PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite composer?

Pages : [1] 2

johnnyzou
Apr-23-2004, 13:07
[list] Debussy [list] Stravinsky [list] Greg [list] Beethoven [list] Mozart
More composers are suggested if you could

corno
Apr-23-2004, 15:51
wouldn't it be possible for you to elaborate a little on your posts in general in here... they come off a little "empty"...

Althea
May-02-2004, 22:17
What about Dvorak!!!

johnnyzou
May-04-2004, 12:55
Sorry! My list is too rubbish in comparison. Dvorak compose nice music.

corno
May-04-2004, 13:26
In what way is your list rubbish? - you've mentioned some of the "great" composers... - don't see any rubbish in that, but maybe if you could elaborate a bit on your choices it would be a more interesting discussion - a list in itself creates little to no discussion at all...

Robert Spriggs
Feb-16-2005, 22:21
Bach can't be fogotten as THE master of harmony and counterpoint. Also hollywood wouldn't be there if it wasn't for Wagner.

corno
Feb-17-2005, 10:34
Well... as to hollywood I would say that Korngold had some influence (too).

For more information on Korngold see eg.:
http://www.korngold-society.org/

Robert Spriggs
Feb-17-2005, 16:45
Yes Korngold, how would they have made all of those great Errol Flynn movies without his scores! While were on that subject we can't forget Gershwin and my personal favourite Jerry Goldsmith.
But I think Wagner started the whole thing. His use of the orchestra was like an artist using a pallet. He knew exaclty how to 'paint' a scene.

David_Sercel
Mar-03-2005, 00:45
My favorite would have to be Bach. Followed by Mozart, Chopin, Liszt, Beethoven, and Handel.

David

Francoise
Mar-25-2005, 18:38
Rachmaninov and Shostakovich

Jonathan
Apr-06-2005, 23:39
Beethoven's music is unmatched in terms of sheer emotional power, while Mozart's music in unmatched in terms of perfection, simplicity, and beauty. To state that one composer is "the greatest" is very tough, as music is fleating: it depends on your mood at any given moment, and taste fluctuates with time.

For example, Beethoven's 5th is universally acknowledged as a landmark in western music, yet it isn't always appropriate. I personally wouldn't put myself to sleep on it! By the same token, Mozart's 21st Piano Concerto is a marvel, but lacks certain components that Beethoven's 5th symphony possesses. This piece, on the other hand, is good sleeping music. Therefore my personal taste depends on my personal condition at any given time.

With all of this said, if I had to create a list of my favorite composers, I would most likely say Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Puccini, and Grieg.

Alex Tiuniaev
Jul-18-2005, 11:48
1. Mozart (40th is my absolute favorite!)
2. Beethoven
3. Bach
4. Wagner
5. Liszt

As for Hollywood, Howard Shore is the best!

MEk
Aug-03-2005, 06:56
My favorite is Mozart. Although that's probably more to do with seeing the movie "Amadeus" than anything else https://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That and one of my favorite metal bands(Children of Bodom) have done some songs based on pieces of Mozart's music. I like other composers like Liszt, Bach, Beethoven, and Shostakovich. I haven't completely dived into the world of classical music yet though, there's so much music it's hard to choose what to listen to first.

Ghost Note
Aug-09-2005, 12:18
A lot has been said about western (in this case European) composers, but I would like to bring forth a composer from Japan, namely Jo Hisaishi. He mainly composes music for the Studio Ghibli productions (such as Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's delivery service...) and has for many years worked closely with the director(Hayo Miyazaki) of these movies. His style is a blend of western classical, but with hints of Japanese melodies and chordal flavourings which makes his music stand out as great anime soundtracks. Check out the soundtracks for the aforementioned movies.

Also on the subject of Japanese composers, seeing that I do not know of many female composers, I proudly introduce Yoko Kanno. A composer that doesn't adhere to one style, but goes from j-pop to classical music to electronica and beebop jazz, depending on what the project she is working on needs. Her music is not just dabbles at different genres, but successful works of music as she jumps from style to style. She is most famous for the soundtracks to Cowboy beebop (beebop jazz), the eightees "Macross" soundtrack and Ghost in the shell: standalone complex. A worthy mention is the soundtrack to Wolf's rain, wherein she mixes sorrowful melodies with great arrangements and ends up with music spanning several styles in order to give this beautiful anime series that little bit extra.

Frederik.Sjölund
Aug-09-2005, 14:24
Ghost Note, Yup, both Yoko Kanno and Joe Hisaishi are awesome.
A soundtrack that particularily got my attention to Yoko Kanno is the soundtrack of Escaflowne, the Anime TV-Series. Awesome series and i strongly recommend it to anyone who is into Anime. And everyone else aswell!

max-smith
Aug-11-2005, 15:45
Mozart the best https://www.magle.dk/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

------------
What Does Not Kill You Only Makes You Stronger (http://winfixer.f2g.net)

rojo
Aug-15-2005, 07:01
Well, I find it hard to pick a favorite composer, I like so many. I find it easier to proclaim my favorite piece (as some of you may have noticed from previous posts I have made.) I guess one could say I have favorite works by many different composers; there is just so much good stuff to listen to.

Hooray for all composers!

Frederik.Sjölund
Aug-15-2005, 15:32
Yes! Hooray for ALL composers!

Tony Bray
Aug-18-2005, 07:33
Debussy, Stravinsky, Bartok. Charles Ives. Does any one know of any good recordings of the music of Hugo Wolf?

www.tonybraymusic.com (http://www.tonybraymusic.com)

Olivier Cayatte
Aug-19-2005, 12:21
My favourite composers are :

Jean-Philippe Rameau
Johann Sebastian Bach
W.A. Mozart
Richard Wagner
G.-F. Händel

Olivier
http://farhad.efka.club.fr/rameau/index.htm

Montefalco
May-28-2010, 08:48
My favourite composers at the moment are (in no particular order)
JS Bach, Stravinsky, Ravel, Rautavaara, Beethoven, Scelsi

methodistgirl
May-28-2010, 11:30
I like the classical composers too like Beethoven and Bach. For the
more modern ones it would have to be from the 60s and 70 people
like Bob Dylan, Carole King, and Neil Diamond. Neil Diamond is a
classic in his own time.
judy tooley

dll927
May-28-2010, 16:44
What is your favorite composer? My favorite composer is a person who writes music. And given that they tend to be people, the question should say WHO ----.

superhorn
May-28-2010, 18:08
This is rather like asking a mother with 12 children which is her favorite.
I can't choose a "favorite" composer, nor can I choose a favorite work by any particular composer,or a favorite,conductor,violinist,pianist,cellist,horn player, or opera singer etc.
I don't even have a favorite book,movie,television program,food,drink, or color. I like all colors, and have never been able to understand how people can pick a favorite one.
Of course,I like some composers more than others and some works by the same composer more than others.
But here are some composers I particularly love: Wagner,Bruckner,Mahler,Richard Strauss, Dvorak,Smetana,Dvorak,Janacek,
Sibelius,Nielsen, Prokofiev,Shostakovich, Mussorgsky, Ives,Bartok, Berlioz,Roussel, Elgar, Copland, and Tippett.
But I enjoy music by many other composers,too.

teddy
May-28-2010, 22:45
I agree, a tasking question, but as far as classical music is concerned it must be JS Bach. There is a majesty about his work that exceeds all others for me.

teddy

nimrod
May-29-2010, 03:06
Some of my favorites who have not been mentioned include Shostakovich, Bruckner, Polenc, Ravel, and Barber. There are probably about 40 or 50 tied for first place. :nut::nut::nut:

wljmrbill
May-29-2010, 05:03
Mine would be on two ends of the stick so to speak. J.S. BACH , Handel and Puccini.

