Arvo Part

slim

I'm listening to Te Deum for the first time right now, and it is beautiful and peaceful.

Can anyone suggest a similar subject, but far more rousing, please?

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
The Berliner Messe on that Cd is my favorite of the bunch - The Te Deum by Anton Bruckner is quite the "rouser"...

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Hi Slim try these:
BEATUS with the Estonian Philharmonic chamber choir. Tonu Kaljuste
On Virgin Classics 7243. 5. 45276. 2. 3 contains 8 works

ARVO PART
Polyphony. Andrew Lucas organ. Stephen Layton cond
Contains 6 works. Hyperion CDA66960

ALINA.
Vladimir Spivakov Violin
Sergej Bezrodny Piano
Dietmar Schwalke Cello
Alexander Malter Piano
Thoroughly recommend this as an instrumental work it is IMO outstanding
ECM New series 1591 449 958 2

IN PRINCIPIO (2003) for mixed choir and orchestra
Estonian Nat Sym Orch - Estonian Phillharmonic chamber choir - Tallin Chamber Orch
I cant give you a number for this as it was a torrent. :angel:

slim

Thanks, JHC!

They say that torrents have replaced dogs as man's best friend...:whistle::angel:

CMB

You really can't go wrong with any Arvo Part selections. The Passio is lovely, and his early stuff like the Cantus in memory of Benjamin Britten or Fratres, or the Tabula Rasa
(the latter I first heard on a rock radio station during late night programming)

slim

I'm really enjoying Part, CMB, but now I'm looking for something with a lot more body, kind of Carl Orff - like in stature...

slim

I wasn't making a comparison JHC, but rather trying to describe the music I would like help with. Very simple.

JHC

I wasn't making a comparison JHC, but rather trying to describe the music I would like help with. Very simple.

I realise that slim.
The only bit of Orff that I have is Carmina Burana and I really dont go much on that either it is kind of clumsy and thick where as Part to my mind is plain and simple which I like.:)

slim

Can't argue with that. :D I've just started listening to Part, and it really is delicate and beautiful, isn't it?

I guess what I am after right now is something bold, triumphant and rousing. I don't know Handel's Messiah, but perhaps it's more like that than Orff?

JHC

You are now talking to a Handel addict I used to dislike GFH but thanks to the persistence of a friend I gradually became hooked, I am just going to hear a couple of his Chandos anthems, on period instruments of course :cheers: