Symphonische Kantate Third Movement

Torsten Brandes

Hi,
I posted this also in the Introduction Forum. Think that was wrong. So here it is again.
If you like, you can listen to a composition of mine here.

http://www.ensemble-fnm.de/torsten/symphonische_kantate/3_satz_brandes.mp3

This is a very early composition and the recording of the first performance in Bremen/Germany
Performers:
Brandenburg Symphonic Orchestra
Brandenburg Theatrechoir
Sabine Passow: Solosopran
Conductor: Heiko - Mathias Förster
Words: Else Lasker - Schüler

Gebet
Ich suche allerlanden eine Stadt,
Die einen Engel vor der Pforte hat.
Ich trage seinen großen Flügel
Gebrochen schwer am Schulterblatt
Und in der Stirne seinen Stern als Siegel.

Und wandle immer in die Nacht ...
Ich habe Liebe in die Welt gebracht, -
Daß blau zu blühen jedes Herz vermag,
Und hab ein Leben müde mich gewacht,
In Gott gehüllt den dunklen Atemschlag.

O Gott, schließ um mich deinen Mantel fest;
Ich weiß, ich bin im Kugelglas der Rest,
Und wenn der letzte Mensch die Welt vergießt,
Du mich nicht wieder aus der Allmacht läßt
Und sich ein neuer Erdball um mich schließt.

giovannimusica

Commodore de Cavaille-Coll
Hello Mr. Brandes,

A mighty good job you have done with the Symphonische Kantate - great text too.

Giovanni :tiphat:

jasholden

Hi Torsten, WOW - It sound amazing! Sorry I couldn't be there for the Premiere.
Something came up...
I've just recorded some songs and I'd like to send them to you.

lots of love, Jamie

Lee Maddeford

Thank you

I enjoyed that thoroughly. Especially the orchestration. When did you write this? Do other recordings exist?

Torsten Brandes

jasholden said:
Hi Torsten, WOW - It sound amazing! Sorry I couldn't be there for the Premiere.
Something came up...
I've just recorded some songs and I'd like to send them to you.

lots of love, Jamie

Dear Jamie,
I can´t really say how happy I am finding us here after 20 Years. I will write an email soon!! Glad that you listened to my music.
Love,
Torsten

Torsten Brandes

Lee Maddeford said:
I enjoyed that thoroughly. Especially the orchestration. When did you write this? Do other recordings exist?

Thank you very much. I wrote this movement 1995 for request. From there I changed a lot and so did my style of writing. I will maybe upload other recordings as well. I visited your homepage this night and was listening to some of you music. I´m very much impressed by the quality of your writing and the sensual heart wich I can hear behind it.
All the best,
Torsten

Lee Maddeford

Hello Torsten, I replied to your message on my thread. Thanks again. Please feel free to download whatever you like. And I'll look out for other compositions of yours.
Lee

catolliver

Bravo!!!

Torsten, this is an amazing piece, absolutely georgeous! I will have to put this on my list of favorite contemporary works for Soprano. I loved it. Wonderful.

I find it so difficult to write really long consistant passages like that. But then again, I'm only a youngster. AH, the plague of the young composer! I've made several attempts at large pieces like this and failed, in my mind at least, miserably....Oh well....one day, maybe....Until then, I will stick with film and musical theater.

Paint me impressed!

Chris

Torsten Brandes

Hi Chris,
thank you again. If you´d like to get the complete cantata just pm or mail your adress and I´ll send a copy of the original cd.
All the best,
Torsten Brandes

Last edited:

Brad Stark

I enjoyed your composition. You must have been happy with the performance from what I listened to. I wouldn’t mind hearing the entire composition sometime. Although I am also a composer, I have not written much vocal music, so it’s nice for me to see a work like yours.
Sincerely,

Brad

Torsten Brandes

Hello Brad,
thank you very much. I was listening to your Atmosphere for String Orchestra and enjoyed it a lot. Maybe you could post more compositions of yours to this forum?
I just finished the first of four planed concertos for string orchestra myself as a request from the Hungarian Virtuosi Orchestra/Budapest. They already recorded a CD with it so I can send at least one of the three movements soon.
All the best,
Torsten

Brad Stark

Greetings Torsten,

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I hope to post some of my music on this site in the future. I’m new here at the moment, so I’m not yet familiar with the procedure for posting works. I’ve written several pieces for string orchestra but I’ve only managed to get three or so played.
My piece “Atmosphere” unfortunately, is not one of them. It’s just a sample on it my webpage, but I might be able to send you a full version sometime. However, I do have some other pieces that you can hear in their entirety at:

www.download.com/bradstark

I’d be interested in hearing more of your work in the future.

