Using natural phenomena to create music

acciaccatura

http://www.unexplainable.net/artman/publish/article_1465.shtml

"The aurora borealis, or "northern lights"--captured here by Space Shuttle Endeavor astronauts in 1992--emits strong radio waves that can be translated into audible sound when channeled through very-low-frequency radio receivers. Image credit: NASA/MSFC

The receiver will help NASA and students around the nation study the eerie "music" of planet Earth--radio waves emitted by lightning strikes and other natural phenomena, which VLF receivers deliver as a weirdly beautiful chorus."

I find the idea of using nature's own sounds as music fascinating. Has anyone heard these sounds? Are they accessible to the public?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Scientists discovered, in 2003, a Super Black Hole 250 million light years from Earth that is eminating in musical terms, a B-Flat pitch, some 57 octaves below middle C on the piano. I had read this years ago, and this thread sparked that memory - I'll have to research it again as there was an article that referenced this note in terms of how long a pipe would have to be on a pipe organ to produce this note.

Update: April 13, 2007,
Ahah, finally found the link: Big black hole sings low cosmic song

Maybe this is why my vacuum cleaner hums an audible B-flat pitch :confused:

Last edited: