Mozart's "Idomeneo"

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I was horrified to read that the director of this opera (scheduled to open last week in New York) had added a scene that was not part of Mozart's original work. The opera was cancelled due to a 'politically charged climate'.

Mozart must be turning over in his grave by now.

A few questions come to mind:
1. Why couldn't the opera go on as scheduled without the [unauthorized] added scene?
2. Does present day society give any person the rights to alter/add to an established Masterpiece such as this, just for their own personal edification?

Maybe my opinion is totally out of line - What does everyone else think about this idea on changing/altering/adding to masterpiece works such as these?

Last edited:

Gareth

Commodore of Water Music
Changing something like that is like destroying an old catholic church in Vatican city and said it was designed wrong and then building it differently.

Rune Vejby

Commodore of Water Music
I see no problem in this..... if only more composers/directors had the guts to do things like this..... I often changes rythms or sometimes notes when I play piano music...

Gareth

Commodore of Water Music
Hey Rune: Thats why Chopin and other composers in the Romantic era were there!

I reckon you can use stuff typical to the period of time, I heard this recording of Mozart's Sonata k545 no 1 in C major and I think it is great. The performer used ornaments that were typical to the classicism era.

But I don't agree with the opera, as they have added something that may go along with the story, but may not suit the music...ok, I'll stop rambling on...hope this made sense.

Gareth.