Hi, Prestant from South Africa

Prestant

I am Prestant (I have a real name too ;)) and I'm from Sunny South Africa. I am the organist\band leader for a huge congregation in Mokopane, my home town.

Although not a pipe organ I have a magnificent Allen organ at my disposal at church, and I enjoy every minute of playing on her. (She's female, trust me...) Pipe organs in our area are generally small unit instruments with between 2 and 4 ranks, so I'm glad having the Allen as it have more "real" stops...

I enjoy Baroque (spelling?), French Romantic and modern organ music. But, being a church organist I play a lot of hymn arrangements with very clear cantus firmii during services. Our church is a "family church" focusing heavily on the youth, so I tend to keep the "Heavy Bach stuff" to a minimum as I try (try!) to cater for even the youngest members of the church with organ arrangements they can understand. Educating kids (or rather upgrading their standards) is a mammoth task... I do sometimes arrange music for the organ (hymns from our official Hymnal) with a slight modern, pop music feel so kids can relate to the organ on a level they understand. (I'm heavily criticized for this by the purists, but that's tough luck, I don't care.)

More about me? Well I started with recorder lessons when I was 4 years old, went on to piano at age six, had piano and theory as subjects in school. Then went to University of Pretoria and completed a BMus in Musicology, a Postgrad degree at UNISA also in Musicology, and in between several licenciates in organ and church music. I had the wonderful privilege to complete a one-year organ scholarship in the UK.

I work as a page layout artist specializing in layouts of sheet music and academic (music) texts. I have a small advertising paper (USA guys knows this as a Pennysaver). I do have a mass of virtual instruments that I use when designing a score (I use Sibelius), including Hauptwerk from Milan Digital Audio.

Well that's the long and short of it and enough about me. If you want to know more, just ask.

teddy

Duckmeister
Hello and welcome to the forum. I look forward to you posting some of your music.

teddy

John Watt

Yes, Prestant, it's very nice, very nice, reading what you have to say.
That last African I spoke to was Eritrean, another immigrant to Canada.
I'm of Scottish descent, being a jazzy r'n'b player using a lefty guitar I make myself.

A jazz trumpeter finally made it to L.A. but was getting confused, watching his audience turn off to him.
He was watching younger players with big afros and dashikis getting all the attention, being funky.
So he thought I better visit Africa for the first time and try to discover some roots.
As soon as the door to the plane opened, he could hear drums, so he turned to the stewardess and asked,
what's with the drums. The stewardess said "When the drums stop it's very bad".
As he drove away in a taxi he could still hear drums, so he asked the cabbie, and the cabbie said,
"Yes, when the drums stop you should cover your ears". He got the same answer from the bell hop,
the guy at the desk, his maid, and after arranging his room he walked outside,
and he asked a policeman, "What's with the drums?" The officer said "It's bad when the drums stop".
The trumpeter asked why, and the policeman said
"After the drums stop it's a bass solo".

A Buddy Rich joke told on Johnny Carson.

wljmrbill

welcome to the forums. Look forward to your postings... some Allen organs are o.k.. Lars knows alot about them.