Music recording question

Komuso

Hi everybody,
I appologize if I wrote in a wrong place, I am new here.

The question is about Zoom H4 recorder
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4/index.php
Has anybody been using it? If yes, how good or bad is it? Any suggestions on what can be used for portable recording?

I am currently using Samson USB mic. It works fine, but I have to take a computer if I want to go out for field recording.

Thanks a lot

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Komuso,

You are in the right place. Mighty impressive recorder for its compact size and price of around $300 (USD) ... hopefully we will get some feedback here from users. I too have been looking around for such an item to record my keyboard improvisations.

Komuso

Thanks for your reply.
I am trying to record my flute with a keyboard. However my hardware is less than perfect, so my recordings.. .hm.. suck, I should say. I am working on improving it and on educating myself in the field of woodwind recording.

Eugene

Cobalt

For a portable recording device it seems to do very well and has had a fair few positive reviews from what I can see. The H4 offers great value for money, particularly when compared to similar units from Sony which run at around 5-6x the price of this unit.

There have been a few complaints about build quality knocking around and there are also issues with its ease of use. However, once you know your way around the gear you will probably be impressed with its sound quality. Just don't expect it to withstand too many knocks, as it seems Zoom insist on packaging their electronic devices in flimsy plastic (Some of my guitar gear is from Zoom and my only complaint is build quality - the sound is fantastic).

Komuso

For a portable recording device it seems to do very well and has had a fair few positive reviews from what I can see. The H4 offers great value for money, particularly when compared to similar units from Sony which run at around 5-6x the price of this unit.

There have been a few complaints about build quality knocking around and there are also issues with its ease of use. However, once you know your way around the gear you will probably be impressed with its sound quality. Just don't expect it to withstand too many knocks, as it seems Zoom insist on packaging their electronic devices in flimsy plastic (Some of my guitar gear is from Zoom and my only complaint is build quality - the sound is fantastic).
Thanks a lot.
I ordered this device today. When it comes I will record something and post a link here.
E.

sparky

Hello Komuso :tiphat: I am interested in the fact that you say you are using a Samson USB Mic is it a CO1U Studio Condenser mic I have just bought one it is very good but not the easiest to set up I am having trouble with the delay when trying to monitor when using Cubase SX, in the old Cubase VST which I have just upgraded there was a global disable button in audio set up which sorted this problem out but I cannot find how to do it in the manual or online for Cubase SX, there is no mention of global disable any ideas :confused: I will try anything :cheers:Cheers sparky
Hi everybody,

Has anybody been using it? If yes, how good or bad is it? Any suggestions on what can be used for portable recording?

I am currently using Samson USB mic. It works fine, but I have to take a computer if I want to go out for field recording.

Thanks a lot

Komuso

Hello Komuso :tiphat: I am interested in the fact that you say you are using a Samson USB Mic is it a CO1U Studio Condenser mic I have just bought one it is very good but not the easiest to set up I am having trouble with the delay when trying to monitor when using Cubase SX, in the old Cubase VST which I have just upgraded there was a global disable button in audio set up which sorted this problem out but I cannot find how to do it in the manual or online for Cubase SX, there is no mention of global disable any ideas :confused: I will try anything :cheers:Cheers sparky
Hi Sparky,
I haven't experienced this problem with this mic. I am using 01U with Magix Music Studio 11. I am not familiar with Cubase...

sparky

Ok Kumoso :tiphat:Thanks for that I will download a demo version and try it Thanks Sparky :cheers: will let you know how I get on.
Hi Sparky,
I haven't experienced this problem with this mic. I am using 01U with Magix Music Studio 11. I am not familiar with Cubase...

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot.
I ordered this device today. When it comes I will record something and post a link here.
E.

Hi Komuso ...

Did you ever get one of these units? I've been thinking about getting one myself, as the reviews are quite good. To date, there doesn't appear to be anything else on the market in comparison.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Update:

I've purchased one of these Zoom H4's and find it was everything it was supposed to be and a lot more. I'll be posting more about it and including some sound clips in another week or so. For $300, this is one great machine, and with its self contained mics, it make using it so convenient.

methodistgirl

I have just installed a little computer cam and mic that I bought today.
Now if I can only get these things to work myself.
judy tooley

JONESEY

Hi Krummhorn,

How do you think the Zoom H2 or H4 would deal with recording a good old pipe organ?.
I'm thinking in particular about it's input range - it's great playing with all the stops out to set the max input (sorry, I don't do technical recording terms!), does it pick up the quieter registrations as well?

I've often wanted to record what I'm playing so I can listen back later and spot my (probably) numerous errors!. This might just be the perfect gadget.

Do you have any recordings you've done?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Jonesey,

The H4 does wonderfully in quiet conditions as well. Here is one of the first recordings I made with it. I am experimenting around with recorder placement as this recording also picked up the manual stop changes (I have but 4 pistons and use those for hymns/liturgy).
This recording was made prior to the winter organ tuning, so there are some pipes that are kind of "hairy" ... :crazy:.

Once I figure out how to edit a very long MP3 (84 minute, 154 MB) file and split it into smaller chunks, I'll share more pieces (including a choral anthem), from the recording I made of our Palm Sunday service ... I put that large file on box[dot]net to share with family and the church staff, but would be happy to provide the url to anyone interested ... just send me a PM.

Last edited:

JONESEY

Hi Krummhorn - that was a really nice recording, the quality is excellent.
Very nice playing as well.

Hopefully I can get one of these this year and then do some recordings. I will post them on my site, so anyone who's interested can take a listen and provide me with some hints and tips.