is my favorite
wink.gif
- and it's actually not that far from the truth. However, one piece means something extra special to me and that is Prelude and Fugue in G minor, BWV 535. it does not fail to give me the goosebumps every single time I work with it. It even brings tears to my eyes, it's that powerful! However, it is one of my least favorite works to listen to because I have never heard any organist get it "right". I intend to try and do a recording myself one day, but not now. In some years, out of respect for the work and realization of my own limits (with the knowledge that there is a reason why no one in my opinion plays it right) I will practice it and work with it for years. I'm in no hurry.

I've always loved the Choral No.3 by César Franck. It was also one of the first works I leaned when I started playing organ. I had heard it on an old tape and told my teacher that I'd like to play it.

Toccata & Fugue in d-minor, Op. 129 by Max Reger is awork I enjoy listening to very much. I have a great CD where Michael Pohl performs it on the restored Sauer Organ in Berlin Cathedral.

And not to forget »Symphonie Passion« by Marcel Dupré. That's music right up my alley
»Apparition de l'Eglise eternelle« by Olivier Messiaen (and many other works by him as well)

I could go on... but have to stop now (have to go back to work composing
wink.gif
)

Kind regards
Frederik

acc

However, one piece means something extra special to me and that is Prelude and Fugue in G minor, BWV 535. it does not fail to give me the goosebumps every single time I work with it. It even brings tears to my eyes, it's that powerful! However, it is one of my least favorite works to listen to because I have never heard any organist get it "right".

That's a phenomenon I've encountered as well: when you've studied a work you care much about, you end up having a very precise idea of how it "ought" to be played - and you tend to be more or less dissatisfied by any other interpretation than your own.

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
That's a phenomenon I've encountered as well: when you've studied a work you care much about, you end up having a very precise idea of how it "ought" to be played - and you tend to be more or less dissatisfied by any other interpretation than your own.

Indeed, and that's exactly how I feel about that work. However, I hope it's clear that what I find to be the "right" way, I am fully aware is just my own subjective opinion (with a touch of objectivity but mostly subjective). I of course respect that other interpreters feel different about the piece (as long as they respect that I dislike the way they play it
wink.gif
)

giovannimusica

Commodore de Cavaille-Coll
Dear sir,

What a coincidence - those works are among my favorites as well. The P&F in G-minor was one of the fist pieces I performed at a recital. The Reger T&F in D-minor was part of my second recital as were the Trois Chorals of Franck and Apparition de l'Eglise eternelle of Messiaen. The Dupre Passion Symphony came much later on as did his Chemin de la Croix. Vierne's organ symphonies 1,3 and 6 are, for me at least, a good cross-section of his entire oeuvre. But these days, JSBach and Charles Tournemire are the ones that take care of my needs.

Respectfully yours,

Giovanni
tiphat.gif