Good morning from the US

CMB

Hi all -

I am a radio host in the US - FM radio as well as an Internet-only station, which Wunderhorn kindly gave a thumbs-up to on this forum.

Personally I specialize in opera, and hold an advanced degree in that area.

Thanks for the warm welcome!:grin:

CMB

--
http://classicalmusicbroadcast.com

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Welcome to Magle International Music Forums, CMB! :tiphat:

I hope you will enjoy this forum! Good to see you here as also (as well as on talkclassical) :)

Best regards,
Frederik

CMB

Favorite Composer?

Thats like asking which is a favorite pet or child - they are ALL my favorites!!

I can give you my "desert island" selections if that helps!

In no particular order, since I change my mind often.

1 - Offenbachs "Les Contes d' Hoffmann" - the recording with Shicoff, vanDam, Serra, Norman.

Some call this the "psychotic" Hoffmann, based on Shicoffs protrayal, but I like the lighter sound compared to Domingos recording. I think this opera does not get nearly enough stage time - it seems to have fallen out of favor, although every coloratura at audtions wants to sing Olympia.

I prefer the Oeser vs. the Choudens version, and will argue the merits of vocal color for each of the heroines - I think having one singer do all 4 roles is a travesty.

Ok, on to number 2:

2 - Don Giovanni.
Mozart all day would not be a bad way to spend the rest of my life.
Recordings? Harnoncourt, in period tempi with Hampson in the role, since damn, he's really attractive vocally and physically. Although I wouldn't turn down Dimi either, but my understanding from him is that he is will no longer sing the Don or Leporello.

I prefer a bass for Leporello - again that whole "vocal coloring" thing I'm hung up on.

3 - La Traviata - with Moffo, Merrill, and Tucker. No discussion, the all-time BEST cast. Cotrubas a close second, but I don't like Domingo as Alfredo.

4 - More Mozart, this time Cosi Fan Tutte, with Schwarzkopf, Ludwig, Berry.
Bartoli and Gruberova have a highlights disc out that is lovely when it is just either or both of them but Furlanetto just makes my skin crawl. Too woofy of a sound - Cosi needs a baritone that can float the sound - he sounds like he is trying to saw his way through.

5 - Der Fliegende Hollander - no specific recording on this one. In 1976, I heard a Met broadcast and immediately fell in love with opera. I was 12.
I know, I know... Wagner? Who would have thought?

Anyway, sorry for the long ramble, but you asked!

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

CMB

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi all -

I am a radio host in the US - FM radio as well as an Internet-only station, which Wunderhorn kindly gave a thumbs-up to on this forum.

Welcome aboard :wave: to MIMF, CMB. Sorry for the late welcome - I must have been partially asleep :sleep: at the helm :crazy: Been listening to your station this morning - an absolutely wonderful way to start my day :cool:

Lars