JLS

Each time I try to upload an avatar, I get the message:

"Unable to save avatar"

I've tried jpegs and gifs of varying sizes(down to 80x80).

Any suggestions?

JLS

Nope.

Does the forum software automatically scale the image? The pics I tried are definitely larger than 80x80(though I did try reducing the size of one).

rojo

(Ret)
Automatically? Not that I`m aware of... but then this is new software, and I haven`t uploaded a new avatar lately.

What about the file size; maybe it`s too big? Up to 50 kB. In the past I`ve had to edit things a fair amount in a graphics program in order to be able to upload them...

Hang in there; we`ll get to the bottom of this, one way or another!

rojo

(Ret)
Hmm. Well then I`m not sure what the problem could be.

I moderate the classical board here, so I don`t have access to see what the problem is; I`ll have a look at avatar uploading anyway, and in the meantime, I suggest you PM either Rune or Thomas. Either of them will surely be able to solve your problem in no time...

Rune Vejby

Commodore of Water Music
Hi JLS,

Very sorry that I have not yet reacted to this problem of yours.
Since none of rojo's suggestions seems to have helped you I can suggest that you should be very careful when you chose a filename for your picture file. There have been som problems when uploading pictures with strange letters (æ, ø, å, ö, ä, ÿ etc.) and maybe even numbers can interfere with the uploading process.
Make sure to give your picture a short name with no spaces and only the most common symbols :)

Please write back if this does not help you.

Del Hudson

This is really Del's somewhat computer-savvy sister trying to help get his "avatar" uploaded. We are having the same problem as noted above. I have rezised to less than 120 X 120 and renamed it with no strange characters, as suggested and still it will not load. Help, please?

Torsten Brandes

Hi Rune,
even when I follow all your instructions it is still not possible to upload any picture.
And by the way, it is you birthday today. Happy birthday!

All the best,
Torsten

Last edited:

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
I'm sorry you are having troubles. I have verified this error, and will make sure that is is fixed ASAP. Unfortunately I cannot fix it right now because I need to have some permissions changed on the server for which I need the assistance of the hosting company, but I hope it can be done tomorrow.

Again, sorry about the inconvenience.

Regards,
Frederik

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Update: I found a way around the permissions problem and the problem should be fixed now! :)

Regards,
Frederik

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Hi again Torsten,

I have now fixed the profile picture problem as well, and at the same time I have increased the maximum size from 200x200 (64KB) to 480x400 (100KB)

Regards :)
Frederik