Can anyone identify this Jazz piece?

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Seems to be an own composition I did recognise a couple of references to other well known pieces but that is common in jazz so in short 'not a clue'

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
I must join my two esteemed colleagues in expressing bafflement at the precise name of this piece; however, I will say--that to my untrained ears, at least--it does have a lot of a Thelonious Monk influence and feel to it, especially in the way the pianist puts together and uses the chords. Just my two cents/uneducated opinion.
Is there any way to contact the sponsor and/or the group staging this particular concert and perhaps inquire of them what the piece's exact name is?:confused:

Last edited:

stu

As Colin said it seems to be an own composition. My take on it is that it sounds like an 'I Got Rhythm' variant, with , as Steve said, some Monkish overtones.

Dorsetmike

Much to avant gard for me, (putting it mildly) couldn't listen past the first couple of bars/measures, hurt my ears.

jmurphy

I emailed the pianist but got no response. I also had listened to a lot of Monk to see if I could find it, but haven't placed it yet. I would guess it's based on some standard - the 4 guys playing are not usually a combo, I believe they just got together at the jazz festival for this performance. So I'm still looking for an attribution. Thanks all!

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
I emailed the pianist but got no response. I also had listened to a lot of Monk to see if I could find it, but haven't placed it yet. I would guess it's based on some standard - the 4 guys playing are not usually a combo, I believe they just got together at the jazz festival for this performance. So I'm still looking for an attribution. Thanks all!

That's really cold and uncalled for on the pianist's part not to acknowledge your request. I'm really sorry that you were treated like this!

jmurphy

Well, in Mr. Colligan's defense - as a teacher and highly in-demand artist who appears to travel quite a bit, he may not have seen my request at this point.

millions

That's really frustrating, because I've heard this tune before! It is Monkish, and basically a blues progression. As I recall (being a guitarist myself), it was played by an electric guitar and an organ.

jmurphy

That's really frustrating, because I've heard this tune before! It is Monkish, and basically a blues progression. As I recall (being a guitarist myself), it was played by an electric guitar and an organ.

Thanks! Every clue helps.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hey Murphy, this piece has been haunting me ever since you posted it over four months ago. I've heard it so many times before and yet I couldn't put a name on it! I asked some of my friends about it but they didn't know the name either. But finally, it came to me - it's Take The Coltrane.

Last edited:

stu

Well done Mat. I have recordings off that number but it just would never have registered with me.