The mind boggles

Dorsetmike

Pratt of the week award;

This week it goes to the hugely smug Lord Bichard, who is a former benefits chief and sits on a quango looking at demographic changes and their impact on public services.

He has said that retired people should do community work or face losing part of their pension so as not to be a burden on the state

Firstly, the moron should know that pensioners have paid in for their pensions in good faith, having been told that National Insurance would give them a good pension. People have contributed for their pensions and it is their pension. It is not for the government to use as a carrot or a stick. During good times, the government should have built up a pension reserve rather than used pension funds for funding vanity projects like the millennium dome so that state pensions were not the giant Ponzi scheme they are now.

Lord Bichard also needs reminding that community service is a judicial sanction judges can give criminals. Is being a pensioner therefore, going to be a criminal act in his brave new world?

In addition, it appears that his lordship is setting a perfect example, as at the ripe old age of 54 he retired from the Civil Service in May 2001 with a pension of £120,000 p.a.!

Pratt of the Week - Michael George Bichard, Baron Bichard, KCB,
More like Pratt of the year

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
He should come to NZ not many of our organisations could manage without the army of volunteers from the old and decrepit

St John Ambulance, many rest homes, all sport clubs, returned servicemen association, the removal of graffiti etc etc

bureaucrats no use to anyone

musicteach

Could I just say I have no idea what you just said? I can't see greens so great. I'm partially colour blind ;) It's grey against a blue almost gray for me (most of it). Could someone resay for me please?

Chi_townPhilly

Sr. Regulator
Sr. Regulator
Could I just say I have no idea what you just said? I can't see greens so great. I'm partially colour blind ;) It's grey against a blue almost gray for me (most of it). Could someone resay for me please?
Here's a "self-service" tip from your friendly Leadership Team...

Whenever there's text that you can't read, owing to some sub-optimally chosen (from your perspective) font-color, simply click the "reply with quote" area, and it'll open up a dialog-box with the text in black, on a white background. [Plus, of course, all the 'parse-notations' involving use of font-color, type-face, et al---]. You can read the message there, then click the 'back' icon to return to where you were.:tiphat:

musicteach

Here's a "self-service" tip from your friendly Leadership Team...

Whenever there's text that you can't read, owing to some sub-optimally chosen (from your perspective) font-color, simply click the "reply with quote" area, and it'll open up a dialog-box with the text in black, on a white background. [Plus, of course, all the 'parse-notations' involving use of font-color, type-face, et al---]. You can read the message there, then click the 'back' icon to return to where you were.:tiphat:

Never thought of this thanks

JHC

@Mike He probably never did a days work in his life ;)
did you hear me?

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister

This can be such a problem for some of us that I posted a thread titled COLOURS on the 27/05/2010. My main problen is blue/black but red can also cause me problems.

teddy

Dorsetmike

I just tried the "reply with quote" Chi & Teddy and got Green on a white ground, there's no need to go for reply with quote, it's easier to just highlight the whole message, that comes up black on white.

Last edited:

Dorsetmike

@Mike He probably never did a days work in his life ;)
did you hear me?

Colin, he was a high level civil servant, none of them "work"! Indeed the terms "civil service/servant" and "work" do not normally appear in the same paragraph, let alone sentence.

Why would I not hear you? I AM NOT DEAF!

JHC

Colin, he was a high level civil servant, none of them "work"! Indeed the terms "civil service/servant" and "work" do not normally appear in the same paragraph, let alone sentence.

Why would I not hear you? I AM NOT DEAF!

Yeoooo...................................bovvered.jpg

John Watt

I'm translational enough to want to agree about the "Pratt of the year",
but what's a "quango"?
Is that an adjustable office chair with fine liquer bottle holders in the arms?

teddy

Duckmeister
No John. Its a group of (very) overpaid pratts who interfere in our lives.

I think it very reasonable that pensioners have to work. Also politicians who should also do 40 hours unpaid work a week, and walk or use public transport to get everywhere. This should be paid out of their own pocket. Subsidised canteens in both houses should be closed. So should the subsidised alcohol and tobacco which the currently enjoy, And I won't even start on their pensions or allowances which should be scrapped immediately.

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
Don't you like the idea of politicians working Mike. I should have also added that they would have to live on £100.00 a week. Surely a fair arrangement if we will have to work through our retirement :D

teddy

JHC

A Quango is an Aussie feral rodent that hides by sticking it's head up it's back side. All polies should be forced to retire at 65 with no perks or pensions save for the normal state pension.

Last edited:

marval

I have no problem doing voluntary work, but it should be my choice.

Why don't they leave the pensioners alone and make the people who get handouts, because the are too lazy to work (not those who cannot work) do these things.

Some people see being on the dole as a lifestyle choice, well it should not be. There are some who want to work and those who don't. If they choose just to sign on and get paid for the privilege, they should be madeto do something in the community.

Dorsetmike

Yep Margaret, those getting the dole should be made to do some sort of work (if they are fit enough) and if necessary get a thorough medical/physical examination to prove their eligibilty to claim for disabled status, and not by their tame GP.

The work should be hard physical labour, pity road making is mostly mechanised these days. Alternatively if they have some useful qualification then maybe employed in work for a charity or conservation body relevant to their abilities.

Also bring back some form of national service, not necessarily military but somewhere to get a sense of discipline and gain interpersonal skills, teamwork etc. Preferably starting in some remote location with a harsh climate with little or no entertainment, booze, or drugs etc provided, minimum of a year, or until they learn the necessary life skills. One possibility could be their second year spent in "3rd world" countries providing infrastructure and education.