Corno Dolce
May-29-2010, 09:25
This is always a very tough question for me, as there are many of whom I have favs - But, if I may be permitted to use the term *bookends* for composers then JSBach and Sergei Rachmaninoff are the staples........

marval
May-29-2010, 13:09
Chopin. JS Bach, Beethoven, Handel, there are so many. Often a favourite is decided on by the mood one is in. I also like Greig very much especially this, which I find very moody and soothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR3N1yBEGbw&feature=fvsr

Margaret

superhorn
May-30-2010, 15:49
For recordings of Hugo Wolf songs, the master is the great Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, who made so many great recordings of the songs.
He turned 85 this month,and there are some boxed sets of some of his countless recordings being issued by EMI etc.

chippica
May-30-2010, 20:52
My favorite composer is Franz Liszt, and I already played many of his compositions, and I hope to play it all like Leslie Howard did...
I adore brilliance, passages, harmonies and virtuosity that can be shown while playing his compositions.
Now, I´m playing his first concert for piano and orchestra and it is absolutely amassing.
While learning it, my ideal is Marta Argerich and if you are interested, you can hear her amassing performance of this concerto on youtube.

Corno Dolce
May-31-2010, 08:33
Hi chippica,

Have a listen to the Transcendental Etudes by Sergei Lyapunov on youtube - You'll soon think that Liszt might sometimes be just a little overhyped.

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

chippica
May-31-2010, 17:15
Oh, yes, nice! He was inspired by Liszt and he wrote them in memory of
Liszt. But I don´t think that can be measured with Liszt´s Transcendental Etudes.
Well, that is just my music taste ;-)

Ouled Nails
Jun-01-2010, 02:27
Holy cow, Montefalco, you've been digging deep into the Magle archives!!!!

Hmmm. I don't think I've answered that question before. My favorite composer is a function of the place --locational-- the time --temporal-- the mood --moodational-- the world events --conjunctural-- and that ever evanescent state of mind, my emotional needs --psychological.

But, for the most part, I associate with the twentieth century because the rest is too old for me.

Montefalco
Jun-02-2010, 08:21
Today my favourite composers are Janacek, Beethoven, Wagner, Ligeti and Messiaen

Corno Dolce
Jun-03-2010, 18:06
Honorable ON,

I simply am flabbergasted by your very original statement in regards to your favorite composer - Kudos to you, dear sir...

Cheers,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

martist
Jun-05-2010, 17:06
I have different favorite composers

Tchaikovsky; Brahms; Beethoven

I played many of their works for piano booth solo and piano concertos.

Rachmaninov too...I like his concertos and the Sonata for Piano and Cello

JHC
Jun-07-2010, 00:22
Beethoven Beethoven Beethoven Beethoven Beethoven etc,
Yes there are other great composers but the OPs question asked for your favorite, singular. I will overlook the use of What

Corno Dolce
Jun-11-2010, 06:51
J.H.C.

Is that some *six o'clock shadow stubble* on your avatar? :grin::grin::grin:

Yes, I too will overlook - But just this time........

JHC
Jun-11-2010, 07:16
My word CD you don't miss a thing, I will try to be a little more subtle

Corno Dolce
Jun-11-2010, 15:22
No probs, mate...;););)

Ghekorg7 (Ret)
Jun-19-2010, 15:30
Hi to all !

Generic questions like who's the best, the favorite ect (best to be the common reference point) drive me to confusion and to absolute silence, since it's hard to answer with ease. one can have hundreds of best people all in 1st place cause any one of them give to him/her a specific emotional and/or intellectual stimulation - ejoyment - nirvana - happiness (and so on) at a specific time and place according to one's experiences, loses, hits, memories (and so on).

I say, it would be better for our forum, in my humblest opinion, if we pose our threads more specific in time/era/ genre of music - even inside the same genre (ie jazz has many eras - so who's your best on witch must go in perfect pitch with time/style era...).

