Jazz in a Classic Mood

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Sorry to be a kill joy but jazz is jazz and classic is classic and never the twain should meet, This was the type of stuff we used to play as back ground music in Hotels etc, perhaps a step up from elevator music :)

stu

Not over keen when classical and jazz come together. Sometimes maybe, it nearly works, but mostly the two elements seem to be compromised. The jazz side can be stripped of it's flow of ideas and improvising freedom, while the classical side can sound like just a convenient score to be used as a backdrop, or, up front doing something entirely at odds with the jazz side.

I feel The Modern Jazz Quartet often got it nearly right.
This is a Blues On Bach, titled Blues In B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RGIMxQqwrGE

Last edited:

JHC

The MJQ were indeed the doppelganger of the St Qt in classical and no one has come close to bettering them that I know of, and not by playing a classical piece with a beat but in all their playing, the worst thing that I hear is when a classical singer tries to sing a jazz or rhythmic number they just have not got that feel to it, I will not mention names.... oh hell why not! our own Kiri Te Kanawa is a magnificent soprano her Mozart in particular really gets to me "and I am not a Mozart lover" but when she sings a swingy number I cringe there are others that tried it, Pavarotti, Domingo and Carreras so there I go again......

OLDUDE

Never-the-less Colin, I think that most of the tracks in the above posts go to
confirm the feel that I sometimes get, that a blend of the two styles can
occasionally be successfully obtained.

JHC

Never-the-less Colin, I think that most of the tracks in the above posts go to
confirm the feel that I sometimes get, that a blend of the two styles can
occasionally be successfully obtained.
By all means John I too enjoyed playing it (it paid well :grin: ) but at this time in my life I really prefer one or the other.

OLDUDE

Lets all just keep listening to anything that gives us pleasure without worrying what type of music it is

JHC

Lets all just keep listening to anything that gives us pleasure without worrying what type of music it is
I am not quite with you John you did ask "I hope Forum members will give their own ideas on the subject" :confused:

OLDUDE

Thats fine Colin, I do hope that anyone wishing to contribute to the thread will do so.
It seems more likely that those wishing to do so have now had there say, and my
comment was just me giving a final clumsy wind-up offering.
Just ignore me like my wife does and continue the thread as you wish.
By the way have you or anyone heard from Mat recently? he would normally have contributed to this sort of thread.

Dorsetmike

By the way have you or anyone heard from Mat recently? he would normally have contributed to this sort of thread.

He did close a thread this morning with his Regulators hat on.

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister
I seem to remember Mat started a similar thread a while back. Personally I think it is possible to cross boundaries with music and obtain some wonderful results. And where exactly are the boundaries? Here we go again.

teddy

JHC

Well I have heard some terrible efforts particularly with classical trained singers trying to do a jazzy number and the same with orchestras so once again I am on my own. "do what you do do well" and don't be a smart ass

teddy

Duckmeister
I think some of the worst results are due to bandwagon jumping. Well I am good at what I do so I will be good at that as well. Does not always work unfortunately

teddy