earphones..

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of replacing (expanding my "collection"
wink.gif
) my beyerdynamic dt 990pro earphones with a closed-earphone version - maybe the beyerdynamic dt 770pro - which should be a closed version of the one I already have... - but I'm interested in what any of you might have of experience in this area... - I find that the 990pro gives a clear and wellrounded sound, good at enhancing the bass region and giving a full sound, which a normal set of speakers in a room with some noise other than the music, has a little trouble creating... - but I'm looking for a more "noise-free" sensation... so I'm on the lookout... - any recommendations are welcome
smile.gif

hitsware

Best bet is to find a store with a wide selection. Take along a CD (or whatever) that you are very familiar with. Compare the differant units. Not only are everyones ears differant (in a technical sense), but tastes vary radically. So the 'best' unit is a personal thing...mike

corno

Sr. Regulator
thanks for your reply mike...
yeah, that it's the way to go in the end, but I was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions of headsets for me to try out - something they use themselves... but in the end I'll have to make the decision... naturally...
smile.gif

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Generally I prefer the sound of semi-closed headphones to closed ones, but I suppose you need the closed ones for a reason. However, unless it's very important, I suggest staying with semi-cosed - personally I also find that closed headphones are not very comfortable to listen to for longer periods of time. Thats at least the expereince with the ones I tried.

I don't know the market (these days) enough to make any recommandations.

corno

Sr. Regulator
hmm... I'll go in and try them out... - the beyerdynamic series has a pair of "fluffy" earpieces/pads which makes them easier to wear for a longer time - or so it says, and the 990pro which I have at the moment is very good in that way... - the 770 should also feature the same pads so maybe it isn't that big a problem with them... - but I'll have to try them out... - what do you use in your studio Frederik? headphones or a set of speakers hooked up to some sort of amp? or a combination?

hitsware

>I also find that closed headphones are not very comfortable to listen to for longer periods of time.

Yea! They give me sort of an 'aural claustrophobia'
So do the open ones but not as bad........mike

corno

Sr. Regulator
well... I think that most headphones that one puts on, around the ears, gives some sence of "claustrophobia" - but in this case it is a deliberate search for some headphones which can be used, without having to be interrupted by the other sounds in the room... and here are my "open" beyerdynamic headphones not that great really... the sound in them are near perfect... - there's also a limit to what one can get for around 1.500 dkr
smile.gif
- but the let too much sound in that are not supposed to be there
smile.gif

Pamadu

Civilian
Corno.....Give the "Fluffy" beyerdynamic ones a go...It's a Problem we all have I think....I personally use a combination of BOTH....If the ears get sore/I hook up the speakers...If the Outside noise gets too much,I go in the reverse...Hope You Find a "Personal" Compromise to this Prob. Cheers
cheers444.gif
Pamadu/Paul.

KJC

I listen mostly to classical (a lot of pipe organ music), as well as some jazz and some international music, and I've been using a pair of Sennheiser HD25 SP 'phones for six years now. These combine the virtues of open and closed headphones in that they do block out some of the background noise, but do not leave you with that unpleasant pressurized feeling. Also, they are quite light, small, and easy to take along when one is traveling.

I've also owned a pair of Sennheiser HD 580 "Jubilee" headphones for nearly 10 years now, and, as a much costlier, open design, these do offer slightly more transparency, air, and detail, however I find the HD25s better in terms of long-term wearing comfort. The 25s also emit far less sound (i.e. to the outside) than the 580s which is a decided advantage in many situations. I've never tried Beyerdynamic.

corno

Sr. Regulator
Hey KJC,

Thanks for writing on this topic.
I still use my beyerdynamic 990s - haven't found a replacement yet... - I have been looking at the top Sennheisers HD 650 and 600 - but I can't for the life of me decide if they are worth as much as they are priced at... considerably more than, the HD25s you mention...

Hyper-draw

Hi'

I have very good experience with the AKG 270 - it got a clear and not enhanced sound. (and its a closed h.p) defently worth checking out if you are looking for a good closed h.p) Price in Denmark about 150 euro.

best regards

Hyper-draw