Best-Selling Latin-Styled Guitarist Johannes Linstead Is Back

Lillian

Johannes Linstead is a best-selling, chart-topping, award-winning musician who performs original material with a top-caliber band. His eighth solo album, TALES OF A GYPSY, has just been released. This is world-fusion music at its best -- highly-melodic, great musicianship, sparkling production, interesting arrangements.

Most of his albums have risen high on the prestigious Billboard New Age sales chart and are regularly top the various radio airplay charts such as the eMusic World Music and Jazz/Blues charts and the Zone Music Reporter (ZMR) international radio chart. His last recording, MISTICO, was the winner of Best World Album and Best Acoustic Instrumental Album at the ZMR Awards.

TALES OF A GYPSY is an appropriate title for this album because Linstead has been to approximately 25 countries, and starting during his childhood, he has spent quite a bit of time in Spain, Mexico, South America and many islands in the Caribbean (his father passed down a passion for Latin culture). Linstead explains that “during my travels I discovered some of the possibilities of Latin guitar in contemporary instrumental music. I was being influenced by many Latin styles like salsa, merengue and cumbia, especially the rhythms and the horns. I tried to emulate the horn solos on my guitar.”

You can hear how his travels inspired the music on the new album. He always works with an international band with each of the players hailing from a different country and nationality and culture. The result is a world music sound, but with its roots firmly planted in Latin music with Linstead’s Spanish guitar leading the way. The tunes range from uptempo fiesta-party music to a few slow, thoughtful, subdued-passion numbers. It is a perfect balance for a party with friends or a special evening with a loved one.