You scratch my back ... ... ... ...

Dorsetmike

> Ad in a local newspaper:
>
> We are a small restaurant located near the city center, and we are looking for musicians to play for free, this will give you the opportunity to promote your music and sell your CD’s.
> This is not a residency, only for special occasions to begin with and could turn into regular work once we see a positive response from the public.
> We prefer you to play Jazz, Rock and rhythms from all over the world and from various cultures. Are you interested in promoting your work? Then get in touch with us as soon as
> possible.

>
> Reply from a musician
>
> Happy New Year! I am a musician with a big house and I’m looking for a restaurant owner to come to my house to promote his restaurant and cook for free for my friends and me.
> This will not be a daily event, it will only take place on special occasions to start with, however, it could eventually grow and turn into something big if the response is positive. We prefer first class meat and exotic dishes from different cultures. Are you interested in promoting your restaurant? Then get in touch with us as soon as possible.

marval

Well the restaurant did ask for that sort of reply. I wonder if they manage to do each other a favour.

teddy

Duckmeister
Love it. I may start canvasing some of the local business people who ask me for free advice, and the take my business elsewhere.

teddy

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
For a new group just setting up this would be a good arrangement ..... you learn to play for an audience, you learn what not to play and you will find out how to deal with bum notes and mistakes. so not all bad.

Dorsetmike

You do have a point Colin, however some sort of payment, even if only free food and drink should be offered, and I would suggest not many appearances to learn those points you make, after which maybe a few further (lowish) paid performances to consolidate, then full going rate. If the restaurant has gained customers as a result then the payment will be justified.

JHC

I had to do this with a Quartet that I formed and no free drinks, we were happy to have some where to play to an audience and the arrangement was for 6 weeks by that time we had ironed out most of our bad areas and got the job permanently. we were young and inexperienced

ericwood992

Quite right Colin!
When you're starting, in whatever field, an offer of unpaid experience should be seriously considered in my view. What was it Tennyson said? Something like "All experience is an arch through which gleams the untravelled world".

teddy

Duckmeister
Before the last government here put its oar in local groups could go into pubs and coffee bars and practise. Many famous players/singers started that way. Now you need a licence. It did a good job of killing off potentially talented people. Now we have the X FACTOR. Nuff said.

teddy

JHC

Before the last government here put its oar in local groups could go into pubs and coffee bars and practise. .

teddy
So the days of "The Clubs" is gone what a pitty,

Just thought of the Working men club and one for X service men I can't remember the name....
I remember being introduced to live music at the Working men clubs there were Welsh miners Irish and Scot lads working in the car factories and even some Italian POW what a feast of music these people brought to us, those were truly the good old days (for music that is)

Last edited: