What is the name of your favorite composition?

Alie

For some time already I can say that my favorite classical music composition is “Pavane” by Gabriel Faure. I was very surprised when the violist Maxim Rysanov, whose works I always liked, issued a disk with the same name few days ago… It made me really happy, when I’ve found it at eclassical.com site! There are compositions of Claude Debussy, Richard Dubugnon, Gabriel Faure and Maurice Ravel and the disk itself is recordered with Ashley Wass.
And what is your favorite composition?

Dorsetmike

I don't think I have a single favourite work, almost anything Renaissance or Baroque suits me, John Stanley's Concerti opus 2 Nos 2,3 & 5, Henry Purcell's "When I am laid in earth" Bach Passacaglia & Fugue in C minor (BWV582), and many, many others.

teddy

Duckmeister
Hallo alie and welcome to the forum. Like Mike I do not have a favourite composition. My interests in music are spread too wide,

teddy

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Hallo alie and welcome to the forum. Like Mike I do not have a favourite composition. My interests in music are spread too wide,

teddy

@ Alie, Piggybacking on what Teddy has written, perhaps you would like a jazz version of Pavane, done by the inimitable Esbjorn Svensson Trio. If you have access to Spotify or You Tube, it can probably be found on one of those sites.
As far as favorite compositions are concerned--limiting the field to programmatic music--one of mine has to be Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis, composed by the great English composer Ralph Vaughan Williams.

Last edited:

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
@Alie I see you are into some of the French impressionist composers I also rate them very highly no one wrote for Flute better than Debussy, on Thursday evening we listened to Franks Sonata for Violin and Piano which must be one of the finest ever written welcome to our ranks. :cheers:

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Welcome aboard Alie - You've arrived at a great site with supersweetlywonderful members all.

At this point I can only feebly echo what my illustrious colleagues said - Those who posted before me in this thread...

wljmrbill

Welcome to the forums. I too do not have a favorite as such as I have favorites within each period of musical composition.

Tesla

This, I think, is a bit of an unfair question. Too many that simply could not be cut in order to arrive at one. So I'll give Five. There that should do it. 1) Berlioz - Les Troyens 2) Wagner - Tristan und Isolde 3) Bruckner - Symphony No. 8 3) Bach - St. Matthew Passion 3) Berg - Lulu 4) Mahler - Symphony No. 9 and 5) Shostakovich - Symphony No. 8

JHC

At the moment I would go with the Goldberg's - Rosalyn Tureck

ericwood992

For some time already I can say that my favorite classical music composition is “Pavane” by Gabriel Faure. I was very surprised when the violist Maxim Rysanov, whose works I always liked, issued a disk with the same name few days ago… It made me really happy, when I’ve found it at eclassical.com site! There are compositions of Claude Debussy, Richard Dubugnon, Gabriel Faure and Maurice Ravel and the disk itself is recordered with Ashley Wass.
And what is your favorite composition?

The trouble with this question for me Alie is that at my age, I cannot bring to mind all the pieces of classical music which I love to compare them and therefore pick a favourite!!! Getting a bit muddled and forgetful I'm afraid. Rach Symph 2 springs to mind as an obvious contender though. Then there's Wagner's melodies (all of them!), Chopin Etudes and Waltzes (all of them!), I seem to remember some Liszt, Debussy, Tchaikovsky, Mozart, and definitely Faure, oh, sorry Alie, this is too difficult for me!

Best wishes,
Eric.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
After 50+ years as a professional church musician, there are too many 'favourites' that it would be almost impossible to select just one for all time.

I do have favourites ... mostly anything organ/orchestra (classical compositions), and grand chorus stuff like the Mozart Coronation Mass in C, one that I have played many times in the US and abroad years ago.

I do hope that you are checking this thread, Alie ... I see that you haven't visited since Oct 2012 and hope all is well and that you can and will return to this forum, soon :)

JHC

@Eddie I have not heard this piece can you post a link

John Watt

Yeah, I've been through a lot in the music business, except for no problems getting paid, and the offers.
I can think about all the musicians I've played with, the jamming and the set lists I've done.
The continuous waves of new technology, onstage and off, have been a big part of my experience.
But there is one song that takes me back to my youth, when I'd play the carpeting like a piano, watching TV.
It's one of the first records I took out when I could get a library card, and I still feel the same, hearing it now.
I even had it figured out on guitar, way back in the sixties, just the solo intro.
Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata", in C#m. I like it better in Cm.

Pomreyns

Like so many of the other members of the group i find i have too many favourites to post just 1
I love baroque music esp Vivaldi, Fasch, etc...
I love the music of Ralph Vaughan Williams (Lark ascending is heavenly and fantasia on theme of Thomas Tallis is divine)
any recording by The English Concert when led by the great Trevor Pinnock