In our contemporary lives our mood changes in milliseconds, so we found ourselves listening to Mozart then to Linking Park to Bach to Ellington to Dio to Williams to Beethoven to Beatles to Genesis to Pink Floyd to Beyonce' to W.Nelson to Sinatra to Pederezcki to Metallica and to an infinite loop (I would add Jean-Paul Verpeux here - we know him now in the living years!).
So much data to a modern person living in 2010.

Think that : How many composers did Bach had as reference ? 10 ~ 20?
How many are for us today to study in depth? Millions...

As I want to be part of this thread about composers (bein' myself one) and considering this is the Classical music forum , I have to answer in terms of classical era of music. And to consider what is the meaning of the word composer.
Composer of what? Any instrument, orchestra, chamber?What time?

Paradigm : if one selects Chopin as his/her favourite, means favourite piano composer and not a symphonic music one. Unless he/she listens only to piano music...kinda impossible nowadays, but if so, he/she must say it before posting - voting.

So, my vote. Best of all classical composers (all instruments /orchestra/opera ect) : Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Devine inspiration, freedom spirit, joy of life, humor when in big trouble, deep knowledge of any object, music from heavens....

2nd runner up Franz Schubert : the real face of life in every aspect,
3rd Peter Ilytch Tchaicovsky : the passion of mankind.
There's nobody in 4th place 'cause a hundred or so follow, all to this place....

My all time inspiration is Dmitri Shostakovitch, but he's not a classical composer, so he cannot be an answer, as are Bach and Bux.

Maybe I get some of you my friends tired/bored with my long (as very often) post, but this is how I am:)

Cheers
Panos:cool:

Corno Dolce
Jun-19-2010, 21:02
Br. Panos,

You are never tiring/boring - You bring light, life, and pizzazz to MIMF. Please, don't ever stop sharing.............Ok?

Cordially yours,

CD :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Ghekorg7 (Ret)
Jun-19-2010, 21:15
Thanks br CD. I'll never stop sharing. I promise.
Cheers and no tears
Panos

Ps. What's your favorite pizza? (unofficial MIMF inspired thread...)

JHC
Jun-19-2010, 23:45
Ghekorg7
I really am amazed that you have not even mentioned LvB, but I think we all have our favorites but favorites does not = best so we will never run out of composers to discuss or even argue about

Ghekorg7 (Ret)
Jun-20-2010, 00:52
Ghekorg7
I really am amazed that you have not even mentioned LvB, but I think we all have our favorites but favorites does not = best so we will never run out of composers to discuss or even argue about

It was a hard choice between Schubert and Beethoven.
Who's gonna say that he's not one of the greatest of all times?
My inspiration (Shostakovitch) had as his inspiration LvB.

But there's something with him I read in Stravinsky's "Musical Poetry". He says that LvB was the greatest arranger and master of variations, but he hadn't the gift of melody, as for example Verdi.
This is a hard statement, but the more I study LvB the more I intent to agree with Igor....
( the first thing in music is melody)

Studing the piano since 5&1/2 years old (I'm 48 now) I played a lot of Beethoven and he's in my heart forever.He was a furious passion.

He had as inspiration Mozart and Bach (JS and Emmanuel).
So, you see the chain?

Cheers
Panos - Beethovenized

JHC
Jun-20-2010, 02:19
OK, Beethoven St Qts got to be the best, his piano sonatas also have to be the best, sure Schubert is lyrical to the Nth degree and his Lieder Top Notch, I also think that Shostakovich was the next evolutionary step up from LvB, I love his Sym and St Qts.
I am just expressing my very subjective view on their music.

Ghekorg7 (Ret)
Jun-20-2010, 02:40
OK, Beethoven St Qts got to be the best, his piano sonatas also have to be the best, sure Schubert is lyrical to the Nth degree and his Lieder Top Notch, I also think that Shostakovich was the next evolutionary step up from LvB, I love his Sym and St Qts.
I am just expressing my very subjective view on their music.

...and you're just OK with me.As I walk the path I reccon that in many aspects of life everything is subjective. It's very hard to be objective when coming to art....:crazy:

JHC
Jun-20-2010, 02:54
...and you're just OK with me.As I walk the path I reccon that in many aspects of life everything is subjective. It's very hard to be objective when coming to art....:crazy:

I agree absolutely G7, it amazes me that so many arguments evolve on line over such personal perspectives, but having said that it is always interesting and instructive to listen to other points of view, informed or not

Even if they are a load of Bo//aks ;);) that is my attempt at humor:cheers:

Ghekorg7 (Ret)
Jun-20-2010, 16:28
I agree absolutely G7, it amazes me that so many arguments evolve on line over such personal perspectives, but having said that it is always interesting and instructive to listen to other points of view, informed or not

Even if they are a load of Bo//aks ;);) that is my attempt at humor:cheers:

Yes. One can recieve some little treasures from someone not considered by the majority as great/master....and authentic objective accepted status.

As I can judge from your avatar you've got a great sense of humor ! at least to my taste....:cheers:

Hey,...just came up : did we forget Haydn? Does enybody mentioned already?

Corno Dolce
Jun-20-2010, 17:01
Thanks br CD. I'll never stop sharing. I promise.
Cheers and no tears
Panos

Ps. What's your favorite pizza? (unofficial MIMF inspired thread...)

My favorite pizza? Funny you should ask - I love vegetarian pizza and just a plain old tomato and cheese w/ basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and cardamom - very thin crust please for both pizzas. Calzone made w/ veggies.........

Drooooooooooooolllllllllllll.............

Ghekorg7 (Ret)
Jun-20-2010, 18:20
My favorite pizza? Funny you should ask - I love vegetarian pizza and just a plain old tomato and cheese w/ basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and cardamom - very thin crust please for both pizzas. Calzone made w/ veggies.........

Drooooooooooooolllllllllllll.............

You forgot coriander !!! You must never eat your tomato without it !
Anyway, your pizza will be ready and delivered within 30 minutes, if not, is free of charge (I'm not Spiderman....):nut::lol:

JHC
Jun-21-2010, 03:12
Hey,...just came up : did we forget Haydn? Does enybody mentioned already?
Actually I prefer Haydn to Mozart, mostly.

Contratrombone64
Jun-21-2010, 03:59
I'm amazed I missed this thread, my favourite?

I don't have a favourite but I do have one I listen to more than most: Johann Sebastian Bach.

JHC
Jun-21-2010, 04:10
I'm amazed I missed this thread, .

You are slipping, this is not at all like you

Ghekorg7 (Ret)
Jun-21-2010, 06:00
I'm amazed I missed this thread, my favourite?

I don't have a favourite but I do have one I listen to more than most: Johann Sebastian Bach.

Come on David, leave Grand Master out of this... Could you give us someone else, please ?

Contratrombone64
Jun-21-2010, 06:03
Come on David, leave Grand Master out of this... Give us someone else, please ?

Why? it adhers to the intent of the thread beautifully!

No other composer do I admire so much through the breadth of their output, but the following come in my next tier:

Edward ELGAR
Antonin DVORAK
Pul HINDEMITH
Giuseppe VERDI
Igor STRAVINSKI

Ghekorg7 (Ret)
Jun-21-2010, 06:09
Actually I prefer Haydn to Mozart, mostly.

Haydn is one of the most serious composers of all time, but has something conservative inside... that kick is missing....
Amadeus, on the other hand, has the gift, the hard work, the power, the revolution and , as Dio would say, "Die young".....

JHC
Jun-21-2010, 07:23
I really hate to make lists, they change as my moods change all I can give are the composers that I am drawn back to time and time again: the old war horses, LvB, Bach, Handel, Choral music, look, it pointless going on I will finish with a list that says more for who I miss than include.
G7 Haydn had something that Mozart never seemed to acquire perhaps he did not want to, you say serious but maybe depth it is just that sound, I suppose that is not a good explanation

Ghekorg7 (Ret)
Jun-21-2010, 11:57
David now you're playin'...
As you see on my first (long) post on this thread I left Bach out of competition. He stands alone on top of all....

