ANYONE FOR DVDs (JAZZ)?

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I have this on tape but am down loading thanks.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hi, Eric. There is a similar thread here that you might find interesting.

Last edited:

ericwood992

Hi, Eric. There is a similar thread here that you might find interesting.

Hi Mat,
Yes, on this thread I am referring to DVDs available now though, retail. I do like the visual image of the concert as I used to be an avid concert goer and love to 'see' the artists performing.
I do like the Full Length YT video thread very much, but am just airing a few of the DVDs I have in my collection.
Thanks again Mat.
Best,
Eric.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Oh, okay. I must've misunderstood the idea of you thread, sorry. And as for the DVDs - I really enjoyed seeing Robbie Wiliams' performance at the Royal Albert Hall. Here's an excerpt.

Last edited:

stu

Hi Eric,
I have that Ellington DVD and it is excellent stuff. I also have the Anita O'Day At Newport.
I have a few others but somehow most of my listening now is by head phones. Like you, I am, (or not so much nowadays), an avid concert goer. I kept a diary of all my concert, club and festival attendances through the last sixty or so years and without delving around checking it out I reckon it must be around the four hundred mark.
I enjoyed them all. Great indeed watching all the greats in action, even the edge of seat anticipation as they walked out on stage, be it Brubeck, Coleman Hawkins, Roy Eldridge, Sonny Stitt, Stan Getz, Duke, Basie, Kenton, Woody, Armstrong, Bill Evans, Lee Konitz, Zoot Sims, Al Cohn, Jay McShann, Art Blakey, Dizzy, etc etc. Fun times as well. (Dizzy, "I will now introduce the members of the quintet!" Then he would ignore the audience and introduce each band member to each other!":) )
It all seemed to be over too quickly and most had so much in the music that was so memorable, and now, I find somehow that with CD listening I can immerse in the music and concentrate just that bit more.

Last edited:

ericwood992

Hi Stu,
We have indeed had some privileged experiences! I have always loved the British jazz scene concerts very much also. I can't count the number of Humph concerts I have been to along with Tubby Hayes, Alex Welch, Barber, Ball and Bilk, Bruce Turner, Saints, Merseysippi, Terry Lightfoot, etc.etc.
I listen mainly through AKG Q701 headphones plugged into my HiFi amp connected to my wide flat screen HD TV when watching DVDs and I love this.
I'll track down some more YT excerpts from my DVD collection tomorrow hopefully.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Ok, guys. I get it, I get it! But at least give some credit to the band.

Dorsetmike

I think the best concert I ever went to was the MJQ at Birmingham town hall, packed house but you heard every note, the audience was in rapt silence during each number, no foot tapping, no applause after a solo, but deafening applause at the end of each piece. Absolutely stunning.

stu

Yes Mike and Eric, I also attended two concerts by the MJQ. Absorbing music and as Mike states, applause only at the conclusion of each number.
The second occasion I saw them they were joined by two guest soloists, Baritone saxophonist Ronnie Ross and altoist Joe Harriot.

stu

Eric,
There were quite a few recordings made by the Manchester Sports Guild back in the sixties. Three sessions that come to mind that I have are by Earl Hines, trumpet player Bill Coleman, and Eddie 'Lockjaw Davis'. Maybe you attended them? I'll have a listen and if I hear a "go man!" it might be you!!:)

ericwood992

Stu,
I only attended the Eddie Davis session out of those I'm afraid. Didn't hear about the others - great shame because I would love to have seen Earl Hines. Don't know why I missed them unless they were early in the 60s, before I discovered the MSG. That was the club that cemented my love of jazz.
P.S. Just received and am listening to a new recording of an LP I bought in 1960 - Tonight Only! by Dave Brubeck Quartet with a young Carmen McRae singing alternate numbers - it's fabulous!!!! The CD includes five extra tracks which were recorded at the time of the LP but not included. A really beautiful CD!!!

ericwood992

Love this one - Billie Holiday DVD "Strange Fruit" on Salt Peanuts label (No 44609).

God Bless the Child
Now Baby or never
My Man
Please don't talk about me when I'm gone
Billies Blues
Easy to Remember
What a Little Moonlight Can Do
Foolin' Myself
I only have eyes for you.
Travelin' light
Strange Fruit
I loves you Porgy
FINE AND MELLOW (my favourite jazz video clip, ever!!! OK, most of you will have seen and heard it, but it is a classic which never loses it's freshness.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SThGnrorGW8

Enjoy.

ericwood992

The Jaques Loussier Trio Play Bach. 1989 Munich Concert. Sadly not the original trio with Christian Garros and Pierre Michelot, but Andre Arpino and Vincent Charbonnier play well on bass and drums. (The pianist IS original!!!). Decca DVD + CD.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I lost interest in Loussier when an electric bass appeared, just as an after thought do you think his playing of JSB converted many people to classical?? :p

stu

Eric, sorry I missed that post on 25th Jan. I used to get Manchester Sports Guild jazz flyers for upcoming concert tours by some of the musicians, I think they were contained within the Jazz Journal.
Also, Ernie Garside? sent out flyers on upcoming tours.
Until you mentioned the Dave Brubeck 'Tonight Only' CD, I had only one track (A Carmen McRae vocal) from this on Cd. I have since listened to the short excerpts on Amazon and I really enjoy what I hear and this one is on my 'must get soon' list.:)