Sunset for Piano, after the listening

John Watt

I thought it was going to be a rare treat, in the mood for some soft piano, actually catching some stress in my life a little while ago, and I am sitting in front of a computer with speakers, so I looked here.

Sunset for Piano started off softly, sounding, and feeling, very familiar. I was even thinking of those TV shows on Sunday afternoons when I was a child, where a record subscription company sponsored a movie and played music too, my parents ordering sometimes, maybe some Eric Satie. That was the first eight or ten seconds.

Then I heard a tripping bass note, not disconcerting, a little surprising, and then some hard hits to accent some mid-range tones, breaking up the pastoral peace, and then the volume grew. This made me think I was at peace, thinking the sun is going down, and the louder volume made me think I was now stopping to look at all the sky, and it grew louder. I had to turn it down a little, losing something, but I have to be polite with borrowed equipment with employees around.

It was nice to listen along, seeing rays of light and darker turmoil, like sunsets over Lake Erie, and the ending seem to fade, like bits and pieces of the last of the sunset, until a frilly string of notes ended the piece, like the last of the sun disappearing. Not tossed off like an arpeggio, but like the last twinklings of fading sunlight.

This was more than just nice! And I feel better too.

Last edited:

John Watt

I'm going to clarify a previous comment about Frederik Magle's playing,
not wanting to seem even just a little disrespectful, especially if for me, it's more than just good.
Sounding like something you've heard is a nice way to start, at the start.
There's nothing nicer than an audience feeling comfortable with you and your music,
being able to settle in for a nice listen.
I used to wonder why Jimi Hendrix used to open a concert with a cover tune,
or why he would do any at all, having more music of his own than he needed for a concert.
But he was generating tones, industrial and military sounds, that weren't heard that loudly onstage before,
so he was generous, acclimatizing his audience to his new sounds.
Book publishers say if a book is more than 75% new, most people won't like it or finish it,
so that works for your eyes as well as your ears.