The End of an Era

teddy

Duckmeister
The milkman, who has already cut his deliveries down from six days a week to three has now announced that milk will no longer be delivered in glass bottles, but now will be in plastic containers. As someone who can remember milk delivered from a churm into the womens milk jugs I feel that this is a step too far. The post now comes when they feel like it, rather than twice a day as it used to. What next? Bus drivers who only stop if they want to?

teddy (GOF mode)

musicteach

The milkman, who has already cut his deliveries down from six days a week to three has now announced that milk will no longer be delivered in glass bottles, but now will be in plastic containers. As someone who can remember milk delivered from a churm into the womens milk jugs I feel that this is a step too far. The post now comes when they feel like it, rather than twice a day as it used to. What next? Bus drivers who only stop if they want to?

teddy (GOF mode)

Teddy excuse my ignorance in this but where are you from? It's been a long time since I've seen a milk delivery man.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Our Milk deliveries stopped about 20-25 years ago our post is to be cut to every other day because of the www, we have no Busses or Taxis where I live its heaven in a kind of a way :cool:

Dorsetmike

There are still a few milk deliveries in UK, Apart from the possible inconvenience of carrying it home from a supermarket when you do a weekly shop I see no reason to have milk delivered, even from a cost point of view supermarket milk makes a lot of sense.

Average prices for UK milk

Delivered £0.79 per pint

Supermarket £ 1.17 per 4 pints = £0/29 per pint. The supermarket price does vary between supermarkets; cheapest I know of is Lidl at £0.95 per 4 pints, (=£0.2375/pint) Tesco at £1 per 4 pints (but for some reason £1.99 for 6 pints! = £0.33 per pint.

Just on price for me it's a no brainer, add to that deliveries in this area are in the very early hours, I've heard them at about 3AM, It's not unknown for them to vanish from the doorstep by the time the occupant gets up.

How long does your delivered milk stay fresh Teddy? My supermarket 4 pinter lasts me a week, from what I recall of delivered milk 2 days was the limit.

musicteach

Speaking of which when I was younger (I know it's been a while) my momma used to have it delivered to the house and it was $.35 for five pints if I remember correctly. But momma always paid $.45 for five pints because one of them had honey mixed in which made it a little sweeter. He usually came around 0400 but momma was always up that early anyways so it wasn't a big deal.

JHC

I can still remember the taste of school milk and not one drop has passed my lips since.

Chi_townPhilly

Sr. Regulator
Sr. Regulator
Our Milk deliveries stopped about 20-25 years ago
That recent?
Only have the vaguest memories of glass milk-bottles- and UN-homogenized milk (shake the bottle[!]).
our post is to be cut to every other day because of the www...
Latest proposal in the States is to eliminate Saturday mail-delivery. Yeah- a part of me will miss it- but then again, I miss record-shops, too...

JHC

I still remember the taste of school milk andhave not touched a drop for about 60 years

teddy

Duckmeister
MT - I live in Kent which is South East England. I believe insupporting local services as there are people who can not just pop out to the supermarket but rely on local shops etc. As far as freshness is concerned we have had no trouble storing it in the fridge, even over Christmas when it may end up outside the back door for several days due to an overcrowde fridge. Theft, very very rare down here in the 34 years I have lived here. The milkman stands it behind the Lavender herdge where it is not on view from the road anyway.
CH - I miss record shops as well and treasure my vinyl collection. The Sergeant Peper album does not look the same on a CD.

teddy

JHC

Sergent blidy Peper what on earth are you listening to, our local supermarket runs a delivery service for those that are unable to get into town as I am now about to join those ranks heaven knows what the charge will be.

Last edited:

Dorsetmike

Over here I think most charge £5 for delivery; I'd need to be very desperate to go for that, no control over what they dump in the basket, prepacked meat - the first pack they come to, not bothering if it's good lean meat or fat and gristle, similar with vegetables and fruit, bruised and battered; and most of it as near the use by date as they can get away with, plus unless you get very specific with the order most branded items will be substituted by "own brand".

musicteach

MT - I live in Kent which is South East England. I believe insupporting local services as there are people who can not just pop out to the supermarket but rely on local shops etc. As far as freshness is concerned we have had no trouble storing it in the fridge, even over Christmas when it may end up outside the back door for several days due to an overcrowde fridge. Theft, very very rare down here in the 34 years I have lived here. The milkman stands it behind the Lavender herdge where it is not on view from the road anyway.
CH - I miss record shops as well and treasure my vinyl collection. The Sergeant Peper album does not look the same on a CD.

teddy

I do as well, Teddy. It's been so long since I actually saw a milk delivery man, that to be frank I rather thought they had stopped it all together. My wife gets our produce and such from the local farmer's market, what we don't grow ourselves. She gets the milk and eggs there too.

JHC

My wife gets our produce and such from the local farmer's market, what we don't grow ourselves. She gets the milk and eggs there too.

Are your farmers allowed to sell fresh milk straight from the farm??? We have such tight laws on food a farmer can consume his own milk but is not allowed to sell to the public.

musicteach

Are your farmers allowed to sell fresh milk straight from the farm??? We have such tight laws on food a farmer can consume his own milk but is not allowed to sell to the public.

Do you want the truth on that one or do you want me to make something up?

Made up version:
Uhm yeah sure they're legal and everything

Truth:
I have no idea...the milk is good...we're still alive...so we drink the milk ;)