• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

anyone else teach pipe organ?

kas

Hi:
I've been teaching a local High School girl, who has already had many years of piano training, to play organ. She loves it and has learned her way around the console relatively quickly. The biggest problem has been learning to incorporate pedals with the manuals parts. This is presenting coordination problems and is coming slowly.
The amazins thing is, if I have her only play pedal parts, she can do it. She has an incredible spatial feel for the pedals. I can ask her to randomly play any combination of notes I think of, and she puts her feet right on the correct pedals....never looks down once. Isn't this a bit of an unusual ability for a beginner? Especially being that she is not really using pedals yet in any of her music!
Any tips or advice on teaching organ would be welcomed. I've played for many years and am currently organist at my church (Pennsylvania, USA), but this is my first time teaching someone. It's been a great and rewarding experience. I am a public school instrumental music teacher, so the pedagogical aspects of this are second-nature to me.

Best,
KAS

Thomas Dressler

I'd say maybe it's unusual to have such a feel for the pedalboard right away. Is this on a flat or AGO pedalboard? (After all these years, I still find AGO pedalboards more difficult to figure out than flat ones.)

In my experience, the most difficult part of the coordination that has to be learned is left hand and pedal. Even the lefties I've taught have more trouble with that than right hand and pedal. So the way I learned and the way I've taught it is to isolate left hand and pedal. Take a trio, for instance, and learn the manual parts alone, then one hand and pedal, then the other hand and pedal. It always seems to be left hand and pedal that gives people trouble. Many years ago I learned from a method book by John Stainer. This book is not regarded highly these days by many people, but I do seem to remember some left hand and pedal exercises that got me over that hump.

It would be interesting if you'd check this out with your student, isolating the hands and pedal, and let us know if this student has the same difficulty.

kas

teaching pipe organ

Hi Tom:
The student I referred to (that can hit notes accurately at random) is learning on an AGO pedalboard. You're right about the left hand/pedal coordination being more difficult. I also want to get her to eventually forget about covering the bass part of a hymn on the manuals since it's sort of redundant. Don't most organists only play the SAT parts, and just do the B in the pedals? She is totally scared of even trying this so far. I think undoubtedly the piano training causes some of this inhibition - used to playing every note that is in front her. It'll take time.

Thanks for your input,
KAS

pb05

Thomas Dressler said:
In my experience, the most difficult part of the coordination that has to be learned is left hand and pedal. Even the lefties I've taught have more trouble with that than right hand and pedal.
Quite interesting. Is there something inherent (and known) to the cerebral function that controls left hand movements, or the combination left hand-feet, and explains this?

Thomas Dressler

Yes, I do think it's important to learn not to double the bass part with the pedals and left hand. It's good discipline to learn to play the bass line with the feet and share the other parts in the hands. I had trouble with that, too, when I was learning, but it's important to learn to do that--it's a part of learning independence of hands and feet. Otherwise it would be too difficult to, say, play a tenor cantus firmus on the pedals and the other parts in the hands, or whatever.

I think a good exercise would be to have her play only the tenor part with the left hand and only the bass part with the feet, as an exercise, skipping soprano and alto for awhile. I believe you often get the quickest results by tuning in to what is the source of the difficulty and leave the other stuff out until you can conquer the problem.

Pb, I don't know what the actual cerebral function might be that causes this difficulty, but it would be interesting to find out.