What machine or technology has made the biggest difference in the world?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
In your own words, explain 'why' if you so desire.

My response: RF transmissions for radio, television, and communications. It still baffles me how radio signals can pass through most solid objects. I understand the theory and all, but how something we cannot 'see' can travel through glass and walls still boggles my mind.

Ouled Nails

Any electricity producing technology. I am reminded of our great need for electricity every time there occurs a power outage, like the great ice storm in the Northeast a few years back. No power for several days, in the middle of winter, completely changed our lives. And, by the way, the old portable radio was one of the few things that still worked!

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I'll agree with that, Corno Dolce ... worked for nearly 25 years for a government contractor in electronics ... that stuff still amazes me.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi Krummhorn,

Quantum Computing is the next up and coming field where much research is happening and the fruits are ripening but there is still much to do before it can be used by John and Mary Q. Public.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce

sunwaiter

let's chill out a bit...

ok, i would say, as a music addict (like you if got it well), laser technology.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Fly-by-light technology(using laser light pulses) has been in use for flight control since 1970 on experimental aircraft and it is starting to become standard on certain military aircraft.

Last edited:

C5Says

the internet!!! :) communication got faster, which solves problems faster...or at least made known faster...and a lot cheaper than snail mail...

i recall the movie THE POSTMAN by Kevin Costner...nice film.

sunwaiter

the wheel is a good one, but it led us to cars. i still have a problem with cars.

along with laser technology i would mention eolian electricity generation.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
the wheel is a good one, but it led us to cars. i still have a problem with cars . . .

I too, would rather see less dependence on the automobile, but in a metro area, like where I live, the expanse of the region is beyond reach just solely relying upon public transportation.

Sure, I could probably use public transportation (if it existed that early in the morning hours - which it doesn't) to my church job on Sunday mornings, but the travel time would, including transfers, and endless wait times, in totally uncovered areas, take about 4 hours each way ... the distance is about 13 miles, a trip I can drive in 25 minutes, and only expend a half gallon of fuel (less than $1 in current fuel prices here).

Without a car here, one becomes quite limited in where they can go or do.

sunwaiter

same in my region and anywhere, as you know. i was born in paris and grew up in one of its suburb, then i'm used to all kinds of public transport services, which looks familiar and most of all natural to me. but each time i have to follow people in the country side, or when i need some exotism (that's to say have a view on the sea, or spending just one day without any machinery noise) i find myself quite stupidly powerless, and dependant. therefore i understand very well the oyuth of the neighbourhood, and all over the country, when they seem so mesmerized by cars, bikes, scooters, etc. i understand what's the point in purchasing a car when you haven't enough food at home. but since i'm a parisian, i will undoubtedly remain a pure pedestrian who loves travelling by train and bus.