Hello

PaperTiger

Played French Horn for a while, No longer have one to play, have a violin that I can play to save my life. Very much enjoy listening and playing music, It runs in my family.

Hope to learn a lot about music here

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
:wave: Welcome to our forum, PaperTiger!

Love to hear the French Horn as a solo instrument. Our church used to have a couple who both played that horn - played duets along with organ accompaniment.

You have come to the right place for your quest. We hope that you will enjoy the time you spend here.

We are a friendly community and look forward to your continued participation in the plethora of ongoing discussions here.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Always think of the French Horn as a very English instrument. Funny that

teddy

So then ... the English horn is French? :lol:

Actually, the French Horn is of German origin.
And the English horn is neither English nor French ... it originated in Silesia, (1720) a region of Central Europe, mostly in Poland and small parts Czech Republic and Germany.

PaperTiger

I knew of the German origins of the French Horn, Not the English Horn. I think those things are funny, I wonder how those names came to be. My assumption would be the the French and English Horns were popular among French and English Composers (Respectively) at the time their popularity was young. But I meet many people when I say I play the French Horn they have never heard of it, only after showing them a picture or something do they say "Oh I thought that was just a Horn". I guess just more convenient to say Horn than French Horn.

I really love the deep a full sound of the French Horn and there isn't much I think it could accompany. Though would be interesting in a Jazz band I bet.