Yet another hello

Soubasse

Hello to the Magle forum,

Very happy to have stumbled across this one. There are a number of threads and topics here that are of great interest to me. And I'm also happy to have found a forum where I can clearly talk as comfortably about the likes of Bach, Franck, Alain or Messiaen as I can about Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Peter Gabriel or Porcupine Tree!!

I'm from South Australia (not by choice mind you - I hate hot weather) and I've been an organist for many years. I've been one of the regular organists at Adelaide's St Francis Xavier's Cathedral for I think about 17 years now. I've played quite a few recitals on our now magnificent town hall organ (J W Walker & Sons) and have the grandest memories of playing many superlative instruments around the UK, France, Canada and Sweden in my travels over the past 10 years.

I'm a huge fan of Prog Rock. My wife and I still count our meeting with Yes - and a couple of years later Rick Wakeman - high up on the list of significant lifetime events such as our wedding and the birth of our son!! I also play in a Prog band which is in a bit of a hiatus at the moment. Another monumentally significant meeting for me was a private 'audience' with Madame Marie-Claire Alain to talk with her at length about Jehan's life and work. Jehan Alain would be my biggest influence and inspiration when it comes to the organ repertoire, along with a number of his contemporaries.

Musically, that's me in a nutshell! But it's not over yet ...

Cheers,
Matt

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Howdy Matt :wave:

Welcome to the Magle forums. That's quite a nutshell there - a wide range of musical interests for certain. Looking forward to your participation around the different boards.

Lars

Jeffrey Hall

Greetings Matt,

I am likewise brand new to the forum...welcome. While my primary love is classical, I enjoy quite a bit of rock including Yes. Though I may be dating myself, I think the construction of several of the songs from 90210 -- I'm thinking of Changes, Hearts, and especially It Can Happen -- represent some of the most carefully constructed rock I've heard.

I'm also an organist, and what a great experience it must have been to converse with Marie-Claire! I do not have any Alain in my fingers myself, but one of the greatest works in the organ repertoire IMO is the Durufle P&F on ALAIN, and such a heartfelt tribute.

Nice to meet you just as I have signed up, and hope to talk with you here on the boards.

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Welcome to Magle International Music Forums, Matt! :tiphat:

I'm glad you found us! Looks like this forum is becoming the place for prog rock and organ aficionados to meet :) I will be looking forward to see you around!

Best regards,
Frederik