Humourous alternative versions

Dorsetmike

Hearing "The First Noel" on the radio reminded me of kids version of the refrain we sometimes sang

"No Ale, No Stout, No Beer, Sold Out"

but I can never remember if there were any more words; some other "misquotes" just involved the titles like "I wanna hold your gland" and "Someone chanted Evening" (usually intoned like mediaeval plain chant) I also recall a comedy duo doing a version of a Tchaikovsky work which involved the line "I caught the 18.12" but can find no mentionof that one but it was hilarious performed to an audience in a Sergeants Mess back in the 70s

This led me on to recall this version of Dvorak's Humoresque

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=passengers+will+please+refrain&sm=1

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Sung to the tune We Three Kings:

"We three kings of orient are, tried to smoke a rubber cigar ... it was loaded, and exploded, now we're on yonder star"

The misnomer is that they weren't "kings" at all, and certainly were not from the "orient"

Dorsetmike

Another version of Kings

We three Kings of Orient are
Selling knickers from afar
Great, fantastic,
No elastic!
Only 3 bob a pair....

Would still scan with Stateside wording, substitute panties for knickers and cents or bucks for bob (old shilling)

Dorsetmike

In the RAF we had a verse or two for some of the parade marches but definitely not repeatable here even if I could remember more than a few memorable phrases, and a particularly ribald "12 days of Christmas"