Porcupine Tree

Cherry

My other favourite prog band at the moment is Porcupine Tree.

Boy, they are amazing, I highly recommend them.

"Blackest Eyes" is my fave PT song :)

Ronin

Thanks Cherry.
I will need to check out Porcupine Tree. Which album of theirs would you recommend?
I see they have many albums out!

Progger58

Hey, this is my current favorite prog band, I must say (just look at my avatar). :tiphat:

I have their complete discography and like them all, but if I had to chose a top 5 favorites, I think they would be these greats (In chronological order):

- The Sky Moves Sideways
- Signify
- Stupid Dream
- Lightbulb Sun
- In Absentia

Five genuine masterpieces!! :up: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm quite surprised to find so few people who also enjoy this band here, judging by the few replies to this topic... :confused:

Cheers,
Demetrio.

Art Rock

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Well, the thread is a year old and probably there were less people around back then. Excellent band, in my all-time top 5 prog bands.

Best albums:
1. In absentia
2. The sky moves sideways
3. Deadwing
4. Lightbulb sun

Best songs:
1. The sky moves sideways
2. Heartattack in a layby
3. Lazarus
4. Blackest eyes
5. Arriving somewhere

The other projects of Steve Wilson are also well worth exploring.

Progger58

Best songs:
1. The sky moves sideways
2. Heartattack in a layby
3. Lazarus
4. Blackest eyes
5. Arriving somewhere

Yeah, all these songs are brilliant and among my favorites as well. :up: Some other personal favorites are: "Radioactive Toy" (from their debut release, On the Sunday of Life), "Russia on Ice" (from Lightbulb Sun), "Don't Hate Me" (from Stupid Dream), "Gravity Eyelids" (from In Absentia) and "Anesthetize" (from their latest effort, Fear of a Blank Planet). :clap:

The other projects of Steve Wilson are also well worth exploring.

Indeed. NO-MAN and BLACKFIELD especially (even though I.E.M. and Bass Communion are also awesome). :up:

NO-MAN's Flowermouth, for example, is a geuine masterpiece. It features, among other guests, the presence of King Crimson guitarrist Robert Fripp, and his guitar solo on the first track, "Angel Gets Caught in the Beauty Trap", is something wonderful. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kind regards,
Demetrio.

rojo

(Ret)
I`ve listened to some Porcupine Tree songs and definitely liked what I heard. Maybe it`s time for me to revisit this band`s music more thoroughly.

doctortornface

Saw them live at The Carling Academy with Robert Fripp supporting,great gig, great band,great night.Deadwing was my introduction to them and is still my favorite.

Art Rock

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Just listening to one of Steven Wilson's side projects: Together we are stranger by No Man. What gorgeous music. I don't think there is any rock musician (with the exception of Peter Gabriel) that I rate higher than him.

Dissonant

Oh, I love Porcupine Tree! I'd say that In Absentia and Signify are my favorite PT albums, but it's hard to choose. Their song "Drown with Me" used to be set as my alarm's wake-up song. :p

Soubasse

I only have Deadwing to go by, but I love this album and it gets repeated and regular listening from me. Great "New Prog"

Fretless

I think In Absentia is great. I have the 2-disc re-release of Signify and found that harder to get into, but I also like it.

I own Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet, but haven't listened to them and am looking forward to it very much. I really like what Steven Wilson does. I kind of wish I would have picked up his earlier CDs when they were more readily available, though I suppose I shouldn't have a hard time ordering online if I really want them. :)

Soubasse

Just bumping this for no reason other than to say that Art Rock, I finally managed to take up your recommendation above and have at last procured a copy of In Absentia which is getting just as many repeated listenings now as Deadwing has previously - what a marvellous album! Blackest Eyes and Trains make for excellent opening tracks. I also particularly like Wedding Nails and .3 However the absolute winners were the tragic Heart Attack In A Lay-By and Collapse The Light Into Earth which had me in tears; simple, sad and beautiful song.

Must try to grab Fear Of A Blank Planet now - I'm well hooked. This story has a bit of a bitter sting though as they're touring Australia next month and it's highly unlikely I'll be able to afford to go! (Mainly because of plane fares and accomodation). I've even been in correspondence with Richard Barbieri a few times, but I doubt I'll get to meet up with any of them let alone him ... dammit!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Art Rock

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Glad you like it. Heart Attack In A Lay-By is my second favourite song by them, only surpassed by the epic The sky moves sideways.

Fretless

Fear of a Blank Planet seems to get a lot of bad mouthing by fans, but I think the album is fantastic and I've actually played it more than In Absentia, I think. The drumming in particular is jaw dropping.

Soubasse

I've only heard three tracks from FOABP so far and have liked all of them very much (especially Sleep Together - unsettlingly great). The video for FOABP was terrifying :eek: (but most of that opinion is from the parent and teacher side of me).

Oh and btw, the sting has gone :) and I have managed to scrounge enough cash combined with Frequent Flyer points and am making a very quick trip to Melbourne for their gig this Friday. The fact that Richard Barbieri also put me on the guest list was more than just a bit of added incentive!:grin::grin::grin: