Hi. I'm here to explore music.

Se7ski

Hi from Ok, USA. :) I've been learning to play keyboard and guitar. I have a huge interest in music from classical to folk metal, shoegaze, and progressive/alternative rock. My interests include Swedish, Russian, German, and other bands from other countries. I hope I can discover some cool new stuff here.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
:wave: Welcome to the forum!

You have arrived at the right place - we hope that you will enjoy your time here.

wljmrbill

Welcome to the forums..Many varied interest are displayed here..Enjoy as you continue your learning.. I was raised in Kansas..stay safe with these summer storms.

musicteach

Welcome welcome, you have certainly stumbled upon a wealth of knowledge. Perhaps we'll be able to help on your quest of musical discovery.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Hi from Ok, USA. :) I've been learning to play keyboard and guitar. I have a huge interest in music from classical to folk metal, shoegaze, and progressive/alternative rock. My interests include Swedish, Russian, German, and other bands from other countries. I hope I can discover some cool new stuff here.

Hello 7ski what on earth is shoegaze??

John Watt

JHC! When "hippy bands" began getting constant gigs onstage,
it became obvious there were two kinds of performance personas,
looking down at your fingers while you were playing, being a "shoegazer",
or shaking your head up and down, being a "headbanger".

Oklahoma! Where the wind goes sweeping down the plain,
and I'd be making lazy circles in the sky.

Sorry, when I hear Okie I think Okie from Muskoka, a little north of here.

Last edited:

John Watt

JHC! Asking me if I'm a shoegazer is not only a serious question, but dangerous too.
I have to start by saying I was a bright and shining face singing in the church choir.
The carryover from that is the most important part of my appearance anywhere.
I was a stagegazer at first, in some bands, with paper on the floor to help me out,
and a stageturner in others, with papers on top of my amp to get me through.
Only one song eluded me for over a week, rumpled and crumpled with the echo units.

The custom stage shoes I ordered when I first began playing in Toronto full time changed me.
I'd be moving around on the sides of my feet, the insides, on my toes and heels,
getting into Elvis style, soul and funk, as well as my acting out with my guitar and cord,
using the cord to lash the bassist, waving it across female legs, hitting cymbals with my headstock.
I passed on jumping offa amps and PAs, chipping a tooth when I jumped offa three foot high stage,
and I wasn't a hard rock hero anyway, being more of a prancer and dancer.
Aaaaah, the good old days, crawling on the dance floor, licking girls behind their knees, if I could.

If I'm going to play my best, musically, I'll be standing there, my body bopping with the rhythm,
watching my fingers on the fingerboard, with my floppy left foot for wah-wah and volume and the right for effects.
Once I start moving, even just to change a setting, it's hard to stop.
Especially if instead of bowing I'm using a riding crop.

Despite all the lights that have shone on me,
that heavenly transport hasn't come down to take me away, so far,
the one public effect I haven't hit on, yet...

JHC

I am so sorry if I have offended you John I just thought that compared to a head banger a shoegazer sounded more intelligent.

I spent over twelve years playing in bands, walking off all kinds of stages into all kinds of audiences, bold as the energy I put into making music, confident as to my professional appearance. In all that, no-one ever slapped my face, threw a drink at me or poked a ciggie burn in my clothes.

Last edited:

John Watt

JHC! The lunch call for home-made beef stir-fry was just paged,
but I'm so moved by your posting I have to reply right now.

You didn't offend me, no, not at all.
You asked if I was a shoegazer and I riffed offa that.
What I said about being called a shoegazer or headbanger became typical rock talk,
and your assessment about shoegazers being more intelligent than headbangers is right on,
because after a while a lot of ads for lead guitarists would say "No headbangers please".
I never saw one saying shoegazers weren't welcome.

But more than not upsetting me,
your putting up some previous lines of mine really made me feel good, even special a little.
Seeing it now, this could be my epitaph, the best times of my life.
It's the gracious aspect of this domain that keeps me here,
so consider yourself complimented, JHC.
After being a fine artist, graphic artist and sign painter,
orange became my favorite colour, what I painted my last vintage Volkswagen van,
because I wasn't seeing it or using it a lot,
and your choice of a hand written style font is one I could have chosen,
so your response is more than just appropriate.

JHC

You are very gracious John and I did visit your Facebook page and left a message :cool:

JHC

I just wonder where this place is??? just like NZ but it's not

Welland St Canada.JPG

John Watt

That could be anywhere in the Niagara Peninsula also.
There is no Welland Street or a street like this in Welland,
in case you're trying to be a vid-wit to me.
If I sent photos of the latest tattoo styles you might think Maori.
That surprises me, a lot of dark blue or black ink, up and down arms and legs.

JHC

You got me there John, I was just fooling around with Google earth and thought I would try and find you :)
Tats all over your face?? not for me.

John Watt

The free Google earth won't let me get the closest look, unless it's along the American border.
But that's okay, seeing the recreational path along the Niagara Parkway and Lake Erie,
where I go bike-hiking.
The free version gets down to where you can see a person standing up.
The paid version will let you see a dime in person's hand.

I can't say anything new about New Zealand because you haven't been in the news lately.
But that's a good thing, overall.

John Watt

A woman from New Zealand just won the Canadian tennis open in Toronto.
I think she had an oriental sounding name.

Who's Fonterra?
Is he another New Zealander who isn't making a play for Canadian tarsands oil?