• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Will GO run on Windows 10?

Mick Berg

Hi
Microsoft is offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade from Windows 7. I'd like to be sure that GO will run on it.
Thanks,
Mick.

Mick Berg

Backing up for Windows 10 install

Hi.
I am about to do the Windows 10 upgrade.
Do I need to back up the GO cache folder? Or will GO just make a new one if things were to go wrong?
Thanks,
Mick.

e9925248

The important data files are:

* The GrandOrgueData folder [saved sampleset settings]
* The GrandOrgueConfig file [GO global config]
* Your samplesets

There is no need to backup the GrandOrgueCache folder, as it is recreated on demand [in the default GO settings].

Mick Berg

EDIT; (since no one seems to have looked here yet -)
Due to a change in my computing circumstances, I'd like to ask the opposite question, does GO run well on Windows XP SP3?
I want to put everything for the organ on the old XP computer, so that I can release the fancy computer (Windows 10) for other purposes.
It seems that I would have to do quite a lot of editing of the .organ files to get them to work. Will I lose a lot of functionality and quality by doing this?

Thanks,
Mick

Last edited:

Mick Berg

I tried to run GO 0.3.1.1694 and it crashes. Any suggestions?
OS is Windows XP SP3 32-bit.
Thanks,
Mick

Mick Berg

Event the newest GO builds (eg. 1928) should still run on XP.

Is the PC SSE3 capable?
To my amazement I find that it is not, SSE2 only. (used CPU-Z to discover this.)
The computer is generally much wimpier than I thought, only 2 gigs of RAM and 32megs (!) of video RAM.

The nice thing about it is the SoundBlaster card and the KX project software.

Extract from CPU-Z log;

Specification

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
Package Socket 754
Core Speed 2009.9 MHz
Multiplier x Bus Speed 10.0 x 201.0 MHz
HT Link speed 804.0 MHz
Stock frequency 2000 MHz
Instructions sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, x86-64

Whats the highest version of GO that I can run with this, until I upgrade it?
Thanks,
Mick

Mick Berg

This computer needs a differently optimized GO build [GO builds are normally optimized for SSE3].

If you don't compile GO for Windows yourself [which is much simpler on Linux than Windows], there are such GO versions for Linux:
http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home:e9925248:grandorgue:noopt&package=grandorgue
I don't think so, the only thing I can compile is a shopping list!
I'll upgrade the computer as soon as I can. I must say I am tempted to try Linux though.
Trouble is I don't think there is a Linux version of the KX driver, and I want to continue to use that.
Thanks for yor help with this,
Mick

e9925248

Mick Berg

What does KX offer, that you would miss on Linux?

Linux is different. Drivers for well supported hardware is part of the OS.
I would suggest, that you try a recent Live CD (eg. https://ubuntustudio.org/download/ - if you don't have a CD, read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick).
If you're not familiar with KX, have a look, you would be interested. The author Eugene Gavrilov reverse-engineered it with no help from Creative. I used it originally as the only way to get more than one SBLive card into the computer.
Mick

e9925248

The author Eugene Gavrilov reverse-engineered it with no help from Creative. I used it originally as the only way to get more than one SBLive card into the computer.
Reverse engineering is not uncommon for Linux drivers, as not every vendor is providing open source drivers.

You still have not answered, what functions of KX you would miss/require under Linux.
Forget about ASIO, WDM, vendor drivers - these are Windows only things.
Linux uses ALSA: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Creative_Labs

PS: GO just uses the D/A converter of any soundcard. Even onboard soundcards support surround, so you get >4 channels without bying any special sound card.

wehtam721

Just wanted to weigh in on the original topic of this thread:

I upgraded the computer I use to run GO to Windows 10 today and just finished playing for about 2 hours with no problems at all. I did the in place upgrade, saving all of my files, programs, and settings, and everything was exactly as I had left it when I launched GO after the upgrade. The only thing that I had to do was reassign the midi devices to the elements in GO that they control. The new OS assigned different names to my keyboards, so they weren't controlling the intended things in the VPO on first load. This can happen from time to time I've found regardless of an OS upgrade or not, so it's possible this was coincidence anyway.

For anyone looking for the answer to the original question, GO works great in Windows 10 for me!

Mick Berg

Reverse engineering is not uncommon for Linux drivers, as not every vendor is providing open source drivers.

You still have not answered, what functions of KX you would miss/require under Linux.
Forget about ASIO, WDM, vendor drivers - these are Windows only things.
Linux uses ALSA: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Creative_Labs

PS: GO just uses the D/A converter of any soundcard. Even onboard soundcards support surround, so you get >4 channels without bying any special sound card.

Its a weird setup, GO feeds an Edirol UA20 USB interface, which also handles the MIDI. The UA20's digital audio goes to the SPDIF input of a SBLive card via TOSLINK, (in the second computer) this eliminated a lot of noise I had using an analog connection. The KX driver provides a graphic EQ, EAX reverb, and a highpass filter (adjustable ) and mono summing for the subwoofer (Aura Bass Shakers mounted in the bench). Until very recently KX only worked with Windows XP, which is why I introduced the second computer. The UA20 doesn't work with Windows 10, I haven't yet contacted Roland to see if a new driver is available. I'll look at the ALSA you mention.
Mick