JHC I agree with change of mood and the long list of beloved composers.
I believe we're lucky to have them all and you know what? One life is not enough to study them....

Corno Dolce
Jun-21-2010, 19:34
You forgot coriander !!! You must never eat your tomato without it !
Anyway, your pizza will be ready and delivered within 30 minutes, if not, is free of charge (I'm not Spiderman....):nut::lol:

Rats!!! I forgot Coriander :shake::shake::shake::scold::scold::scold:

Oh well, there will always be somedays when one forgets to put one's thinking cap on...:grin::grin::grin:

Railton2
Jun-27-2010, 23:52
I don't listen to so much classical. But I love listning to film score's of John Williams, which is also kind of classical music :D

Teo
Sep-01-2010, 19:54
This is rather like asking a mother with 12 children which is her favorite.
I can't choose a "favorite" composer, nor can I choose a favorite work by any particular composer,or a favorite,conductor,violinist,pianist,cellist,horn player, or opera singer etc.
I loooove how argumentative to the question you are Superhorn!

You give me an approach to answer this question, since I have the same problem with the question that you brought up.

I get a great LONGING TO BE HOME from Chopin. Remembering his Poland. Also surviving (TB? Whatever he had). Beethoven I get the feeling of surviving things like an abusive father, all the health problems he had including deafness and not only surviving but shining and even creating "Ode To Joy" in the darkest times.

For bringing gypsy music to the symphony and piano concerto: Abbe Franz Liszt is my hero. He also transcribed LBV's symphonies for piano - which allows me to love Beethoven for symphonic prowess as well.

For roots rudaments I love Bach and Handl, but that's just because I have some of their scores to play. Diabeli and Scarlotti I enjoy for that too.

For romantic piano I always have to love Schubert, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Schumann and Clara Weick-Schumann.

If there were one composer I could take on a deserted Island it'd be a hard choice between Chopin and Liszt though, now that I think of it Schubert and LVB would be possibilities too.. and I don't mean to leave out Mo (Mozart), and I've started Spanish composers now, Falla, Sarasate, Lalo but what I'm getting at is this:

There COULD be a favorite for a specific thing. This would likely change as I'm exposed to others though. Great question though! Love racking my brain for which is the fave! Thanks googols Johnny!
-Teom

Pacific 231
Sep-03-2010, 00:07
Mahler, Richard Strauss (Specially orchestral works), Sibelius and Wagner, the main composers in my mind. But it does not mean I do not like the others.

zacharygriver
Dec-09-2010, 12:15
My favorite composer, Franz Liszt, and I have played many of his compositions, and I hope to play everything as Leslie Howard.

(http://www.bearshare.com/)

White Knight
Dec-09-2010, 22:31
As one of my fellow forum members so aptly pointed out in his post, it is very hard--if not impossible--to pick just one or two names from the great pantheon of classical composers. I would put it like this: among my favorites I would include Maurice Ravel for his piece "Bolero" which for me is one of the most riveting and exciting works ever written due to his innovative use of dynamics with the ever increasing and building crescendo with which the piece ultimately climaxes. Not being a trained musician, I hope I expressed his technique and its effects correctly; my apologies in advance to any other MIMF members reading this if I have erred in my usage of musical terms or concepts.:confused::cry::shake:

Soubasse
Dec-10-2010, 03:41
I agree with most others here in that picking ONE is nigh on impossible. However, having said that, I've noticed with no small amount of interest that when pondering this very question, I'll tend to look backwards through the eras of Music History (ie, 20th Century, Romantic, Classical, Baroque, Renaissance, Medieval, Ancient) and I tend to work my through in a circular motion (hope that makes sense!). More often than not, I find that my aim still falls on the man who so perfectly bridged the gap from Classical to Romantic - Ludwig van Beethoven. For me, there are still few who come close to him in terms of mastery (and thoroughness) of compositional technique coupled with emotional depth, the latter of which paved the way for the Romantic and 20th Century "giants" to follow.