Sincerely,
Brad

naiomie

Symphonische Kantate

Dear Mr. Brandes,
thank you for the possibility of listening and of course downloading your wonderful music. I have to sing many 20th century works but listening to this was like listening to a rebirth of beauty. If this is movement three are there other movements I could listen to? I´d really love to hear them all. Is there a record release?
Where can I buy a CD? Since I heard about Else Lasker - Schüler in school I admire her very much. I´m very glad that I joined this wonderful forum.
N

Torsten Brandes said:
Hi,
I posted this also in the Introduction Forum. Think that was wrong. So here it is again.
If you like, you can listen to a composition of mine here.

http://www.ensemble-fnm.de/torsten/symphonische_kantate/3_satz_brandes.mp3

This is a very early composition and the recording of the first performance in Bremen/Germany
Performers:
Brandenburg Symphonic Orchestra
Brandenburg Theatrechoir
Sabine Passow: Solosopran
Conductor: Heiko - Mathias Förster
Words: Else Lasker - Schüler

Gebet
Ich suche allerlanden eine Stadt,
Die einen Engel vor der Pforte hat.
Ich trage seinen großen Flügel
Gebrochen schwer am Schulterblatt
Und in der Stirne seinen Stern als Siegel.

Und wandle immer in die Nacht ...
Ich habe Liebe in die Welt gebracht, -
Daß blau zu blühen jedes Herz vermag,
Und hab ein Leben müde mich gewacht,
In Gott gehüllt den dunklen Atemschlag.

O Gott, schließ um mich deinen Mantel fest;
Ich weiß, ich bin im Kugelglas der Rest,
Und wenn der letzte Mensch die Welt vergießt,
Du mich nicht wieder aus der Allmacht läßt
Und sich ein neuer Erdball um mich schließt.

Torsten Brandes

Dear Naiomie,
I should say thank you to all the compliments but than I thought about what you wrote. When you sing 20th century music aren´t you able to feel the beauty in other works of the 20th century? There are so many composeres who really extend into the next centuries because they explain and understand beauty much more extensive than I can do. When I wrote this cantata I really couldn´t do better although I wanted to but I simply didn´t have the knowledge. To call my cantata a rebirth of beauty goes much to far and by the way, when did beauty die? For sure, I was very pleased to hear your compliments but, sorry, it didn´t really taste good. Finally I hope that I didn´t hurt you with my words. If so I feel sorry. Maybe you think about it. Anyway, the cantata has three movements. You can order a CD at:

THEIN Musicpublication
Blumenthalstr. 8
D-28209 Bremen
e-mail: [email protected]

Torsten Brandes

Last edited:

naiomie

Dear Mr. Brandes,

with your criticism I feel described my slow awakening for the beauty of 20th century music. I mean Nono, Henze, Rihm and others. I must confess, I have really struggled with modern works I had to sing. I always felt that the amount of work was out of all proportion to the final result. For sure, often it was breathtaking and thrilling, but it never really touched my heart. All I wanted to say was, that your music has enduring beauty that touches.
Thank you for the address of Thein musicproduction and the Else Lasker- Schüler Gesellschaft.

N.

Torsten Brandes

Dear Naiomie,

thank you very much for your kind reply. If you don´t mind I´ll send you a private message in german. My english is not so good and so it would be much easier for me to say what I really mean.
What do you think?

Best regards,
Torsten Brandes

naiomie

Dear Mr. Brandes,

I got the CD today. I´m very much impressed by the whole work. Love the String Quartett aswell.
Thank you very much.

N.