Adieu mon frère

Ian Moore

I would like to share my music with you. I wrote this oboe and piano duet a few years ago. It is a short extract so you only hear the oboe. The score is very complex but the music doesn't sound difficult. It is beautifully played by Christopher Redgate.

Ian Moore

I have updated my video. It now has a complete performance from beginning to end. It is a live recording. Please enjoy.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I must congratulate you for your ingenuity and creation. Certainly an original work, but not to my personal liking. Guess I'm too 'old school' in my ways.

I got weary of the interval jumps ... for me it lacked any kind of melodic theme, but perhaps this neo-classical?

Ian Moore

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to make a comment about my music. I don't notice the interval jumps so much any more. There may not be a melody in the conventional sense but there certainly are recurring themes. For example, there is a falling arpeggiated piano chord theme which you might be able to see in the top left hand corner of the thumbnail picture above. The oboe has a repeating Bb note motif from which most of the oboe part is created. It's very hard to convince someone to listen repetitively to a piece of music that they haven't taken to the first time. But I hope you do.:)

Albert

Ian, I hear a farewell to a lost brother in this music. I think it resonates the loss throughout. I hear cries of grief. I do like it. My wife would hate it. Chacun son goût.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
It did nothing for me sorry.

Last edited:

JHC

Classical from 14th - 15th cent to present day, Jazz, folk, kletzmer, not into pop or rock.

JHC

When you say 'to the present day' which modern composers do you like (if you don't mind divulging).
I like some works but not all of the following:
James Mac Millan, Meridith Monk, John Cage, Steve Martland, Toby Twinning, Arvo Part, Gareth Farr, Robert Aldridge, Aaron Copland, John Psathas, Thelonious Monk, John Taverner, Alfred Schnittke along with some I can’t remember, also at concerts I have heard premier works from various composers which were quite forgetable. At the moment I am listening to Schnittke’s Concerto for mixed chorus,

I assume this will tell you something about my musical taste, btw what instrument do you play?

I forgot to mention that tonight I will be hosting a music evening and will present the Violin Concert in two movements by Edgar Mayer (a fantastic Bassist) performed by Hillary Hahn, I can guarantee it will go down quite well along with 'among other works' Elgar's Cello Concerto, LSO, du Pre the 65 recording.

Last edited:

Ian Moore

I like some works but not all of the following:
James Mac Millan, Meridith Monk, John Cage, Steve Martland, Toby Twinning, Arvo Part, Gareth Farr, Robert Aldridge, Aaron Copland, John Psathas, Thelonious Monk, John Taverner, Alfred Schnittke along with some I can’t remember, also at concerts I have heard premier works from various composers which were quite forgetable. At the moment I am listening to Schnittke’s Concerto for mixed chorus,

I assume this will tell you something about my musical taste, btw what instrument do you play?

I forgot to mention that tonight I will be hosting a music evening and will present the Violin Concert in two movements by Edgar Mayer (a fantastic Bassist) performed by Hillary Hahn, I can guarantee it will go down quite well along with 'among other works' Elgar's Cello Concerto, LSO, du Pre the 65 recording.
You have a wide musical taste. But am I right in thinking you avoid the 'avant garde'?

JHC

You have a wide musical taste. But am I right in thinking you avoid the 'avant garde'?
As the jazz man said "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing"
Most AG music lacks the basics that make music enjoyable to me and a lot of concert goers, I really can't say much more! and what is your instrument?

Ian Moore

As the jazz man said "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing"
Most AG music lacks the basics that make music enjoyable to me and a lot of concert goers, I really can't say much more! and what is your instrument?
As a child, I learnt to play the tuba and the piano. But as an adult, I play a little bit of many instruments.

Ian Moore

Obviously to me avant garde has got "swing". I certainly don't see much difference between J Coltrane and some avant garde music.

JHC

Lets get back to AG music.
Do you mean ‘Avant-Garde Music’ as music that does not follow traditional methods if so in that respect you are partially right I don‘t listen to it twice, melody, rhythm, harmony and above all patterns have been the mainstay of western classical for a long time if these are present and recognisable in new music without needing a degree in composition most people will listen, if the music lacks this then you fight an uphill battle. You are right with Coltrane, I can take or leave him ... mostly leave.