Queen

cessy

It is one of the most successful progressive rock bands during the 70’s. One of their popular songs is “We Will Rock You” that was even recorded by the boy band Five.

Art Rock

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Queen definitely had progressive rock leanings on most of their early albums (Queen II, A night at the opera coming to mind as best examples), even if I would not call them a prog rock band. The song We will rock you is not exactly a progressive one, but a relatively staightforward rocker IMO. Great band, one of my favourites form my favourite decade.

Farrahcat

Many people wouldn't call them a progressive rock band. What is their exact genre? Glitter Rock? Hard Rock? I’m not too sure. Maybe it’s more of a mixture, if there is such a thing. Anyway, I think Queen is one of the greatest bands ever formed. A lot of people will agree with this. I'm not into rock at all but I love them.

Queen continues to inspire bands and artists up to now.

Sybarite

Many people wouldn't call them a progressive rock band. What is their exact genre? Glitter Rock? Hard Rock? I’m not too sure. Maybe it’s more of a mixture, if there is such a thing...

I think that Queen are notoriously difficult to label – and rock 'n' roll loves labels (tribes). You only need to look at the explosion of new labels to describe very similar musical styles in the last descade or so – jungle, house, acid, garage etc.

They were fun, never po-faced and never took themselves too seriously (that disqualifies them from the prog rock label, then ;)). There are many tracks that are pastiche – the Millionaire Waltz, for instance. Bohemian Rhapsody is impossible to label – it's operatic in nature and ambition. Some tracks are rock-oriented without a doubt. Others are pop. They had few musical limits.

I'm not into rock at all but I love them.

I don't think that you're alone. I've met a number of people who have said exactly the same thing. :)

I wonder if the wideness of Queen's appeal is also one reason why some musical snobs are so anti-Queen? They're widely loved, but not considered 'cool'.

Cobalt

I think Sybarite summed things up very well - I for one would certainly put them in the "rock" category, though from there onwards I wouldn't know where to begin.

Perhaps they were too broad-ranging for their own good, and that by being such a unique band they made it intensely difficult for many to accept them as being "legendary". Many believe they were a good all round band but never really dominated a genre. Then again, plenty of others believe them to be one of the greatest bands ever to grace the planet, so I suppose it is all a matter of opinion :)

However, I proudly own a number of Queen compilations, and whilst I am not an avid fan, I defy anybody to dislike all of their material.

mentos

Maybe there should be a specific genre named after Queen. After all, it is very difficult to classify them. Why not make a "Queen Genre"? I'm not sure there would be other bands under that, though. Queen is simply unique. There's something irresistable about this band and I'm not sure what it is. I like Bohemian Rhapsody among others.

Vikas

I agree totally with mentos , there should be a separate genre called the queen genre the way they have inspired other people in setting up bands and musicals. An example "We will rock you".

They even entered the Guinness Book of world records for staying on the UK musical album charts for 27 years outlasting Beatles or Elvis !!!!

StuckOnBandaid

I think Sybarite summed things up very well - I for one would certainly put them in the "rock" category, though from there onwards I wouldn't know where to begin.

I definately agree that they can't really be classified except as a rock band because they were too broad-ranged. While some may have thought this was a bad thing, I think it just goes to show the creativity of Freddy Mercury and Queen and the willingness they had to experiment with new ideas. The influence of Queen in todays music is apparent, and it seems to pop up in numerous music genres. That's what makes Queen a classic band.

Debbie

To be honest I find it really easy to put Queen into a definative class and that is the one called 'Original' There never has been nor will there ever be another band like Queen. They are so well appreciated across all genres and this to me says it all. They are and will remain the cream of the crop!

Kaizen

Queen one my favorite old bands, is like evanescence, one of my favorite new bands. They are very hard to put into a definitive group because their music travels across so many spectrum's. How exactly do you classify a great song such as “Bohemian Rhapsody" or "We are the Champions" it is just impossible in my opinion.

StuckOnBandaid

Queen one my favorite old bands, is like evanescence, one of my favorite new bands. They are very hard to put into a definitive group because their music travels across so many spectrum's. How exactly do you classify a great song such as “Bohemian Rhapsody" or "We are the Champions" it is just impossible in my opinion.

Kaizen! When I posted my first response, the first thing I thought was how much Queen is similar to Evanescence. The styles are similar because like you said, they're original. Her voice has an almost classical or operatic sound to it but is done with rock music. I haven't heard anything like it and I love it.

Cobalt

They are both superb bands, and whilst Evanescence still has a long, long way to go, it is nice to see them experimenting a little and branching out.

almauro

Sheer Heart Attack was sheer genius. Talk about genres, this one has them all, including my fav, Stone Cold Fever. After "Night at the Opera", they seemed to start running out of ideas, and started rehashing formula and for my tastes, became way too commercial.

Nigua

Queen had some progressive moments but in general, I don't feel they are or were progressive, I'd rather say they were Cameleon-like, you know, changing with the times.

CScoot

I was fortunate to have seen them in, I think, '78 or '79 at the Forum in LA. I wasn't a fan, but went with a friend. The concert left me spellbound. What strut Freddie Mercury had and what a powerful performance. They are a true original and that's hard to pull off for anyone. I think they fit in the 'art rock' catagory.

Sybarite

Freddie is the only famous person that, when he died, I came close to actually mourning. Locked myself in my bedsit with two bottles of Bulgarian cabernet sauvignon, put the headphones and listedn to every track I had.

'Unique' is a word that is frequently over-used. But he was – and Queen were.

methodistgirl

I can say that the group was in music art. They also did some rockabily
with Crazy Little Thing Called Love. I like rockabily. The music reminds
me of Memphis Tn. with Elvis and the rest of the sun records gang.
judy tooley

jnbammer

Queen is one of the greatest bands of all time. Freddie Mercury was one of the few front men who understood how to have fun and truly command a stage. I also think Queen is hard to label, but the one that I've heard that seems appropo is Symphonic Rock.