However, I should at least respect each era and note that I have definite favourites from each:
Medieval -Hildegard, Machaut
Renaissance - Tallis, Victoria
Baroque - JSB of course, Corelli, Vivaldi
Classical - LvB, Schubert
Romantic - Berlioz, Schumann, Chopin, Franck, Saint-Saens
Impressionist (as a link from Romantic to 20th Century) - Debussy, Satie, Ravel
20th Century - Holst, Vaughan-Williams, Stravinsky, Messiaen, Alain, Vierne, Bartok, Ligeti, Shostakovich, Rachmaninov

QFE
Dec-15-2010, 22:34
In a 1,2,3 order; (with many other 'Greats' missed out...)

Symphonic - Sibelius, Bruckner, Bax. With Honourable mentions to Marx and Hanson
Opera - Purcell, Wagner, (3rd place undecided as I'm not a huge oprea buff)
Piano - Chopin, Beethoven, Rachmaninov
Organ - JSB, Vierne, Howells

And the special award for best award for best all-rounder - William Walton. Any composer who can go to a formal dance and stick a banana down his trowsers is a total hero IMHO. His music is bloomin' good too.

JHC
Dec-16-2010, 06:43
Maurice Ravel for his piece "Bolero" which for me is one of the most riveting and exciting works ever written due to his innovative use of dynamics with the ever increasing and building crescendo with which the piece ultimately climaxes. .:confused::cry::shake:
Indeed! IMO the greatest crescendo ever written it's a pity it is scorned by the classical snobs:(
[Ravel did not think much of it either, now I don't know what to make of that???]

White Knight
Dec-17-2010, 06:58
Indeed! IMO the greatest crescendo ever written it's a pity it is scorned by the classical snobs:(
[Ravel did not think much of it either, now I don't know what to make of that???]
Colin, Hi. I hope your wife is alright. Your revelation that Ravel didn't like "Bolero" is fascinating and something--among many other things--which I did not know.:confused::crazy: Thanx for sharing that and please let us know how your wife is. All the best--Steve.

JHC
Dec-17-2010, 23:14
Colin, Hi. I hope your wife is alright. Your revelation that Ravel didn't like "Bolero" is fascinating and something--among many other things--which I did not know.:confused::crazy: Thanx for sharing that and please let us know how your wife is. All the best--Steve.
Steve,
I picked it up on another music forum it was posted by a young man who's knowledge of music was far beyond his years, and thanks for asking, my Wife is OK her opp has been put off to Jan, just when we had all arrangements sorted, still it happens

Alban Berg
Dec-20-2010, 00:13
mmm....too difficult!

Martin

White Knight
Dec-23-2010, 04:48
Hi Colin, how are you this cold winter's nite? Do you know why Ravel did not think highly of "Bolero"? If you do please share the reason with us. I had never heard or realized that before!:eek: Peace--Steve. :tiphat:

White Knight
Dec-23-2010, 05:33
Hi Colin. Please extend my best wishes to your wife. My ear "procedure" is also to be done next month.

JHC
Dec-23-2010, 06:31
Hi Colin, how are you this cold winter's nite? Do you know why Ravel did not think highly of "Bolero"? If you do please share the reason with us. I had never heard or realized that before!:eek: Peace--Steve. :tiphat:
Well Steve it hot in NZ 30deg C. I suspect monsieur R thought it a bit crass, as it was a commissioned work he had to work within guidelines but you will understand all of that, google it. it was not his usual style which I tend to think of as expressionist as in Debussy btw I used to play a bit of Flute, Ravel and Debussy are just made for the Flute again IMO. also I heard a recording of musicians reminiscences on the Bolero it was hilarious, I wish I could find it. it was a nightmare for some I think the T Bone comes in very near the end an requires the player to play quite a difficult piece from cold so they were always a bit on edge in case they fluffed it.
I wish you well with your opp.