Happy birthday piano variations

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Did you know that "Happy Birthday" song is copyrighted? Warner/Chappell Music owns it ... and supposedly is able to claim royalties each time it is played ... :crazy:.

There is a lawsuit in progress though ... in which the suitor is requesting that the piece be remanded to Public Domain ...

In the meantime though, I doubt that Warner/Chappell is going to be everywhere to collect from us all ... :lol:

teddy

Duckmeister
I believe it is the music rather than the words where the dispute lies. Happy Birthday was a new set of words to an existing tune. I will watch the progress of this case with interest

teddy

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I believe it is the music rather than the words where the dispute lies. Happy Birthday was a new set of words to an existing tune. I will watch the progress of this case with interest

teddy

Actually it is the words ... and the tune ... here's an article on the matter. It does state in the article that singing these words at home, in private, is not violating copyrights, but when it is sung in public, the copyright holder is entitled to collect a royalty fee.

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/happy-birthday-lawsuit-1200500544/ said:
“Happy Birthday” originated in an 1893 manuscript for sheet music that included the song, “Good Morning to All,” which was written by Mildred J. Hill and her sister, Patty Smith Hill. The lyrics to “Happy Birthday” were adapted to the melody of that song some time in the early part of the 20th century, but the sisters did not write those words. But after that, the work has a long, convoluted history.

Warner/Chappell acquired the company that claimed ownership of the song, Birch Tree Hill, in 1998."

Apparently the copyright holder insists that the new lyrics (happy birthday to you) is a separate copyright issue.

Worst case though is that it will eventually and legally become public domain, but not until the year 2030 :crazy:

teddy

Duckmeister
Well I will now sing it as often as I can and they can come and get me. I will also reinforce my reputation as a nutter. Harmless, but a nutter none the less. Now if I can only train the ducks to quack it.............

teddy