Converting scores.

Dorsetmike

I recently downloaded a load of MIDI files from IMSLP, various composers and various ensembles, wind, string, voice and Keyboard.

My main interest in them is for use in GrandOrgue, which in most cases requires some degree of conversion.

I choose to download MIDI files as I can import them to my Notation app Finalé (also possible with other notation apps).

This is usually fairly straightforward with keyboards or small groups up to trios. Today I wanted to work on some madrigals for 5 voices to play on a 2 manual and pedal organ, the intention being to use the pedals for the bass line, then combine the remaining lines in pairs to the manuals. This would work just as easily with a wind or string quintet or combination of string and wind, woodwind and brass etc. 6 or 7 parts might take a bit more fiddling as to which parts you combine on a staff

I set up a "template" for 3 staves added key and time sigs, then opened the vocal work and the template side by side (wide screen monitor helps") I then selected the upper vocal staff and copied it, pasted to the upper stave of the template, selected second vocal staff, copied it to layer 2 then copied it, then selected "layer 2" and "display active layer only" on the template, then pasted to upper stave; coming out of "display active layer only" I then repeated the process to copy the next two staves to layers on the second staff of the template. Bass line no problems with layers, just straight copy/paste. I then test played the "template" through GO (could also use Synth), I next saved the "template" as a MIDI file "test1.mid" (or whatever suits you) Play that to test it works.

Close the "template" giving it a temporary name, now import the new MIDI file and that should have merged the layer 1 and layer 2 you can now go in and do any editing or tweaking.

If needed you can have the "template" displayed alongside the import from the saved MIDI for comparison

I prefer to adjust tempo etc direct in the MIDI file, I find Finalé often ignores any changes, it's also easy to apply rit's and other expression marks how and where you want them, Midiocre (free MIDI file editor)has a graphical tempo display, just slide it up or down and set start and end points, comes in handy at the end of a repeat, saves having to do alternate endings if you want a longer rit.

Another thing I do in the MIDI file is insert stop changes, using divisionals. I set the divisionals prior to "playing" the piece. Divisional can be changed by a Cx Programme change command on the relevant channel.

Hope this helps somebody.